Jul 3, 2009
Singapore

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40136775@N03/3689979502/

I am interested in photography but havn't got any chance
to get to know more about it..hope you guys can comment on
my picture taken by my handphone.

And should i get a holga 120N? or can you recommand any cameras
that are suitable for me,a newbie? thank you very much

I don't think you should mess around with a made in China medium format film toy camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40136775@N03/3689979502/

I am interested in photography but havn't got any chance
to get to know more about it..hope you guys can comment on
my picture taken by my handphone.

And should i get a holga 120N? or can you recommand any cameras
that are suitable for me,a newbie? thank you very much

1. This is not a critique gallery section.
2. I suggest just getting a simple, cheap point and shoot. A Holga may be too advanced for you. Learn to walk before you try to run.

SPECIFICATION OF HOLGA 120N

Camera type:Box camera
Image sensor type:Film
Recording medium: 120 film
Lens system:60mm plastic
Focus type:Manual
Shutter speed:1/100, 1/125 and Bulb
Aperture: F8 and f11

I am sorry about posting a picture here..
simple, cheap point and shoot? Just a digital camera first?
Thank you for answering my questions

I am sorry about posting a picture here..
simple, cheap point and shoot? Just a digital camera first?
Thank you for answering my questions

Yes. Start simple, start small. Learn about composition first.

Okay,sure. Thanks. Any models to recommand?

Okay,sure. Thanks. Any models to recommand?

Anything from Sony, Canon, Fujifilm or Panasonic that fits your budget.

i tried my friend's Canon Powershot sx 200IS, it takes pretty pictures,is it okay for newbie like me?Thanks

i tried my friend's Canon Powershot sx 200IS, it takes pretty pictures,is it okay for newbie like me?Thanks

If you feel like you can use it and you can find the shutter button, why not? In the end, it's YOU who will use the camera, not US. So get one that fits your budget and feels ok to use.

I saw your photo, and I think you do have a composition and concept before snapping the photo.

Holga 120N is relatively cheap, so I do not see why you should not get it.
However, do note that the costs of processing can be much more expensive compared to a PnS camera in the long run.

Maybe a canon ixus 100is is good for you.

for more info, check out my article on compacts in article and guides sub-forum.

the reasons i dont recommend holga is because it runs on film which could cost alot, and that 120 film is relatively harder to find and develop.

You might wanna get a better compact that has lots of controls. It will help you tremendously to understand photographic terms and formulas. Very useful if you're planning to upgrade to a DSLR in the future.

Get a compact with at least the following controls:
- Priority Mode: Apperture (Av) & Shutter (Tv)
- Manual Mode (real ones with metering scale)
- Manual ISO choice

I can recommend Ricoh GX series, Panasonic LX3 and Canon G series. Fuji EXR200 should give good image quality too but I think it has less controls.

You might wanna get a better compact that has lots of controls. It will help you tremendously to understand photographic terms and formulas. Very useful if you're planning to upgrade to a DSLR in the future.

Get a compact with at least the following controls:
- Priority Mode: Apperture (Av) & Shutter (Tv)
- Manual Mode (real ones with metering scale)
- Manual ISO choice

I can recommend Ricoh GX series, Panasonic LX3 and Canon G series. Fuji EXR200 should give good image quality too but I think it has less controls.

Sure. thanks alot!! been learning alot from here. thanks!!

get like an advanced point and shoot...
maybe a canon G9? they go for about $600 at buy and sell

get down the fundementals of photgraphy then move on to a dlsr when you feel the need to...

To be fair, you dun need to first get a PnS cam or a prosumer cam before you can get a DSLR. You can get DSLR straight away, but do start small as in to get a entry level cam. Build the basics from there. I think that it would be a good start.

Frankly speaking, alot of people starting out with a PnS tend to do alot of shorcut due to the fact that they where they just... well... point and shoot. But what I would like to stress is that whoever is coming into this hobby, that person need to learn the basics. Be it using a PnS, Prosumer or DSLR. Learn and apply by shoot, shoot and shoot.

get like an advanced point and shoot...
maybe a canon G9? they go for about $600 at buy and sell

get down the fundementals of photgraphy then move on to a dlsr when you feel the need to...

Thanks. May i know what is advanced point? sorry if i sound stupid..

To be fair, you dun need to first get a PnS cam or a prosumer cam before you can get a DSLR. You can get DSLR straight away, but do start small as in to get a entry level cam. Build the basics from there. I think that it would be a good start.

Frankly speaking, alot of people starting out with a PnS tend to do alot of shorcut due to the fact that they where they just... well... point and shoot. But what I would like to stress is that whoever is coming into this hobby, that person need to learn the basics. Be it using a PnS, Prosumer or DSLR. Learn and apply by shoot, shoot and shoot.

Thanks. May i know what is the difference between PnS,Prosumer and DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.