Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilyd

May 21, 2009
Yishun
I need some help here.

I have an upcoming event. A music concert. I'm using a canon 450D with the standard kit lens. I'm wondering what kind of settings should i be using cause i know nothing :cry: about low-light photography. I will not be bringing a tripod though cause i will be running around during the event.

So will any kind soul please give me some tips.

Thank you very much. I appreciate you guys taking your time to read this thread :)

what kind of lighting will there be at the location
at least bring a monopod and a fast lens
is flash allowed?

also find out the highest ISO you can accept and use that
will the final images be printed on 4R prints?

if so, then do some test shots at different iso speed and print them to 4R, visually see what is acceptable and what is not

since i'm still new, i'm stuck with the standard kit lens. and i dun have a monopod.

I'm not sure about the lighting. its pretty much like those in orchestra concert i guess.
flash is not allowed.

I've heard about people saying that setting a higher ISO would help.

also find out the highest ISO you can accept and use that
will the final images be printed on 4R prints?

if so, then do some test shots at different iso speed and print them to 4R, visually see what is acceptable and what is not

Nope...will not be printed. Thanks for the tips.

get a fast lens like 50mm 1.8 (cheaper) or 85mm 1.8 (exp) and/or a flash to help u with.

then, do the test and see on screen what is the highest ISO speed that is acceptable to you
high ISO comes with digital noise

also test and see what is the slowest shutter speed that you can hand hold your camera with camera shake
when shooting brace yourself to something (wall, chair, pillar)

btw welcome to CS

Last edited:
ok...thank you guys for all the tips.

hisokaka: i dun intend to get a lens yet as if still new and still learning all the modes on my camera.

ortega: thank you. i'm still a newbie in photography and i'm glad i found this forum

since flash is not allowed and you are doing events, you may need 2 cameras. One fitted with short range like 17-55 IS f2.8 and another with 70-200 IS f2.8. I really hope its a well paid job you are taking.

Also, recommend bringing a monopod along....music concerts especially those with dancing involved is a lot like sports photography.

If you are allowed to get up close, a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the very least the 50mm f1.8 if you can really really get up close.

By the way, dont save shots for low light events...take as many photos as humanly possible.

If the noise gets too bad, try using some noise reduction software. Experiment if it if u have time. You may be able to use a higher ISO setting

since flash is not allowed and you are doing events, you may need 2 cameras. One fitted with short range like 17-55 IS f2.8 and another with 70-200 IS f2.8. I really hope its a well paid job you are taking.

Also, recommend bringing a monopod along....music concerts especially those with dancing involved is a lot like sports photography.

If you are allowed to get up close, a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or the very least the 50mm f1.8 if you can really really get up close.

By the way, dont save shots for low light events...take as many photos as humanly possible.

its not a paid job...its my sec sch band aniversary and i wanna keep my own memories of the event. I'm learning photography not to get paid for it but its a new hobby that i've taken up

Status
Not open for further replies.