Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime

Mar 24, 2002
AMK
Visit site
Hi,

I just own a c2040z.
I've notice that when I took photo, with the [ ] of the LCD focusing on a person about 1 m away and the background is about 1 km away, the photo will usually come out in such a way that the person is blur while the background is sharp.

Camera <---1 m---> Person <------1 km------> Background Object

May I know what's wrong?
What are the solution?

Thanks!

Is the problem due to the aperature?

Your [ ] thing is aiming at the people or the background? Try aiming the [ ] at the people 1st. depress the shutter halfway then shift the [ ] to the location where you desire then shoot.

Originally posted by Xpose
Your [ ] thing is aiming at the people or the background? Try aiming the [ ] at the people 1st. depress the shutter halfway then shift the [ ] to the location where you desire then shoot.

Thanks Xpose,
Actually, I did exactly as what you've written, in fact, I din even shift the [ ] away. I aim at the people, press half way, when the LCD auto focus & brighten up, then I snap. I even use a tripod.
But the people still blur, background quite sharp...

how was the lighting? maybe it was too dim for the autofocus to work accurately. Actually next time you can check the focus before you press the shutter fully, by doing a half-press. If your subjects are not in focus, release the shutter and half-press again. The C700uz is smart enough to know that you didn't like the focus and will try to search for another possible focus subject, so I assume the c2040 is the same too.

btw, checking the focus using half-press can only work with the LCD, not with the optical viewfinder.

try spot metering..... normally if the whole picture focus will be average our by all the segments of the pictures, if your backgrround is alot and foreground is little then the focus might be far away......

spot metering will put more weight on the centre or the bracket [ ]

Originally posted by looteer
try spot metering..... normally if the whole picture focus will be average our by all the segments of the pictures, if your backgrround is alot and foreground is little then the focus might be far away......

spot metering will put more weight on the centre or the bracket [ ]

spot metering only affects the exposure metering but will not affect focus at all.

Thanks everyone for your reply.

After a study on my photos and searching through the forum,
I think I've come out the possible problem:

1. Background object maybe too bright.
2. My "model" maybe too close to camera.
3. My "model" maybe moved.
4. Exposure time maybe too long.
5. May be too much strength on my final press on the camera.
6. X Files :dunno:

Wow, not easy to take a good photo with digital camera. :cry:

Will keep trying.

Thanks again guys! :D

spot metering only affects the exposure metering but will not affect focus at all.

is that so?? all along i thought it was for focusing......now that's something important i learned today......:eek:

Originally posted by looteer

is that so?? all along i thought it was for focusing......now that's something important i learned today......:eek:

yar...the name implies it is for metering only. For point(s) focussing, usually there will be laser-etched focussing points on the viewfinder, and the points used for focussing will be indicated when you half-press the shutter. So you can actually select the point(s) that you want to focus at. This feature is present typically on SLRs, although the new A30/A40 and Minolta DCs have got focussing points....

So for our olympus DCs, we have to trust its iESP metering to work the way we want it to work. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.