HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me look into the future and fortell the lighting conditions.. seriously, there's no magic formula setting, shutter speeds are what you need to be looking at for freezing motion or panning..

... If you don't know the answer, maybe you should reconsider taking this job / volunteering if that's the case. As J-Chan said, there's no magic formula. Since I don't normally shoot sports, the best I can suggest is:

1) Get someone to volunteer to run so you can test various speeds
2) Set shutter priority and try faster / slower shutter speeds to see which is the slowest you can do and still freeze the movement (Try 1/200 or faster as a starting point.)
3) Adjust ISO as necessary to make sure the exposure is okay

i wanted to know what exposure or APERTURE.
actually the place is at yck stadium..

There is NO MAGIC figure.

If you want to freeze motion, you need more than 1/200s speed... and if you want more of the pic to be clear, you'd need a smaller aperture.

BUT if there is not enough light (i.e. cloudy, overcast day) then good luck, you're gonna find conditions very difficult to shoot.

You need to see which works for you. Mebbe for a start, you can try setting the camera in A mode and see if the ISO speed is enough to get you a good shutter speed, else keep increasing until you have a good shutter speed and then try to see if you can get some decent shots.

turn your mode dial to a running person. :thumbsup:

... like what other have said, it depends on the lighting situation and ur intention...

IMO 9am - 12pm should be pretty well-lit, unless the sky is overcast.
YCK Stadium isn't surrounded by buildings so being shadowed would not be a problem.
70-200 VR, I believe even at F4 you can get decent freezed running shots, otherwise just push up the ISO.
What you might want to bother yourself with might be how you wanna get the correct focus.

can anyone help me what exposure and aperture for running those track and field... i dont mind can use freeze running or panning ..

in the morning btw 9 to 12pm
need urgent...

thanks.

FYI: iam using nikon with 70-200mm VR
seems interesting...can i join in? :)

best tip is to do the above with having a runner sprint across and you test using aperture or shutter priority and maybe another photographer using full auto and then compare shots and then adjust settings accordingly.

when the moment comes, hope that the everything is swee and let the drive motor do its job. If by the off chance you missed, with a second and even a third photographer should be able to have few reasonably well shots.

Last edited:
yeah i know.. i been there b4.. actually i using D3 right now. well. i try to use A mode if i can.. is there any other way this? if not.. thanks for helps. ;D

you can either use Apeture mode, or you can use S mode (shutter speed priority), and it will automatically set the apeture to suit the shutter speed you input.

seems interesting...can i join in? :)

best tip is to do the above with having a runner sprint across and you test using aperture or shutter priority and maybe another photographer using full auto and then compare shots and then adjust settings accordingly.

when the moment comes, hope that the everything is swee and let the drive motor do its job. If by the off chance you missed, with a second and even a third photographer should be able to have few reasonably well shots.

actually.. this is my school sport day... thanks for tips... i will try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.