Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maameemoomoo

Oct 31, 2007
Hello,

Newbie here and also very new to photography.

Need some advice on what camera i should get. Currently i'm eyeing for Canon 400D. Went to shops and did some test shots. I love it!!

But i'm still undecided because i still haven't tried out any Nikons. A friend recommended Nikon 40x.

Basically, i do food photo shoots. I use Macro most of the time. I do travel too, so there will be scenery shots, and i love night shots as well. For now, i'm using a very old Olympus model which isn't a SLR. To achieve a nice photo for my food shots, i needed to go to my balcony to rely on the natural light for shooting. If i were to do it indoor, it's not so nice. So hopefully with my new D-SLR i can do my shooting indoor and not rely on the natural light so much.

Budget : within 2k, and hopefully under 1.5k. My old olympus actually costs me $1.7k 5 years ago.

Some of shop assistants told me to just get a Canon G9 or a Panasonic FZ18 because i'm really a newbie.

The main reason why i wanted a D-SLR is because i love the quality they produce, and i really don't wish to upgrade my camera in 1-2 years time (if i really did get a Canon G9 or FZ18) when i wish to proceed to the higher level of photography.

I enjoy doing taking photos tremendously and wish to invest in a good camera which will last me another couple of years..

Thanks!

p.s : one silly question, can DSLR be brought into the water for underwater shots?

Hello,

Budget : within 2k, and hopefully under 1.5k. My old olympus actually costs me $1.7k 5 years ago.

p.s : one silly question, can DSLR be brought into the water for underwater shots?

Hi,
welcome to CS. I too am a newbie started off with my first SLR abt 6 months back and still learning.. Tot I'm not into marco and underwater, I did read that there are underwater housings for DSLR, Maybe u can do a lil search ard here. All I know is underwater housing generally are very expensive , most of the time, more expensive then the cheaper DSLR itself :sweatsm:.
Hope u enjoy your stay.

Hello,

Need some advice on what camera i should get. Currently i'm eyeing for Canon 400D. Went to shops and did some test shots. I love it!!

But i'm still undecided because i still haven't tried out any Nikons. A friend recommended Nikon 40x.

Basically, i do food photo shoots. I use Macro most of the time. I do travel too, so there will be scenery shots, and i love night shots as well. For now, i'm using a very old Olympus model which isn't a SLR. To achieve a nice photo for my food shots, i needed to go to my balcony to rely on the natural light for shooting. If i were to do it indoor, it's not so nice. So hopefully with my new D-SLR i can do my shooting indoor and not rely on the natural light so much.

Some of shop assistants told me to just get a Canon G9 or a Panasonic FZ18 because i'm really a newbie.

The main reason why i wanted a D-SLR is because i love the quality they produce, and i really don't wish to upgrade my camera in 1-2 years time (if i really did get a Canon G9 or FZ18) when i wish to proceed to the higher level of photography.

I enjoy doing taking photos tremendously and wish to invest in a good camera which will last me another couple of years..

Thanks!

Since you have handled the camera already, I'd suggest you do the same with the rest of the models of camera suggested to you. You may like thm or hate them. So we can't tell you which is BEST.

Do remember though that with macro, you would do better off with a dedicated macro lens. And on the D40(X) side, as it does not have a focusing motor on the camera body, you would have to either manually focus or use a more expensive macro lens (105mm VR)

As for underwater casing, they are manufactured only for certain models of DSLR cameras and are very expensive. And you'd need strobe lighting or another cover for the flashes to be used underwater. Read more about this. ;)

Hello,

Thanks!

For dslr to take good macro, you'll need a macro lense. Average price of a macro lense is from 750-900. 2nd hand about 500? As for ability to shoot indoor, dun expect miracles. You still need a decent light source for good exposure. Try touchlights. Please factor other costs into your budget like drybox, camera bag etc.

Since you have handled the camera already, I'd suggest you do the same with the rest of the models of camera suggested to you. You may like thm or hate them. So we can't tell you which is BEST.

Do remember though that with macro, you would do better off with a dedicated macro lens. And on the D40(X) side, as it does not have a focusing motor on the camera body, you would have to either manually focus or use a more expensive macro lens (105mm VR)

As for underwater casing, they are manufactured only for certain models of DSLR cameras and are very expensive. And you'd need strobe lighting or another cover for the flashes to be used underwater. Read more about this. ;)

I have gone a few places to check the mentioned cameras. Funny but all the sales person picked Canon 400D when i asked them to choose between the cameras.

For macro shots, i think i am pretty contented with the shots i did tested. No need for an additional lense. Got budget here :p

Focusing motor? What's that? Something that helps us to focus better once we zoom into the object?

TD, thank you for the warm welcome and reply :)

ptwong : touch lights? Hmmm... sorry, i'm very new to all these.:embrass: What's that?

sorry i meant torchlights. Typo

Kekekekke.. but really????

Shine torchlight? That helps for indoor shoots?

sure why not? you can even use table lamp. The main problem would be the colour cast so you have to check the WB.

I have gone a few places to check the mentioned cameras. Funny but all the sales person picked Canon 400D when i asked them to choose between the cameras.

For macro shots, i think i am pretty contented with the shots i did tested. No need for an additional lense. Got budget here :p

Focusing motor? What's that? Something that helps us to focus better once we zoom into the object?

It's a matter of sales tactics, they want to push the Canon more and sometimes it's because the Nikon D40's are selling pretty fast already, they dun need to push much.

Focusing motors either exist in the camera (in most of the cameras) or in the lenses (AF-S for the Nikon ones) For the D40, due to the fact that they wanted to create a light and cheap camera, they decided to leave out the focusing motor in the camera and utilise the AF-S lenses to provide the motor for focusing, this has reduced the weight and cost. But with this move, they also made it such that those lenses without focusing motors unable to AF with these cameras. ;)

Thanks guys.. appreciate your replies :D

Status
Not open for further replies.