help!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekiang

Jan 15, 2007
hi,

just purchase a new lens....55mm-200mm f4.5-5.6?

however i try to take a few pictures but come out blur....i used f8.0 (autofocus) to take pictures indoor...pictures are blur leh....how?? or is it my subject to near? but try using manual focus also come out blur leh...or my setting wrong? please advise....

then zoom lens is it tend to blur? must use tripod?

then using remote control...is it must be in manual mode do our manual focus then can use it? cos i put to autofocus can release the shutter leh??

help!!!!!

chee kiang

f8, indoor without tripod? :O Handshake la. Try using a tripod. If you must handhold, try a larger aperture (in your case should be f4.5) and pump up the ISO.

yaya my hands tend to shake alot....

hmm so using zoom lens must use tripod???

so what is your advise if don't use tripod but take pictures indoor??? using what kind of setting???

please advise...

thanks

chee kiang

oh i see....

okie will try using higher iso....

hmm then one more question..

then outdoor???

if handhold...should i follow the same set of setting? using bigger aperture and higher iso??

cheekiang

yaya my hands tend to shake alot....

hmm so using zoom lens must use tripod???

You can handhold, provided there is enough light. Low light (indoor) will need longer shutter speeds and handholding is a challenge (especially at f8)

so what is your advise if don't use tripod but take pictures indoor??? using what kind of setting???

please advise...

thanks

chee kiang

Either use flash or try larger apertures and higher ISO

Yes, using zoom lens, I think beyond 3x hand shake is almost inevitably present unless you are very good at it. Me I'd prefer to stick to a tripod, or at least solid base so there won't be handshake.

Indoor pictures without tripod;

1) Use flash if it's suitable
2) Use larger aperture
3) Use higher ISO, but not to the extent of blurring out all the details because of noise

for a start, switch to speed priority instead. for the beginning, try use shutter speed at 1/focal length, meaning if you zoom to 200mm, try use 1/200sec shutter speed. once you're ok with such settings, you can try shooting at slower shutter speed, it's about training yourself and getting used to shooting with long zoom.

AF can lock or not. :think:
i wonder if you are getting sufficient focusing distance from your subject and your lens.

then outdoor???

if handhold...should i follow the same set of setting? using bigger aperture and higher iso??

cheekiang

Reading up on photography basics will help; ie. stuff like what aperture does, what shutter speed does, what higher ISO does.

There is no real rule to follow, so long as your exposure is correct and your detail that you want to capture is there.

If outdoor if you want to shoot something in the shade using the general rules won't help. Generally when there is a lot of sunlight, depending on the amount of detail and DOF you want to capture, you can play around with aperture and shutter speed.

In brief;

Aperture = how big the hole in your camera is (ok this sounds weird). Bigger hole = less depth of field, ie. other than the area of focus, the rest of the details will gradually be lost based on distance from area of focus. Hope I got everything here correct technically. Smaller hole = more depth of field. However, aperture number is in f-stops. Bigger f-stop = smaller hole. Smaller f-stop = bigger hole. The hole will let in more light at one time if it is bigger.

Shutter speed = how long the hole in your camera opens. Longer = more light. Shorter = less light.

How much light is captured based on your aperture and shutter speed settings would determine how good the exposure is. In general, almost every situation has varying good aperture and shutter speed set settings. But you can play with it. Aperture up, can lower shutter. Vice versa also works. In some cases people like to overexpose and underexpose. Generally it is good to have good exposure because all the details you want will be there. And underexposure is usually better than overexposure, since detail is definitely lost in overexposures.

Ok that's all I can think of. Go read!

in short, please read your manual and try out yourself, you might be better off trying out with your kit lens for now..

hor okie ...

think i need to read the basic....thanks for all your guidance...

ya think will go back to kit lens and try to play with it...learn more before i get my hands on the other lens...haiz...

chee kiang

for a start, switch to speed priority instead. for the beginning, try use shutter speed at 1/focal length, meaning if you zoom to 200mm, try use 1/200sec shutter speed. once you're ok with such settings, you can try shooting at slower shutter speed, it's about training yourself and getting used to shooting with long zoom.

hi

got try to use Tv leh...but hor come out a black picture...why? i think i use 1/2000 or what...hoho maybe use the wrong one...hmm so teh faster the shutter speed the darker it will be...since it capture not a lot of light???

chee kiang

hi

got try to use Tv leh...but hor come out a black picture...why? i think i use 1/2000 or what...hoho maybe use the wrong one...hmm so teh faster the shutter speed the darker it will be...since it capture not a lot of light???

chee kiang
Yeps. Basically what happens in TV (or shutter speed priority).. Is that your camera selects the best aperture setting for your shutter speed. In this case, even the biggest hole (or aperture) won't save your exposure so it comes out black; insufficient light in short.

Yes, if aperture is constant, a faster shutter speed will capture last light, and render a darker picture.. In some extreme cases.. Black picture.

hmm i see...

so can i assume that at low light condition it is best to use high iso and Av(small f-stop=bigger hole)?

then use Tv when want to capture fast movement picture and with alot of light?

chee kiang

Status
Not open for further replies.