Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuanseng1983

Aug 7, 2005
I got myself into a situation here... I was trying to clean off some dust in my cam, and I accidently scratched one of the lenses inside. I dunno if you call it the lens but it's the part above the mirror, where I can see the focus points etc. They are faint scratch marks done by my fingernails (and I dunno why i was cleaning so hard), but then when I look through the viewfinder, I see the marks very clearly.

Just to ask, is my camera doomed? I took some pictures of white things and I don't see the marks, but it disturbs me that it is scratched. Is the camera spoilt already in this sense? Can Nikon do anything about it? And will it cost alot to change the part?

i think it will only affect your viewfinder

your image will not be affected.

and yes NSC can change it

for cost you will need to call them.
from your description i think you are talking about the focusing screen

it wont affect your images. go check out how a SLR works. when u take a photo, the mirror flips up, so light will hit the film/sensor directly. the mirror reflects the light up the screen you're talking about, through a prism, and whala, u see what goes thru the lens via the viewfinder. just some basic principles of the SLR.

next time clean carefully. i won't want to put my finger inside, if u want to know...

Phew.. I'm sorta relieved by your replies! How should one clean the viewfinder thingy then? Or rather, how should one clean the insides if it's dirty?

:think: humm... if focusing screen is scratched, will it affect the camera's focusing accuracy & speed?

The scratched part should be the focusing screen from your description.

No. It will not affect your pictures but will definitely irritate you when you're focusing through the viewfinder. Unfortunately, it's one of the favourite resting place for dust (other than the sensor). Usually a blow with the blower should do the trick. But for more stubborn debris, send it for professional cleaning, especially if the dust is trap between the focusing screen and camera. You wouldn't want to risk scratching and damaging your focusing sensor points ($$$!!!).:nono:

If it's not affecting you in any way, just leave it alone and live with it. As the saying goes, "if it ain't broken, don't fix it..." :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Good luck & enjoy your camera!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.