Help!!!!!


Status
Not open for further replies.

satay16

Senior Member
Jan 14, 2006
3,067
0
0
#1
SIGH......after 3 months of research, i am still in a dilimma in whether to buy the KM 7D or Canon 30D. i have tried out my friend's 20D, and when to shops to try out 7D. i have read hundreds of reviews, browsed thousands of forums, but i am still stuck.;( to give everyone a clearer picture, i shall state all the thoughts i have on both systems

Canon
:Stable company
:Lenses are easier to choose----i have been trying to compare KM lenses and Canon lenses, but apperantly, ALL updated sites i have went through are only dedicated to canon, not KM.
:Lenses are easier to buy-----KM is low on stocks

KM
:AS system------i tried planning out a canon system with IS in all of them. but all IS lenses either have an unattractive zoom(24-XX), low quality(17-85), or too expensive.using dimage A1 for several years, i find AS something neccesary not only in telezooms, but wide too.
:intergrated wireless flash(heard abt the wireless transmitter in canon. but if i can it intergrated, why not)
:egronomics wins over canon (a more personal issue. i like dials:) )



: photo quality of both systems(body) are too similar.(no arguement about that, about 200 posts, reviews, tests, comparisions, photographers all said this)
:i no need the 5fps in canon.
:8 mp or 6.1mp doesn't matter to me
:if a KM lenses review and test site exsist, it will make my life comparing both system easier. for example, when planning to place KM17-35 into my possible list, i am unable to do it as confidently as the EF17-40L due to lack of websites that does tests on KM lenses.
:i value AS/IS seriously. (the main reason why i cannot fix firmly on canon)
:im not bothered by Sony buying over, since the service center will still exist.



i would greatly value any suggestions. if you really like canon so much and find that KM sucks, THROW IN ALL negatives you can find in KM. if you favour KM, and hate canon sooo much, DIG OUT EVERY plus points the KM system has. flame your system's opponent like a debate match, as i would really like to know what i am into when i finally bought my system. thanks to all in advance.:D
btw, i made similar threads in both KM and canon forums, but i think both died off.
 

solarii

New Member
Oct 20, 2005
1,354
0
0
Bt. Timah
#5
I'll help u make up yr mind real quick...

KM's dSLR division got hived off to sony.
 

pai

New Member
Nov 24, 2004
1,699
0
0
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
#6
solarii said:
I'll help u make up yr mind real quick...

KM's dSLR division got hived off to sony.
:kok:

satay16 said:
im not bothered by Sony buying over, since the service center will still exist.
argh, satay, seen u post on km forum so much, now then i realise you haven't got your camera yet... you can go to dyxum.com, they have a lens database, with user reviews and links to tests and other reviews.

the km17-35 is a rebadged tamron 17-35, plenty of threads talking about that lens' performance and comparing it to the 17-40.

if you liked your A1 controls and handling, then you'll enjoy the 7d.

actually i think both cameras are very good cameras. just make a decision and stick to it. or else wait a few months lor... for the new super sony dslr... see if it's really super. or just super expensive :devil:
 

eugenep

Senior Member
Nov 20, 2004
2,242
0
0
Changi
#7
i will go for 30D. (why never consider D200?)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#8
satay16 said:
SIGH......after 3 months of research, i am still in a dilimma in whether to buy the KM 7D or Canon 30D. i have tried out my friend's 20D, and when to shops to try out 7D. i have read hundreds of reviews, browsed thousands of forums, but i am still stuck.;( to give everyone a clearer picture, i shall state all the thoughts i have on both systems

Canon
:Stable company
:Lenses are easier to choose----i have been trying to compare KM lenses and Canon lenses, but apperantly, ALL updated sites i have went through are only dedicated to canon, not KM.
:Lenses are easier to buy-----KM is low on stocks

KM
:AS system------i tried planning out a canon system with IS in all of them. but all IS lenses either have an unattractive zoom(24-XX), low quality(17-85), or too expensive.using dimage A1 for several years, i find AS something neccesary not only in telezooms, but wide too.
:intergrated wireless flash(heard abt the wireless transmitter in canon. but if i can it intergrated, why not)
:egronomics wins over canon (a more personal issue. i like dials:) )



: photo quality of both systems(body) are too similar.(no arguement about that, about 200 posts, reviews, tests, comparisions, photographers all said this)
:i no need the 5fps in canon.
:8 mp or 6.1mp doesn't matter to me
:if a KM lenses review and test site exsist, it will make my life comparing both system easier. for example, when planning to place KM17-35 into my possible list, i am unable to do it as confidently as the EF17-40L due to lack of websites that does tests on KM lenses.
:i value AS/IS seriously. (the main reason why i cannot fix firmly on canon)
:im not bothered by Sony buying over, since the service center will still exist.



i would greatly value any suggestions. if you really like canon so much and find that KM sucks, THROW IN ALL negatives you can find in KM. if you favour KM, and hate canon sooo much, DIG OUT EVERY plus points the KM system has. flame your system's opponent like a debate match, as i would really like to know what i am into when i finally bought my system. thanks to all in advance.:D
btw, i made similar threads in both KM and canon forums, but i think both died off.
I see you left Nikon out.. Any reasons for it? Somebody said something?
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#9
Guys... stick to his choices, you're confusing him further only.

If I have to choose between the two. Canon definitely.
 

#10
satay16 said:
SIGH......after 3 months of research, i am still in a dilimma in whether to buy the KM 7D or Canon 30D. i have tried out my friend's 20D, and when to shops to try out 7D. i have read hundreds of reviews, browsed thousands of forums, but i am still stuck.;( to give everyone a clearer picture, i shall state all the thoughts i have on both systems

Canon
:Stable company
:Lenses are easier to choose----i have been trying to compare KM lenses and Canon lenses, but apperantly, ALL updated sites i have went through are only dedicated to canon, not KM.
:Lenses are easier to buy-----KM is low on stocks

KM
:AS system------i tried planning out a canon system with IS in all of them. but all IS lenses either have an unattractive zoom(24-XX), low quality(17-85), or too expensive.using dimage A1 for several years, i find AS something neccesary not only in telezooms, but wide too.
:intergrated wireless flash(heard abt the wireless transmitter in canon. but if i can it intergrated, why not)
:egronomics wins over canon (a more personal issue. i like dials:) )



: photo quality of both systems(body) are too similar.(no arguement about that, about 200 posts, reviews, tests, comparisions, photographers all said this)
:i no need the 5fps in canon.
:8 mp or 6.1mp doesn't matter to me
:if a KM lenses review and test site exsist, it will make my life comparing both system easier. for example, when planning to place KM17-35 into my possible list, i am unable to do it as confidently as the EF17-40L due to lack of websites that does tests on KM lenses.
:i value AS/IS seriously. (the main reason why i cannot fix firmly on canon)
:im not bothered by Sony buying over, since the service center will still exist.



i would greatly value any suggestions. if you really like canon so much and find that KM sucks, THROW IN ALL negatives you can find in KM. if you favour KM, and hate canon sooo much, DIG OUT EVERY plus points the KM system has. flame your system's opponent like a debate match, as i would really like to know what i am into when i finally bought my system. thanks to all in advance.:D
btw, i made similar threads in both KM and canon forums, but i think both died off.
Go for what your heart tell you and you never regret.

you put canon before KM you are more lean toward canon. with this two I will chose canon.
The final result is the image and you not the cam. :lovegrin:
 

BreakThru

New Member
Oct 27, 2004
260
0
0
#11
Apparently, you think too much. These systems are all good for photography and I would say any of these will be alright. Anyway these things don't last forever, infact most ppl use them for 2-3 years then sell & upgrade already.

Would suggest you think about the brand's system as a whole and decide on which brand to go for. As in the lenses and flashes you can have after investing into the system(brand).

It is not that difficult after all. Just choose one system and not regret about it. Use it to its fullest potential and enjoy photography. Thats it. :)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#12
espn said:
Guys... stick to his choices, you're confusing him further only.

If I have to choose between the two. Canon definitely.
Yeah.. I was just asking but if these were the only choices for some reason or another, I would pick Canon too.. :) However, the strengths which he finds in KM (Ergonomics, wireless flash, except the AS sensor, but Nikon has got a good range of VR lenses too), and the strengths he finds in Canon (stable company, lenses are easier to choose/buy...) are also found in Nikon... which is why I had to ask.
 

satay16

Senior Member
Jan 14, 2006
3,067
0
0
#13
haha..:bsmilie: i know i post alot on the KM forum since some months ago, but haiz.....still cannot make up my mind. i tend to lean towards KM abit because it has all the nice features that canon doesn't really provides. to put it in a picture, it is like going for something that is intresting and new(KM), or something more stable and boring(canon). canon 20D felt kind of boring(really dun know the reason), whereas KM7D was fun to handle with. but is the trade off of stabilty worth for this?

btw, i did not choose nikon because i knew if i am choosing between nikon or canon, i will be going for the canon. took me about 2 weeks to strike nikon of my list. dun really want to go into details, but nikon's egro quite bad(personal opinon). well, no offence to nikon users. sometimes, a camera just somehow doesn't fits nicely into someone, like when handling the D70s, it just doesn't feel as right as the canon and KM. differs from person to person, but i think i will not get nikon back into my list. already confused by the KM and Canon comparision.:bsmilie:
 

DT_

New Member
Nov 4, 2005
883
0
0
#14
Try talking at the KM and C forum here... sometimes it's the group that helps you decide...
 

DT_

New Member
Nov 4, 2005
883
0
0
#15
or...

jus buy and shoot.. care less bout brands... if not toss coin...
 

Pablo

Senior Member
Sep 1, 2004
1,854
0
0
Blue/Green Planet
#16
Hi,

An open question to those that may know, regarding KM and the image satbilizer (sensor).

I have not tried or have seen samples to confirm either way, but, if you move the sensor around, are you still geting the best image provided by the lens ?

I am thinking in regards the difference between a digital lens and an analog lens and how the image is recieved at the sensor.

Hope this question makes sense.

My answer to KM or Canon ..... Canon without a doubt; KN lens mechanics is old hat.

Cheers :)
 

honda

New Member
Nov 30, 2004
558
0
0
#17
Is IS so important? How do people shoot in the past before IS? I find that i can hand hold a kit lens or 18-50/2.8 for 1/4s and a 100/2 for 1/10s and get sharp pics at 100% view.
Anyway its good to try different things. Buy a camera n if you dont like it after a while sell it off. You only lose some money and dont have to agonise for so long.
http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#18
satay16 said:
haha..:bsmilie: i know i post alot on the KM forum since some months ago, but haiz.....still cannot make up my mind. i tend to lean towards KM abit because it has all the nice features that canon doesn't really provides. to put it in a picture, it is like going for something that is intresting and new(KM), or something more stable and boring(canon). canon 20D felt kind of boring(really dun know the reason), whereas KM7D was fun to handle with. but is the trade off of stabilty worth for this?

btw, i did not choose nikon because i knew if i am choosing between nikon or canon, i will be going for the canon. took me about 2 weeks to strike nikon of my list. dun really want to go into details, but nikon's egro quite bad(personal opinon). well, no offence to nikon users. sometimes, a camera just somehow doesn't fits nicely into someone, like when handling the D70s, it just doesn't feel as right as the canon and KM. differs from person to person, but i think i will not get nikon back into my list. already confused by the KM and Canon comparision.:bsmilie:
Ahh okie. :) Since Nikon is off your list and Nikon's ergo isn't for you (yes, it happens, one man's medicine may be another's poison), then I think you should go for Canon considering KM's situation now. Sony is still in the transition phase of taking over KM's photographic assets and will probably take some time before they really get into it. But once that happens, I think Sony will become a strong force like Canon also, if they seriously put digital photography in their roadmap.
 

Jan 6, 2006
109
0
0
#19
I'll say Canon too.

Ease of finding lenses will help in the long run.
 

tokrot

New Member
Jun 2, 2003
1,345
0
0
#20
satay16 said:
haha..:bsmilie: i know i post alot on the KM forum since some months ago, but haiz.....still cannot make up my mind. i tend to lean towards KM abit because it has all the nice features that canon doesn't really provides. to put it in a picture, it is like going for something that is intresting and new(KM), or something more stable and boring(canon). canon 20D felt kind of boring(really dun know the reason), whereas KM7D was fun to handle with. but is the trade off of stabilty worth for this?

btw, i did not choose nikon because i knew if i am choosing between nikon or canon, i will be going for the canon. took me about 2 weeks to strike nikon of my list. dun really want to go into details, but nikon's egro quite bad(personal opinon). well, no offence to nikon users. sometimes, a camera just somehow doesn't fits nicely into someone, like when handling the D70s, it just doesn't feel as right as the canon and KM. differs from person to person, but i think i will not get nikon back into my list. already confused by the KM and Canon comparision.:bsmilie:
Well, I would suggest D7D,, why? Because I am using one. What I have observed between 20D and D7D are just the following

1) D7D Noise level wins marginly from ISo 100 to 400 but ISo 800 onwards lost to 20D.
2) D7D has probably has the best grip in all DSLR range. You gonna try and find out.
3) LCD for D7D is bigger, color reproduction is one of the best (in fact better than Canon)
4) Cheaper 3rd party lens. eg 17-35mm for canon selling $700-900 but KM is only selling for 500- <720.
5) D7D has better features (Bigger view finder, Larger LCD, Antishake) whereas Canon excels in shooting speed, focusing and lower noise.

The only thing about Canon you dont have to worry about is lens and is rather expensive. I had a friend who uses 20D but owned NONE of canon lens. So what for a good range of lens where you cannot even afford it!

Lastly, if you still not convinced, check my D7D galleries. They are mininal processed and mostly done with Sharpening only. Even a cheapo lens like Sigma 70-300 can produced quality pictures if used correctly. :thumbsup: I would have to thank Minolta for a great Camera! ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom