HELP.

jkoh10

Oct 26, 2011
Hi guys,
Im keen to pick up photography and have been thinking of getting a second hand budget DSLR. any recommendations?
what about sony A230, A290, A500 ?

If Sony, u can try A700. The second hand price is less than $300. I'm used A100 to A55 to A77 to A99 and following A7 ad A7R. Now going back to A99 as I need the AF speed.
IMO, Sony control is better than its competitors. I like to try out gears. In the end, I go back to Sony

these also maybe you can consider I still see these in BnS.
A580
A550
A57
A55
A33

Slightly higher price but bang for bucks
A77

You also may need to invest on a good lens like

SAL16-50/2.8
Tamron 17-50/2.8 (cheap and good)
Sigma 17-50/2.8 (slightly exp than Tamron)

or if you have some budget
SAL16-80/3.5-4.5 (Carl Zeiss)
SAL 18-200 (good lens cover a lot of range)
SAL 16-105 (very good lens also)

On Budget side to be paired with 16-50 lens are some Minolta lenses
28-135 f4-4.5 very good lens but heavy lens and it's meant for FF so it wont be that wide
70-210 f4 very good

Last edited:
Reactions: kei1309
thank you both.

someone offered me a A500 with the kit lens as well as another lens 75-300mm.
is 350$ a good deal?

Personally, for me when i tell people starting out.it's not always the most ideal to buy a cheap but old model just to start. Why? well, technology helps people. It's like starting on your first smartphone..you won't buy a 5yr old model to start..
Personally i would recommend (if you must go Sony) a 2nd hand A77 and up....or if you don't need DSLR (honestly, starting on a mirrorless is easier), there are many cheap NEX cameras you can get that is good.
The way i see it is instead of buying an old model, use few months, then buy a better model but can't sell the old one...OR
Buy a better model, use longer, eventually buy a better one and the old one is still good enough as a backup. The latter makes more sense to me...but to each his own..

Think A6000 or A5100 is a goodstart

Although I'm a Sony user. I would recommend Canon or Nikon if u r starting out in photography. Reason being they have a large base of photographers and much more support overall like number of lenses, compatibility with third party lens/accessories and larger buy/sell base to get decent cameras a bargain prices.

Fundamentally its depends on what you intend to shoot. For events/low light events, I will prefer canon. As a wedding photographer, I have to workaround many Sony shortcomings for a decent shoot

For anything else all 3 system has their own strength and weaknesses. Just note that once u hv invested in a system, switching out is a costly affair.

as per the suggestion above, go for a77 and above :)

Try the size and weigh to make sure which size fits your hand comfortably .

As I have a small hand I feel that A65 has a good size and weigh , A77 and A99 too heavy , Nex/ a6000 too small for large hands.

All along I wanted to get the A77 for its bang for buck. But its too heavy with a good lens.

Enjoy shooting;)

thank you all. will consider.

Yeah I agree with most of the bros feedback if you have some $$ to spare start with a good model cam if the budget is really tight get the 1 or 2 step down model from the current model(s). And important is the lens don't anymore start with kit lens get those better than kit lens options, reason is after a while using kits lenses you will fast out grow it and eventually you will need to invest again to a better kit lens options why not skip the kit lens and jump direct to a better option this way you will be using it much longer and you'll probably wont upgrade your lens anytime soon.

Sometimes we tend to think we start small those very low end models with basic lens setup after a while you will want to upgrade, if you keep doing this you'll end up spending more than what you plan in spending or investing, so why not jump to a better setup then use it for long time :)

Quote from a good friend of mine:

Eventually you will get to the end product. Why not cut the chase and get to the end? Keeps you from having to sell those in the middle and increase your ROI.

This is quite true for lenses and tripods :p Not asking you to get the best but get something that will last you awhile (assuming your don't give up on the hobby). Just my 2 cents :)

hi guys, im looking for a entry level canon dslr. any recommendation?

decided to go for canon as it has a wider range n lighter....

Please do not start the same threads with the same topic all over the place. What next? if you decide to check out Nikon you will post again in Nikon? Olympus after that? Fuji?

Just one thread in the right place will do. Threads merged and moved to Newbies Corner

Quote from a good friend of mine:
This is quite true for lenses and tripods :p Not asking you to get the best but get something that will last you awhile (assuming your don't give up on the hobby). Just my 2 cents :)
What if there are no returns (= income from taking picture)? Then the entire equation flips and all what remains are expenses. Expenses for consumer electronics which lose value by the hour. Quite a pointless discussion.
To me it is quite simple: buy what you can safely afford. There is no need to get the latest model just because some technical specs look better on paper. In real life and daylight they hardly matter. A good picture is about 20% equipment contribution, why wasting so much time on that? Focus on the 80% non-equipment factors and the results will come.

Reactions: Edwin Francis
canon 500D

it is more than adequate and the more "skillful" modes are not limited or disappoint.

Agree. Most second hand shops carry nikon or canon. Sony accessories eg lens harder to find at these shops.

Although I'm a Sony user. I would recommend Canon or Nikon if u r starting out in photography. Reason being they have a large base of photographers and much more support overall like number of lenses, compatibility with third party lens/accessories and larger buy/sell base to get decent cameras a bargain prices.

Agree. Most second hand shops carry nikon or canon. Sony accessories eg lens harder to find at these shops.
The interpretation could also be: a lot of Canon and Nikon users change to Sony, that's why the shops are full of C&N equipment :)
Seriously, the quantity of such equipment in 2nd hand shops hardly matters for the decision which brand to chose. Buy & Sell here has plenty of it.