Help

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi guys,I own a Canon 60D & hav been enjoying it for the past 9 mths...& I have seen people who use 7D with L lenses...Actually wat kind of advice or comment & wat is ur take on "L" lenses on a cropped body...? Thank for the guidance...:angel:

1) Please use a thread title that sums up your topic.
2) If you are happy with your lens why do you think about L? Have you seen the price tags?
Get what you need (and where you know why you need it). A lens with red ring will not miraculously turn mediocre snaps into great pictures. But with sufficient skills you can shine next to the average snapper with L lens.

Hi guys,I own a Canon 60D & hav been enjoying it for the past 9 mths...& I have seen people who use 7D with L lenses...Actually wat kind of advice or comment & wat is ur take on "L" lenses on a cropped body...? Thank for the guidance...:angel:

L or non-L depends on your needs, and your budget. Just because it's an "L" lens does not mean it's good, sharp, etc. Does not matter if you are using crop body or not.

Buy what you need.

What focal range are you looking at? Generally L lenses have better build quality n optics than efs lenses. But for crop body, the efs 10-22 UWA is very good n the L version (16-35 or 17-40) is not as wide. I also found that the efs 17-55 is more suitable for crop than the 24-70 (heavier, costlier, no IS n not really wide enough sometimes).

Alrite...appreciate ur help.

ok...thanx for enlightening...

L Lenses are basically the premium lenses for Canon, much like the Gold-ringed lenses for Nikon, and G Lenses for Sony.

they also command a premium price, and while they raise the image quality on resulting images when the lenses are used on the camera body, you also need to question your purpose in purchasing these lenses.

do you even have a need for such lenses? perhaps they make you feel more professional or feel that your images will turn out better?

buy what you need, not what others make you perceive as good.

it does raise the bar on IQ. in the end, what you have is an image with clarity, better colors, sharpness etc out of camera. but what it doesn't do is help with your skills as a photographer in terms of the aesthetics of the image. without the proper knowledge of how a camera works with regards to exposure, composition, DOF etc,
a premium lens will just be another waste of money

so do your homework before you make that purchase

hi,actually wat does UWA stands for....?& which L lens would u recommend...the 17-40mm or the 16-35(i noe tis one is more expensive)...I am looking into portraits & street photography...Thanks for enlightening...!

hi,actually wat does UWA stands for....?& which L lens would u recommend...the 17-40mm or the 16-35(i noe tis one is more expensive)...I am looking into portraits & street photography...Thanks for enlightening...!

1. Google will tell you - Ultra Wide Angle.
2. NONE of them. At all. They will not help you with portraiture AT ALL (in fact may make your life really difficult due to distortion), nor will they improve your street photogrpahy. Use your kit lens.

Honestly, DO NOT BUY any lens now. You seem to have no clue what you need, what you want, or what the purpose of various lenses area. Improve your skills first, improve your knowledge first.

Just ask yourself... "How will a 17-40 or a 16-35 improve my street photography? What is lacking from my current kit lens?". If you cannot answer that, there is no point buying.

Last edited:

Agreed with what Rashkae said...you seem to be clueless about what you want. The problem maybe because the photos you have taken now, don't have the "impact" that you wanted and you think with better gear, you can get good results. But Good lens + bad skills = sharp crap.

btw, portraits & street, 18-55 can do that, no problems..

Camera vendors put in kit lenses for a reason: these lenses cover the focal length ranges which are most commonly used: some wide angle to some telephoto range. Use this lens and learn from there. Once you are familiar with the basics and you have found what areas of photography you are interested in then it becomes clearer to you what equipment you need. And: avoid all shops for now .. unless you have money to spend without thinking.

SkyStrike said:
Agreed with what Rashkae said...you seem to be clueless about what you want. The problem maybe because the photos you have taken now, don't have the "impact" that you wanted and you think with better gear, you can get good results. But Good lens + bad skills = sharp crap.

btw, portraits & street, 18-55 can do that, no problems..

I agree that 18-55 is good for portraits and street.. Short, sharp, light and ease of carry.. What more can I ask for..

I agree that 18-55 is good for portraits and street.. Short, sharp, light and ease of carry.. What more can I ask for..
Not to forget the IS function which helps excited newbies to counter shaky hands :)

yo thanx bro for the enlightenment...!

ya,ur right man...thanx a million for the revelation...!

wow,i fully agree with wat u have mentioned...Thanks for the advice...at least,I have a better understanding of wats going on now...Cheers!

wow,i fully agree with wat u have mentioned...Thanks for the advice...at least,I have a better understanding of wats going on now...Cheers!

btw, you will also want to read up more about Post Processing if your photos are lacking the "punch" in colors. Composition wise, you will have to read more, shoot more, experiment what works best for you.

tecnica said:
putting L-lens on my 7D, makes me feel more pro.

length of my e-penis also increases exponentially.