Help! XTra X-1 Portable Amp is dead!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fWord

Jun 23, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Currently grieving over the loss of my portable amp. Bought it just over a year ago from Jaben Networks, enjoyed it thoroughly and used (and recharged) it several times. Each time I have only charged the battery when it was fully drained.

However since moving over to Australia I've been driving everywhere and hence have neglected both my MP3 player and the X-1 amp. At a guess, I probably didn't use both of them for around 5 months. Fear struck me recently because I have heard of the 'death by neglect' concept and that electronics can cease to work if not used for a period of time.

I charged up the MP3 player and it worked fine. However the X-1 amp internal battery doesn't seem to be charging. I hook up the adapter to the amp and the charging light on the amp comes on, however it stays red forever and never goes to green (which indicates battery is fully charged).

Thinking that the LED was spoilt I even tried turning the amp on after overnight charging but it doesn't work.

So, maybe the chemicals in the battery have 'crystallised' following a period of no use, or cold weather, so I kept it slightly warm over an electric blanket while charging and even that didn't work.

Has anyone experienced this before and successfully revived a battery? Has anybody tried replacing the battery in the amp? Is it easy or financially viable to do so?

I get a terrible feeling in the gut knowing that I blew all that money on an amp only to have it stop working prematurely. Then again, maybe I should have known. I had to wait some weeks before it came in stock at Jaben. And when I went there one or two of the amps were already not working. Nevertheless at that time I simply assumed they were not charged up.

Maybe I was wrong.

The same thing happen to my X1 amp about 2 weeks ago also. It just failed to charge suddenly. But I don't have time to troubleshoot yet or send it down to Jaben.

The same thing happen to my X1 amp about 2 weeks ago also. It just failed to charge suddenly. But I don't have time to troubleshoot yet or send it down to Jaben.

So I am assuming that you were using your amp regularly before that time? It was for this reason I was a little cautious about buying any amp with a built-in (irreplaceable) battery. But I read so many good things about it and it seemed to go well with my headphones, so I bought it.

It'd be good to know what the guy at Jaben can do, if you take your amp there. Please let me know. Trouble is that I won't be back in SG at least till next March, so I'll be without my amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.