Help!!wondering which DSLR to get

G

Graton

Hello,

As everyone know that the Sitex is just tomorrow i was wondering which camera to get??

NIKON vs CANON
D3100 vs 1000D
D5000 vs 550D

These will be the camera i aiming for however still need u guys to help me decide on which camera shud i get.

Fuctions: Hd recording would be good,Good for Portrait or landscape

I was Hoping that i could get:
1:dry Box
2:cleaning Kit
3:pWP
4:Crumpler camera bags
5:SD cards
6:cleanin Kit
7: tripod

P.S Heard from one of my fren in CS that u can get 1 crumpler bag for free when u buy canon is that true??

Thanks Alot!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a sticky thread for you to read before you get your beloved DSLR . . . ;)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245883

Either of the cameras should be fine, it really depends on which one you prefered . . .

Pls note that you may wish to get the following too :
1 dry cabinet
2 tripod
3 camera bag
4 etc . . . .

Please read the "What DSLR to get?" sticky:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393

Please note:
1. A camera is a personal decision. Don't let other people tell you what to buy, you need to get what's right for you.
2. SITEX/Comex/etc are usually bad places to get cameras. You will (usually) pay RRP and get mostly useless freebies that you could get outside too. But sometimes, just sometimes, you can get a good deal.

Please read the "What DSLR to get?" sticky:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393

Please note:
1. A camera is a personal decision. Don't let other people tell you what to buy, you need to get what's right for you.
2. SITEX/Comex/etc are usually bad places to get cameras. You will (usually) pay RRP and get mostly useless freebies that you could get outside too. But sometimes, just sometimes, you can get a good deal.

tHANKS HOWEVER I DON understand the deal part lol maybe just step into canon:thumbsup:

However i will still want to see the pwp and can u explain wat u mean good deals?

Last edited by a moderator:
tHANKS HOWEVER I DON understand the deal part lol maybe just step into canon:thumbsup:

However i will still want to see the pwp and can u explain wat u mean good deals?

What do you mean, you don't understand the deal part? At these IT fairs, 90% of the time, you will pay full retail price and get the same freebies you could have gotten from one of the usual recommended shops. Less hassle, less crowds, etc.

If your heart is set on one brand, and you want to ignore all the other cameras that give you more features for less money, that's your choice.

Well depends on the show i will go down and see tomorrow and ask for opinions once i see the price list

Thanks

Whenever a fair is round the corner, there will a new "what dslr to get" thread. What Rashkae meant was, you are paying the full retail price for the camera and some useless freebies when you can prolly get the same deal with the same freebies at the camera stores outside. That will save you the time, hassle and not forgetting getting pushed when you're making your way around. Also, I believe Canon won't always have the same promotion offering the Crumpler camera bag.

it's becoming a little spooky how such threads are all similarly titled...

anyway you should also figure out what lens to go along with your camera body...

Hello,

As everyone know that the Sitex is just tomorrow i was wondering which camera to get??

NIKON vs CANON
D3100 vs 1000D
D5000 vs 550D

These will be the camera i aiming for however still need u guys to help me decide on which camera shud i get.

Fuctions: Hd recording would be good,Good for Portrait or landscape

all dslr are good for portrait and or landscape.
Use this for side by side comparison on the specs.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

thanks all i will check it

If you compare apple to apple, (similar range DSLR in canon and nikon) you will find that there is hardly a difference in RAW files.
However when generating JPGs both canon and Nikon has there own priorities. In entry level DSLR one thing which I noticed prominently is that Nikon's out of the camera jpgs have vivid and punchy color compare to Canon which keeps it on natural tones.
Secondly Nikon's noise reduction for jpg is a bit more agressive which is a slight trade-off on the details.
One thing which I hate about Nikon though is that their entry level DSLR's does not have focus motor built-in the camera till D5000, not sure about D3100 though.
As you are targeting the portrait photography; second thing you will be needing after kit lens is the 50mm, f/1.8(my recommendation for potraits) this is very low cost lens and can do wonders (SGD150 or less for the one without focus motor in both Nikon and Canon) BUT same lens if comes with focus motor(like you will be needing for Nikon's ENTRY ELVEL DSLR) same lense will cost you about SGD400 to 500+ as the focus motor will be in the lens.
Having said that above, I would say that I am not biased with any brand as many Csers are very touchy about brands :) I myself had NIkon D40. But also love the result of canon.
So IMHO add a criteria of having focus motor in the body of the camera, whichever brand you buy.
(This is just my opinion, other members may have different opinions:) )

Last edited:
wat is the differnce between raw and jpeg pictures??

Sry ah newbie here

wat is the differnce between raw and jpeg pictures??

Sry ah newbie here

Google, or search on here. It's been discussed to death over and over again.

As a newbie, you should have read the ClubSnap terms and conditions, as well as the newbies guides.

If you compare apple to apple, (similar range DSLR in canon and nikon) you will find that there is hardly a difference in RAW files.
However when generating JPGs both canon and Nikon has there own priorities. In entry level DSLR one thing which I noticed prominently is that Nikon's out of the camera jpgs have vivid and punchy color compare to Canon which keeps it on natural tones.
Secondly Nikon's noise reduction for jpg is a bit more agressive which is a slight trade-off on the details.
One thing which I hate about Nikon though is that their entry level DSLR's does not have focus motor built-in the camera till D5000, not sure about D3100 though.
As you are targeting the portrait photography; second thing you will be needing after kit lens is the 50mm, f/1.8(my recommendation for potraits) this is very low cost lens and can do wonders (SGD150 or less for the one without focus motor in both Nikon and Canon) BUT same lens if comes with focus motor(like you will be needing for Nikon's ENTRY ELVEL DSLR) same lense will cost you about SGD400 to 500+ as the focus motor will be in the lens.
Having said that above, I would say that I am not biased with any brand as many Csers are very touchy about brands :) I myself had NIkon D40. But also love the result of canon.
So IMHO add a criteria of having focus motor in the body of the camera, whichever brand you buy.
(This is just my opinion, other members may have different opinions:) )

Colors vivid or not, you can adjust in picture styles.

NR aggressive or not, you can also adjust in the camera settings.

Nikon 50/1.8 doesn't have af motor built in. It cost 190.
Canon 50/1.8 II comes with af motor built in. It cost around 120.

The Nikon 50mm with AF motor inside is AF-S 50mm/1.4G. It is a different class of lens all together.

ALL Canon lenses have af motor. None of Canon cameras have in body AF motor. That is the basis of the EOS mount, that the af motor is in the lens.

Last edited:
I was Hoping that i could get:
1:dry Box
2:cleaning Kit
3:pWP
4:Crumpler camera bags
5:SD cards
6:cleanin Kit
7: tripod

dun be greedy. except for crumpler bag which i dun know if got this promo. the rest is usually useless and not worth paying for these so call 'freebies'. Actually even the crumpler bag got the canon logo on it and in bright red color. Zzz

u will get better deal buying from reputable shops. lesser people and shorter queues also.

dun be greedy. except for crumpler bag which i dun know if got this promo. the rest is usually useless and not worth paying for these so call 'freebies'. Actually even the crumpler bag got the canon logo on it and in bright red color. Zzz

Plus, it just screams "steal me!!"

u will get better deal buying from reputable shops. lesser people and shorter queues also.

From some cases I've seen, these 'free' bags have no compartments or one compartment only. Very very basic.

TS, as Sinned has mentioned, don't let the freebies lead into buying the camera.

Do your research. Look at what features each brand can give you for your money and where are the places selling at good prices. CS price guide and other sections already provide a wealth of information.

Well since tomorrow is sitex going to get some fliers and compare before buying mayb buying at funan

Always feel free to play around there and test water at Sitex. If you do your homework and know your stuff, you will realise that you can get hilarious replies to your questions about the various cameras available at the show since most of the people selling cameras there know nuts about them. Not to say all though.

Alternatively, you can go play with the cameras at places like Courts, though it's not recommended that you buy from them.

If you don't mind being different, you can always check out the other brands. I was like you - only know about Canon and Nikon before but from reading up I realize other brands have a lot to offer too. Good luck with your purchase and always do your homework! Even some of the reputable shops at Funan may try to smoke you...