Help!!wondering which DSLR to get

if you got budget issues, then start with the kit lens, but anyone will tell you how important a good lens is. you should read more on the forums here - many many topics already covered the ground.

Yup decided to buy eos 550D so i will check the price tml

Colors vivid or not, you can adjust in picture styles.

NR aggressive or not, you can also adjust in the camera settings.

Nikon 50/1.8 doesn't have af motor built in. It cost 190.
Canon 50/1.8 II comes with af motor built in. It cost around 120.

The Nikon 50mm with AF motor inside is AF-S 50mm/1.4G. It is a different class of lens all together.

ALL Canon lenses have af motor. None of Canon cameras have in body AF motor. That is the basis of the EOS mount, that the af motor is in the lens.

Guess I was wrong about the AF motor built-in Canon body. Thanks for the correction.
On the other end the point I wanted to make is that for entry level Nikon cameras which are without focus motor in the body. If you wanna get SGD190 lens, it will be manual focus.
So either have better body(Which is preferable) or get expensive lens. In this specific case of 50mm f/1.8.

Well yesterday i went to sitex after that to funan however funan price is still cheaper but then the freebies is still lesser
Decided to go back to sitex on sunday and see wat they throw in again

Guess I was wrong about the AF motor built-in Canon body. Thanks for the correction.
On the other end the point I wanted to make is that for entry level Nikon cameras which are without focus motor in the body. If you wanna get SGD190 lens, it will be manual focus.
So either have better body(Which is preferable) or get expensive lens. In this specific case of 50mm f/1.8.

One thing to note... MF is not all that scary. In the old days, everyone was in MF. ;)

These pics are all shot MF. One was taken with 50/1.8 on D40x. The other two was shot with old MF Nikon lenses (50/1.2 and 85/2)... in that order left to right.
3751319433_3621e99abc_m.jpg
4687222648_e94b995db4_m.jpg
4686587203_9e71f28854_m.jpg

sorry OOT,
These pics are all shot MF.
4687222648_e94b995db4_m.jpg

In this picture, i see that the background is very blur (look like MBS), is this intentional ? what settings need to be set to achieve such effect, and opposite effect so the background can also looks sharp ?

One thing to note... MF is not all that scary. In the old days, everyone was in MF. ;)

Not just manual focus, but pretty much manual everything. :)

I remember my first camera, a Yashica fx3 - manual film SLR. It had a battery to help with metering, but when the first battery died, I didn't bother to replace it. So even metering became "manual" - use my eyes to gauge the lighting conditions and set the aperture and shutter speed (of course, taking into consideration the subject and desired outcome).

sorry OOT,

In this picture, i see that the background is very blur (look like MBS), is this intentional ? what settings need to be set to achieve such effect, and opposite effect so the background can also looks sharp ?

Perharp u can try ur hand on MF and u will understand. By adjusting the focus,u can focus on the near/far object..With a big aperture,u can blur out background/bring out the focus on the subject..

thanks, will try as soon i get my own this weekend, cheers.

hope got good deals then!

Help me got quoted 1199 at funan today.hoping to get it but this camera is worth this price right?

Help me got quoted 1199 at funan today.hoping to get it but this camera is worth this price right?

$1199 is a decent price but which shop offered it? Some shops quote low prices to lure you in then rip you off after that.

sorry OOT,

Yes it is intentional.

3 factors affect background blur
1. The closer the subject of focus is to the camera, the more the background blur.
2. The further the background is from the subject of focus, the more the background blur
3. The wider the aperture, the more the background blur.

Opposite effect is reverse the above 3 factors. But to get everything in focus and sharp... best way to get that is to use hyperfocal distance. Read the following article to understand how it is done:
http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/07/getting-everything-into-focus.html

$1199 is a decent price but which shop offered it? Some shops quote low prices to lure you in then rip you off after that.

TK foto