Help with scanning negatives

Changyanru

Nov 21, 2010
Hey guys, I have been into film for quite some years now and have gotten hold of a film scanner (Veho VFS-002m) a few years back and have always been scanning my own negatives, cutting down the cost of having the shops scan them into CDs for me. I don't shoot that often - I know it's not THAT GREAT of a film scanner.

Anyway, I have noticed that sometimes, a number of pictures from each roll of film will turn out something like this:

$Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 10.46.51 am.jpg

It's usually in the corners, and quite small so they don't usually matter to me since I don't print out my pictures. They also tend to follow the lines present in the image.

I honestly still have no idea what they are - it would be good if someone could enlighten me? Lol. Usually I would just re-insert my film into the scanner and it would go away after a few attempts.

But my recent roll of film came out with almost every picture filled with those "effects" which I would really like to rectify. It is an old roll of Kodak Elite Chrome 36 that probably expired in the 2000s - they were actually slides but the lab told me they don't do E6 processing anymore so they did a x-processing for me and basically transformed them back into negatives.

$Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 10.31.45 am.jpg
Note: this is the preview of the negative in the film scanning software and not the scanned film.

Is there a way round this? Am I doing something wrong? Is it the scanner? Do people with flatbed scanners get this too?

Thanks!

What software are you using? Have you checked for any updates recently?

What software are you using? Have you checked for any updates recently?

I'm using Media Impression by Arc Soft and I think it's pretty well updated!

I'm using Media Impression by Arc Soft and I think it's pretty well updated!

have you tried scanning with another software/program?

have you tried scanning with another software/program?

No I haven't. I've just been using that since it came with the scanner. Any other programs you recommend?

try scan using your digital camera + close focus lens

SilverFast is another software, I think it has a trial period. Mighty piece of software.

Try Vuescan

Second vue scan. There is a trial copy available for you to test if it solve your problem. Used both silver fast and vue scan. Both are good.