Help With Road Trip To Malacca

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi,

my friends and i decided to take a road trip to malacca.

we are exploring the idea of driving there. but we want to rent a car only in JB, we think that will be safer?

couple of questions
1. anyone knows where we can rent a vehicle that we can drive to malacca?

2. how else can we get to malacca? are there coaches? how much roughly and where to take from?

3. if we take a coach or something. is there somewhere we can rent a car in malacca? is it advisable?

thanks in advance!

wainism said:
hi,

we are exploring the idea of driving there. but we want to rent a car only in JB, we think that will be safer?

couple of questions

2. how else can we get to malacca? are there coaches? how much roughly and where to take from?

3. if we take a coach or something. is there somewhere we can rent a car in malacca? is it advisable?

thanks in advance!

How about book a tour from local or JB and taking a coach there. Convenient and no need to worry about location and rented of vehicle.

Hi, you could simply cross over to JB and take the coaches from there. I think there are a few tour companies over at the shopping centres, especially the one next to the JB railway station. It's a lot cheaper.

You may want to take a train from Singapore as an option.

Question is, why do you need to drive around? I think there's not much to see in Malacca. I used to do day trips to Malacca just for the fun of it. It's just about 2 hours away. But since you are so unsure, I do agree that it would be better if you follow a tour. The tour will take you to places that you need to see.

Simply go to any tour agency and ask for coach ticket to malacca, cost about $30.
Even a coach ticket to thailand cost about $40 only.

wainism said:
hi,

couple of questions

thanks in advance!

if all you want to do is explore malacca itself, you dont need to hire a car. its not that big.

if you havent driven in malaysia before,i really would suggest you take a coach. driving in malaysia has its own peculiarities so i wouldnt recommend it if you havent been up a few times or with others..

dont go to JB and take a coach... better to be safe than sorry :) i suggest you take a coach from here. can check on the net/ straits times classifieds for coach companies. most operate out of golden mile. here is one i found.
http://www.hasryexpress.com/delima.htm

thanks so much.

hmmm... seems like the road trip is gonna be degraded to a coach trip
haha... ok, guess we'll grab a coach there then

haha, hope we dont get lost

dont worry, malacca is really not very big.. the whole of jonker street and portuguese settlement etc, is only abou tthe size of chinatown.

lots of people go there for the chendol (some shop along jonker street) and the chicken rice balls..
theres also a chinese peranakan restaurant called daphnes i believe, off a side street halfway down jonker street. look out for an open air bar thats at the corner of a shophouse, its just down the street from the bar.
sell really good bak chang, salt fish pickle and their crabs are good too.

Hi there!

please do take a coach from Singapore. Went there last weekend via 707 Express from Beach Road - cheapest only SGD12 non stop , one way. Do get your return tickets from Singapore as well as they run out of tickets very fast. I've tried other coaches in the past but they all waste time stopping at the rest houses.
The hubby and I stayed at this place - http://www.hotelpuri.com/ If you appreciate history, you would like this place. The hotel is near to Jonker's Streets where there is good live music - Geographer's Cafe and another pub directly opposite it.
Do also try the massage at YingYang http://www.yingyangalt.com/home.htm This shop is opposite Puri Hotel. The setup was very simple but the massage was good. Btw, my advise is to take a walk around to soak in the sights or if you are really tired, hop on to the trishaw!

Enjoy your stay there!

the last time I checked, melaka was a few times larger than singapore.
So driving is indeed needed if you are going out from it's city limits to get to more locations in the outskirts. great locations for photoshoots may not be in the city area too.

my friends and I rented a MPV from JB and drove to malaca few years back.. IIRC, it's not cheap, almost on par with sg prices.

Note that they either take cash in full or CC payment but CC must have the smart card thingy.

You can also take a bus to Larkin and there's lots of private drivers / cabbies that will bring you to malaca and also lots of counters for bus trips. :D It's a nice place.

the thing is i have trouble finding a car rental service near the causeway

cos i m leaving like in erm... 2 hrs time. haha

wainism said:
the thing is i have trouble finding a car rental service near the causeway
cos i m leaving like in erm... 2 hrs time. haha
since u on internet, quickly search yellow pages directory for car rental companies in Johore.
Or when u get there, call the phone directory for car rentals also can lar...
all else fails, get a taxi :p
have a nice trip!

i really really would not advise you driving if this is ur first time going up there. of course if you rae going to go outside city centre, then perhaps, but if its just in and around the town area, as i said, its not necessary. easier and more convenient to pay for taxi, or arrange a couple of hours hotel limo.

also, Melacca city centre operates on a one way system around the whole of the inner city centre, so if you get lost or miss a turn, you are SOL.

jdredd said:
also, Melacca city centre operates on a one way system around the whole of the inner city centre, so if you get lost or miss a turn, you are SOL.
I think by now, our friend left already, lol.
anyway, though u get lost and keep doing circles, it's quite alright coz they dont have ERP system there :p and fuel cost also not as high as over here lar... so still bearable.

just walk over JB somewhere near city sq got a few rental shops liao that's where i got mine.. oops.. 2hrs passed already.

Hawk car rentals used to be about 500m away from the checkpoint. I've rented cars from there a couple of times. Having a car allows you to stop as and where you like, not be inhibited by the schedule of a tour group, and offers you relative safety in travelling through unfamiliar places off the beaten paths.

Malaysia Mega Sale start from 22 July to 3 Sept. Can shop and shoot liao.
Better to book the Hotel online from SG to avoid fully book or unable to find Hotel there.
Can go KL for shopping and maken if got time.

yo people!

thanks for all the replies man.

ok, here's wat i did for my road trip.

1) rented a car from a private owner(near holiday plaza) proton waja (1.6 auto) $120 per day. petrol top up at your own cost

2) drove to malacca at 150kmh(shiok) took me abt 2 hrs

3) ate at a restaurant near the river.

4) checked out Jonker Walk area, but think cos its thursday. very dead.

5) decided that it was no point staying over. so drove back. (was damn tempted to go to KL though. haha)

conclusion
its pretty safe to rent from a private rental. cos for a cost of $20 for insurance, u are liable to max of $1k if u meet with accidents. and if the car breaks down, the company will send another car to u at no extra charge. only downside is u need to leave ur IC there.

was quite fun driving up though its best u have 4 experienced drivers because it can be tiring. but better planning and time management wld have been better man.

all in all, great experience. thanks for all replies!

wainism said:
yo people!

thanks for all the replies man.

ok, here's wat i did for my road trip.

1) rented a car from a private owner(near holiday plaza) proton waja (1.6 auto) $120 per day. petrol top up at your own cost

3) ate at a restaurant near the river.

4) checked out Jonker Walk area, but think cos its thursday. very dead.

5) decided that it was no point staying over. so drove back. (was damn tempted to go to KL though. haha)

conclusion
its pretty safe to rent from a private rental. cos for a cost of $20 for insurance, u are liable to max of $1k if u meet with accidents. and if the car breaks down, the company will send another car to u at no extra charge. only downside is u need to leave ur IC there.

was quite fun driving up though its best u have 4 experienced drivers because it can be tiring. but better planning and time management wld have been better man.

all in all, great experience. thanks for all replies!

Leave your IC behind?? how about photocopy your IC or passport and pass to them or use old IC or other document.

In fact you need not bring IC go oversea. Passport is your identity liao.

Worry they use your IC to do some thing bad :sweat:

wainism said:

The open roads are very tempting for going fast, but please be wary of the crocs that lurk behind the bushes. They love extra cash, esp when they find out you're a Singgy. I've seen a couple of the "shooters", they park themselves on a stool behind a tree or shrub, and "shoot" you from behind. Totally cant see them from the driver's PoV.

Keep a look out for the coaches though - If they suddenly slow down for no apparent reason after going fast for the rest of the journey, be warned! I usually follow behind them. They cruise at 120-130 so I'll juz follow at a safe distance :)

Hope you enjoyed the trip. Malacca is good for dinner trips, so if you have the courage, explore further. IMHO, KL is still a jungle.

Status
Not open for further replies.