Help with reverse macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaobsession

May 14, 2006
Starting a new thread though I've been reading many of the previous threads on reverse macro.

My setup: 40d, 50mm f1.8 II, 55-250 f4-5.6 IS, 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS.

Bought ring(s) to connect 55-250 and the 50mm Had to buy two as I was told there is no male to male 52 -52. Had to get 52 and 58 ring.

Well, last night I tried 40d>55-250>ring>50

It does not work. At best, I can see something occasionally through my VF at 10mm working distance.

I think the issues lies with the AF? How to get the AF of the 50mm to work.

I am trying the reverse macro before investing in the 100mm f2.8 macro.

Cheers, Christophe

In reversed lens setup, mostly we use manual focusing.

Try not to stack lenses at the beginning, it is meant of high magnification macro.

If you stack your 50mm onto your 55-250mm, it will have a mag. rate of around 1:1 to 5:1, which is very difficult to handle.

If you wanted to try out macro with reverse lens method, get a adapter like BR2A to reverse your 18-55mm straight onto your camera body, but it will be on manual.

To added on, if you insist that you need AF, you can consider getting a extension tube set.
But MF is better for macro.

NOt that I insist, I just dunno :)

Well, When I MF, i MF on both lens? :( Hard right? or should i leave one of the lenses alone

Cheers, Christophe

NOt that I insist, I just dunno :)

Well, When I MF, i MF on both lens? :( Hard right? or should i leave one of the lenses alone

Cheers, Christophe

Set the reversed lens at infinity and aperture at wide open. Focusing and aperture is done using the the "un-reversed" lens. :)

Just a question. That what I came to understand, Setting aperture wide open and zoom to infinity. My prime 50mm f1.8 has no aperture ring right? so I assume it is wide open? As for focus to infinity, it means turning the focus ring to the extreme to focus to infinity right (need to check which direction).

Will go try out tonight.

Cheers, Christophe

Just a question. That what I came to understand, Setting aperture wide open and zoom to infinity. My prime 50mm f1.8 has no aperture ring right? so I assume it is wide open? As for focus to infinity, it means turning the focus ring to the extreme to focus to infinity right (need to check which direction).

Will go try out tonight.

Cheers, Christophe

Yes. :)

Hi again

Tried my setup last night with the 50mm reversed zoom to infinity. Well I think also it does not matter, coz even when i turn the MF the 50 mm, no change.

But there appears to be some significant vignetting on my pictures.

55-250mm f4 -5.6, with reverse 50mm f1.8.

I assume my aperture is wide open and constant on my 50mm.

At f20-22 on the 55-250 (setup on camera), I can get take photos. But vignetting is around 50% of the picture. So my pic are like in a circle frame.

when I zoom to 200 or 250, there is less vignetting, but did not manage to take any picture, because I cannot focus.

Notice also that the working distance is so close to the subject, something like 2-3cm, max will be 50mm right?

If I buy ef100mm, will it be so painful to take macro shots?? because with reserve macro, I do not think I can take moving object. If i wanna insect, I need to 'glue' them to the table maybe :) ** just kidding ** I have not tried ef100 or any macro lens, so not sure how is the feel when taking pictures.

Cheers, Christophe

Hi again

Tried my setup last night with the 50mm reversed zoom to infinity. Well I think also it does not matter, coz even when i turn the MF the 50 mm, no change.

But there appears to be some significant vignetting on my pictures.

55-250mm f4 -5.6, with reverse 50mm f1.8.

I assume my aperture is wide open and constant on my 50mm.

At f20-22 on the 55-250 (setup on camera), I can get take photos. But vignetting is around 50% of the picture. So my pic are like in a circle frame.

when I zoom to 200 or 250, there is less vignetting, but did not manage to take any picture, because I cannot focus.

Notice also that the working distance is so close to the subject, something like 2-3cm, max will be 50mm right?

If I buy ef100mm, will it be so painful to take macro shots?? because with reserve macro, I do not think I can take moving object. If i wanna insect, I need to 'glue' them to the table maybe :) ** just kidding ** I have not tried ef100 or any macro lens, so not sure how is the feel when taking pictures.

Cheers, Christophe

Not sure about the vignetting for your combo, is you 55-200mm at FF or a APS-C lens? Had try 200mm and stack a 50mm before, very huge setup and very painful to use in the field, so didn't have any good shot from it.

For insect shooting, reversed lens using your 18-55mm can is a good start, but it is till quite painful due to the short working distance. As for 100mm Macro, it is relatively much better, light enough to handheld and more easily to control, it can also use as a portrait lens.

But you are serious into insect, i would recommend something like Tamron 180mm or Canon 180mm Macro.

what do you mean by FF or AFS-C? I have the 55-250mm, the one that sell at $360. :)

Will upload a picture tonight of the shots I took with the reverse macro...

Hmmm, not sure if I am ready for the 180mm right now, due to the huge investment required. the 100mm is a more likely possible choice maybe.

Just been browsing through the price list on this forum...

EF100mm around 700-800, EF180 >2K, Tamron 180 ~1.1K Is the difference in IQ so much to warrant the significant difference in price?

Cheers, Christophe

what do you mean by FF or AFS-C? I have the 55-250mm, the one that sell at $360. :)

Will upload a picture tonight of the shots I took with the reverse macro...

Hmmm, not sure if I am ready for the 180mm right now, due to the huge investment required. the 100mm is a more likely possible choice maybe.

Just been browsing through the price list on this forum...

EF100mm around 700-800, EF180 >2K, Tamron 180 ~1.1K Is the difference in IQ so much to warrant the significant difference in price?

Cheers, Christophe

FF - Full Frame
APS-C - Crop sensor

Not very sure about Canon system, for Nikon DX lens is meant for camera using smaller sensor.

For price wise, $800 (Canon 100mm) and $1100 (Tamron 180mm) is not a big different. For my way of shooting, i would recommend Tamron 180mm (Canon 180mm unless budget is a problem).
But for 180mm macro lens, the way of shooting will be slightly different with 100mm. And how serious you want to go into macro-photography.

I am using 40d, crop is 1.6x.

Can you please elaborate on the different way of shooting with 100mm and the 180mm?
Are you refering only to the distance btween your camera and the subject, or the angle, or...something else.

Cheers, Christophe

Hi Leong,
Steal the thread a bit. Can you elaborate more on the last part where you say 180mm macro lens way of shooting will be different than 100mm? I need to know because I just got me 180mm. Thanks sifu.

I am using 40d, crop is 1.6x.

Can you please elaborate on the different way of shooting with 100mm and the 180mm?
Are you refering only to the distance btween your camera and the subject, or the angle, or...something else.

Cheers, Christophe

100mm still can handheld, 180mm will be slightly difficult.
100mm can be use in portrait, 180mm is quite limited in other use.
If you want to set on tripod, 100mm will have a problem as it don't have a lens collar.

I recommend 180mm due to it longer reach, narrower angle, hence will be more suitable in taking insect.

The question, how serious you are into it?
If you really wanted to jump into nature macro-photography, lots of bbb will come along.....
good tripod, good ballhead, flash, slave flash, flash bracket, focusing rail, plamp and more....

If you are unsure, start off with 100mm, and slowly upgrade to a longer lens.
But if you are very serious into it, go straight into 180mm, but you need to tame this lens.

I started off macro with 60mm + 2xTC and in 2 week time, i know what i want and jump into investing a 200mm macro.

You can view some of my shots in APAD.

Hi Leong,
Steal the thread a bit. Can you elaborate more on the last part where you say 180mm macro lens way of shooting will be different than 100mm? I need to know because I just got me 180mm. Thanks sifu.

It will need a more steady platform to secure a good shot, and bet that you know how much other bbb you need...:devil:
Shouldn't be a problem for you, since you had see lots of similar setup before you decided to invest into the Tamron 180.
You will know it in the field, i bet that you will love this lens.

From what I've been thinking, I will most likely go for Ef100mm, because I've also seen some nice portrait shots with that.

Still not sure how serious about macro for time being, hence will listen to your wise words.

Can I say that using ef 100mm for outdoor macro is good enough then for flowers, some insects, etc...as compared to reverse macro. (not comparing with 180mm)? I've seen some superbe shots of insects using reverse macro, but I think also not easy to achieve.

Cheers, Christophe

Can I say that using ef 100mm for outdoor macro is good enough then for flowers, some insects, etc...as compared to reverse macro. (not comparing with 180mm)? I've seen some superbe shots of insects using reverse macro, but I think also not easy to achieve.

Cheers, Christophe

Yes, 100mm is good.
Flower is not much a problem, for insect, just need to move in a few inches more.

It will need a more steady platform to secure a good shot, and bet that you know how much other bbb you need...:devil:
Shouldn't be a problem for you, since you had see lots of similar setup before you decided to invest into the Tamron 180.
You will know it in the field, i bet that you will love this lens.

Thanks Leong,
Will give it a try tomorrow at Ubin. You going?

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/109295
took this on reverse macro at pulau ubin on sat... was using 24-85 at 85mm, holding the lens there with my hand... the colours dont look as good as on my com though...

Status
Not open for further replies.