Help with recommendation on lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zy974

Nov 13, 2009
I currently own a 500D kit with 18-55mm lens...
I enjoy taking human portraits and animals but I find that the lens i own doesn't satisfy my needs... hence looking for lens with ok zooming and good when taking portrait photos.

Any recommendation on lens? :dunno:

In which way does the kit lens not satisfy your needs? Please detail your needs further. What is "ok zooming" for you? In which way are your current pictures not up to your expectations? Have you verified that the results are not due to errors at your side?
Beside this, there are beginner guides here that also include basic recommendations for lenses commonly used for portraits. Read up more.

oh sorry...
I wasn't satisfied with the zooming.... because i need to move quite close to the object to get a decent portrait... and by the time i move close enough to the animal.. it usually notice me and ran away... =.="

I dont need a very good zooming lens since most likely gonna cost me a bomb... but something better than what i'm having and most importantly... i need it to be good for portrait...

Last edited:
oh sorry...
I wasn't satisfied with the zooming.... because i need to move quite close to the object to get a decent portrait... and by the time i move close enough to the animal.. it usually notice me and ran away... =.="

I dont need a very good zooming lens since most likely gonna cost me a bomb... but something better than what i'm having and most importantly... i need it to be good for portrait...

18-55 doesn't work for taking animals. you will probably need at least a 70-200 f/4. for human portrait, the 50mm f/1.8 should be able to do the job.

If u r on Canon, almost nothing beats EF 85mm f1.2L II USM ! :devil:
Try it & u will be addicted ! :bsmilie:

You will get all sorts of suggestions, at least state a budget.

since I'm still a beginner, Budget below $1000 :p

Canon user btw

consider the following for the extra reach:

- Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

If you are not too choosy, try the 70-300mm IS.

If u r on Canon, almost nothing beats EF 85mm f1.2L II USM ! :devil:
Try it & u will be addicted ! :bsmilie:

tat was like $3000-$4000~~~ *faints*

Last edited:

just a question if i were to get one of these... does it mean i can replace 18-55 with that?

just a question if i were to get one of these... does it mean i can replace 18-55 with that?

They are different focal lengths, i would think its more of complement your kit lens instead of replacing.

eh, I would recommend the canon 18-200, can shoot wide angle, can zoom in a lot.

A great all in one lense.

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-200mm.htm

I heard some negative feedback on 18-200 that it doesnt really give quality images.. is it true..?
I'm currently thinking should I just sell away my 18-55 and go for either 18-135 or 18-200 since i dont have to go through the trouble of changing lens

Last edited:
I heard some negative feedback on 18-200 that it doesnt really give quality images.. is it true..?
I'm currently thinking should I just sell away my 18-55 and go for either 18-135 or 18-200 since i dont have to go through the trouble of changing lens

18-200mm is a good all-rounder. For a zoom lens of <S$1000, it produces good images with right focusing and colour, and it comes with the latest IS. Very very good for walking around and travelling. Nice portrait can be shot with the long end of the lens. Though the bokeh is not as pleasing as large aperture prime, it is still acceptable.
However the real downside is the lens creep. It can be quite annoying sometime.

Sounds like you probably could do with a general purpose walk around lens which can replace (and is an upgrade) on your 18-55. Consider the 15-85 which has some decent reviews?

I am using the 18-200mm now. I find that IQ is still ok for day shoot but night shoot it would be abit too soft for my liking. Was considering a replacement for the 18-200 range but there isnt any L lens in this focal range :(

18-200mm is a good all-rounder. Though the bokeh is not as pleasing as large aperture prime, it is still acceptable.
However the real downside is the lens creep. It can be quite annoying sometime.

What is creep? :sweat:

What is creep? :sweat:

In a simple way, its when the lens extend (usually with gravity) without you turning the zoom ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.