Help with RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyftk

Jun 24, 2005
Eastern Singapore
Hi everyone.

Just a quickie from me. What should the file extension for a pic taken in RAW mode on a 20D be? And what software can be used to edit it?

Thanks!

enghong17 said:
.CRW

Raw Shooter Essentials/Photoshop CS or CSII or Phase C1 PRO or the original Canon software.

:)
Er... Ok. If it's supposed to be .CRW, why is mine shooting in .CR2? Also, my Photoshop CS doesn't seem to support the .CR2 file format.

Checking with Adobe's website, only CS2 supports the plug-in for the 20D. Is this true?

Thanks for the help so far anyway... ;)

jeremyftk said:
Er... Ok. If it's supposed to be .CRW, why is mine shooting in .CR2? Also, my Photoshop CS doesn't seem to support the .CR2 file format.

Checking with Adobe's website, only CS2 supports the plug-in for the 20D. Is this true?

nope CS Adobe Camera RAW supports 20D CR2 format.

IIRC ACR 2.3 onwards supported 20D. Download (assuming you're using Windows)http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

jeremyftk said:

Ha Oops......thot the same as my 300D. There's updates on the Adobe page for newer cameras. :)

Support for the RAW formats of newer cameras via Adobe Camera Raw is available only in Photoshop CS 2. Even if you install the newer version of ACR in CS, it won't work. Tried it myself for my 350D. Luckily for you the 20D's RAW format is probably included in the last ACR update available for CS, which is Ver 2.4.

If not you can either:
1) Upgrade to CS2 (Not worth it if you just want RAW support for your cam)
2) Use 3rd party plug-ins (Conversion to jpg may not be as gd as ACR )
3) Convert to a file format supported by CS and edit from there.

Also, RAW file extension for both 350D and 20D are the same: .CR2, but they're not the same files from what I heard.

solarii said:
Support for the RAW formats of newer cameras via Adobe Camera Raw is available only in Photoshop CS 2. Even if you install the newer version of ACR in CS, it won't work. Tried it myself for my 350D. Luckily for you the 20D's RAW format is probably included in the last ACR update available for CS, which is Ver 2.4.

If not you can either:
1) Upgrade to CS2 (Not worth it if you just want RAW support for your cam)
2) Use 3rd party plug-ins (Conversion to jpg may not be as gd as ACR )
3) Convert to a file format supported by CS and edit from there.

Also, RAW file extension for both 350D and 20D are the same: .CR2, but they're not the same files from what I heard.

yup, you're rite. All new generations of RAW from canon (20D, 350D, 1DMarkII, 1DsMarkII, 5D) all sport the .CR2 extensions but they're not really exactly the same. 20D/1D2/1Ds2 were slightly "older" - that's why they're still supported with ACR 2.2 to 2.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.