help with NIE course

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1g3

Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
Is the NIE in Education course only good in teaching? for instance, after graduating with a B.of arts, die die must become teacher and nothing else?

untrue...in the past...ppl wif b.of arts used to get into more administrative positions..u can try goin into jounalism too...coz when i emailed them they said tt they take ppl from a wide scope...your writing muz be up to standard though...coz sph dun deny tt ppl from school of coms got better chance...

arts degree also depend on your choice of majors...if u in political science...i dun tink u will end up only as a teacher...u can become some secretary to an MP or something...

the best thing is not to think about the degree...but about what you wanna do next time...and send emails to see if it is workable...

Students taking poly route got no chance to go local uni except overseas. So are u saying with NIE Education degree can still do some other jobs? Wat about SIM's Uni of London (distant learning) degree? recognised or not?

E1g3 said:
Is the NIE in Education course only good in teaching? for instance, after graduating with a B.of arts, die die must become teacher and nothing else?

To begin with, if you're doing their B.A. with Diploma in Education Course, you'll have to complete a 4-year bond with them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

if i'm not mistaken, there are two ways getting admission into NIE.

1. you end up being a teacher. you'll be in one of the three courses: degree (BSc/BA), post grad (PGDE) or diploma. you'll be on payroll while on course, except 3rd + 4th year for the Degree course. after that you're gonna serve out the bond. you have to go for a MOE interview and sign a bond first before commencing the NIE course proper.

2. you are free to go after the course. but you have to pay some princely amount for the course - how much it is, i have no idea.

E1g3 said:

well, in a way yes as the NIE course is very specific in preparing the undergraduates for the teaching profession. if i am not wrong, the teachers who graduate from the NIE degree course can only teach in primary schools. whereas graduates with bachelor of arts from NUS can take up a postgraduate diploma in teaching and then teach in secondary and JC levels. So unless you want to become a teacher in primary school, no point taking the NIE degree course as it is very limiting.

check www.ntu.edu.sg for more info about the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.