Help with Engine Oil Needed Urgently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picard

May 27, 2004
Clementi, Singapore
Urgent advice needed :
Am in KL Malaysia now celebrating CNY. Discovered this afternoon that my engine has been leaking engine oil. Just had a check with the dip stick and feel a bit uncomfortable with the level - though it crosses the half way mark it looks a bit 'thin'.:sweat:

Can I just buy a can of premium Shell Engine Oil from the nearby pertrol kiosk and just pour it in or should I just ask someone to flush it out?

I certainly plan to have it check once I reach back to SG on Monday PM.

Thanks for advise in advance.

1. Yes you can buy a can of engine oil to refill; but try to buy the same type, if not next oil change or oil sump you can change it also- no hurry.

2. Oil level within the upper and lower mark is acceptable. It's only unacceptable when it's below the lower mark. It's also normal some engine oil is being consumed during driving (more so when driving high rev or over-rev) so you may not actually have a engine oil leak at all.

3. Oil is normally thin when the engine is still hot so it's normal.

4. Do not over-fill your engine oil or serious damages may occur.

If you can't wait to repair your oil system, hang out around Subang Jaya industrial estate. There're alot of workshop run by non Chinese so it's still open. Just take care not to get chopped because yours is a Singaporean number plate- try to get a mature local to go with you.

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. I discovered the leak before going out for Reunion Dinner Part II (saw fresh brown oil on porch floor) this evening as I pulled the car out of the main porch of my brother's house - In SIngapore, unless you stay in a house it's quite difficult to check that as we almost certainly park at different lots every time we arrive home.

Anyway will check engine oil level again tomorrow when engine has cooled. Hope don't need anything drastic.

BTW..if I need to top up, how to ensure that I don't fill till overflow?

Last edited:
Check engine oil by pulling out a dipstick with the marking "engine" on it. Pull it out and wipe with tissue and dip it in to get accurate reading.

If you are not sure, go to nearest petrol kiosk to ask an encik to help you check.

The dip stick shall have markings like Full, Max, Low. Top up bit by bit and check dipstick. Top up to level just below the full mark.

Check engine oil level after car is parked for 20min. This is to allow most oil to get to the sum area for measuring.

And yes, you can top up before heading back. it should still be drivable unless your piston is about to go bust.

pour a bit, then check with dipstick... if not enough, pour a bit more...
As a rough guide, the oil required during an oil change is about 4 litres. So half is 2 litres... and well, you do the math.

As for grade of oil to get, assuming you are operating a normal sedan, the following grades should suffice:
15w30
15W40
10W40

Do not get high performance motor oil (eg 0w20, 0w30) as those can be too thin for the temporary top up. Synthetic oil or semi-synthetic are good to have.

I once drove a rental car with malfunctioning oil pressure light (blown fuse) and leaking engine oil which seized in the middle of nowhere, GG to the the rental company. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for all who have replied. Checked this morning and found oil level to be good - still touching the 'full' level.

May try to tighten the knob below before heading back to SG.

Wish me luck. Thanks again.

Arrived back in SG safely. Thanks again to all who have rendered advice.

Have a BLessed Lunar New Year.

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.