Help with DSLR choice needed.

elfenstar

Aug 18, 2013
Singapore
Hi guys, I'm new here and I think my first request for help was posted in the wrong section and the post got deleted.

I'm thinking of getting a DSLR for general purpose use. It will be used for holiday, kids, family events etc, and to be honest I think a weather resistant unit like the K30 or K50 will be more than adequate. Neither should set me back more than $1.5k with the 18-135mm lens.

The problem is that I have a Nikon F4 which I inherited from my dad along with 9 AF lenses (thus no entry level stuff), so another option is to get a Nikon, but at min I need to get the D7000. Based on my usage, I doubt I'll use most of the pro level features on the D7000 and the 5 prime lenses that I have. I figure that some here will say get an entry level dslr and keep the F4 to use film as well but I do have an R8 with another 5 lenses which I'm planning on keeping just for that purpose.

Considering my use, can anyone advise me on the pros and cons of flogging off the F4 and my Nikon lenses and getting an entry level DSLR vs getting a D7000 and keeping all the lenses that I probably won't use?

While I'm at it, IF I were to flog off the F4 and lenses to one of the second hand shops at peninsular, can someone please give me a rough figure on how much I should ask for? I know the buy and sell here would get me better prices, but I think it's too work haggling over these many items. Everything I have is in excellent condition with no fungus/mould and minimal dust (that doesn't affect the optics). The items are as follows:

Nikon F4
Tokina 20-35mm f3.5-4.5
Nikon 24-120mm f3.5-5.6
Nikon 35-70mm f2.8
Nikon ED 70-180mm f4.5-5.6
Nikon 50mm f1.8
Nikon 85mm f1.8
Nikon 105mm f2.8
Nikon 135mm f2
Nikon ED 300mm f4
Teleplus MC7

Last edited:
check out the BNS section on the price you would get for the items.

check out the BNS section on the price you would get for the items.

Thanks for that. I kind of already checked so I was wondering if just deducting 50% off would be good if I was to sell in bulk to one of the 2nd hand shops in the peninsular area.

Thanks for that. I kind of already checked so I was wondering if just deducting 50% off would be good if I was to sell in bulk to one of the 2nd hand shops in the peninsular area.

please don't devalue your lenses.

sell them at what you know they're worth. you'll be making a fool of yourself, because the shops will jack up the prices for their own profit.

so sell them here in CS.

sell the F4 away, at personal classified section,

than top up some money, get a used D700, so you can use all the existing lenses,

take your time, replace or sell off the lenses which you think it is not useful with your DSLR.

please don't devalue your lenses.

sell them at what you know they're worth. you'll be making a fool of yourself, because the shops will jack up the prices for their own profit.

so sell them here in CS.

Yeah I know they'll take in the stuff at low prices and flog them off at higher than the marketplace prices, but they do need to earn money too lah. Anyway if I don't sell them chances are most will just sit in the dry cabinet. Anyway thanks heaps for your input. I have taken what you said into consideration.

If I do decide to sell, I will go get the shop buy in prices, list them here for a while, and if I haven't got any equal or higher offers, I'll flog them off to the shop. This way the enthusiasts can get first dibs (and cheaper prices) which is what I would actually prefer.

Last edited:
well, do PM me if you intend to sell your stuff. i might be interested if i have the extra cash :)

sell the F4 away, at personal classified section,

than top up some money, get a used D700, so you can use all the existing lenses,

take your time, replace or sell off the lenses which you think it is not useful with your DSLR.

I know. I didn't mention it but I'm thinking about the D600 too (like the d700 I won't need to worry about crop factor then), or getting the Leica M (since I can get an official adapter to use with the R series lenses that I already have, and it gives lousy photographers like me some street cred LMAO). The latter involves flogging off the F4 and it's lenses too though :bsmilie: Both these options are way overkill though since chances are I'll only ever use non-auto settings when the camera can't handle the scene the way I would like it to. And I figure that to be more the exception than the norm at this equipment level.

*sigh* Maybe I'll just get the K30 with the 18-135mm lens first and decide what to sell of after a bit of use.

Last edited:
well, do PM me if you intend to sell your stuff. i might be interested if i have the extra cash :)

Will do. Just got to figure out what I really want to do with a dslr. Ha! I have a birthday lunch this sat. Should take one of the camera's out to take some film shots.

Last edited:
Hi guys, just to let those who were interested in the lenses know. I bought myself a K30 with the 18-135mm kit lens on Saturday. I have decided to keep the nikon stuff for a little while more in-case I get interested in proper photography again, then all I'll need to do is buy a nice body.

I totally forgot how much I missed having full controls and decent optics :D Even the dials and buttons felt great to use (vs say camera FX on googles play store)!

Auto was brilliant enough that my better half stopped scolding me (and requested for me to bring it to yesterday's family gathering) after she took a couple of shots :bsmilie:

Thanks again for all the advice guys!!! :thumbsup: