Help With Dry Box!

appleshem

May 25, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hey,
i got a dry box which the RH is always at 60%, is it possible to lower it to like 40% or something?
mine is a dry box, not a cabinet where as you have knots to turn all that.
ideas?? o_O
Thanks. Shem

Put more silica gel.

on top of more silica gels. Check the rubber seal if the box is air tight. Replace seal or box if it doesn't.

i guess that's the most logical thing to do hehe ...

Hey,
i got a dry box which the RH is always at 60%, is it possible to lower it to like 40% or something?
mine is a dry box, not a cabinet where as you have knots to turn all that.
ideas?? o_O
Thanks. Shem

60% is normal ambient RH.

erm. better put some silica gel into the dry box. You are supposed to do that.

Theres is silica gel inside already.. planning to put more just incase.. thanks guys.

are your silica gel already 'wet'? maybe need a recharge.

Or there is a leak somewhere in the box.

Theres is silica gel inside already.. planning to put more just incase.. thanks guys.
What colour does the Silica Gel have? Blue or something else? Is it from a sealed container or somewhere else?

Reading from my (non electric) dry box: RH approx 40% when the silica gel is new. It creeps up over a few months period as the gel absorbs moisture. The frequency of opening the box will affect how quickly the gel reaches its full absorption limit. I would suggest that you change the gel when the RH is >50%.

Reading from my (non electric) dry box: RH approx 40% when the silica gel is new. It creeps up over a few months period as the gel absorbs moisture. The frequency of opening the box will affect how quickly the gel reaches its full absorption limit. I would suggest that you change the gel when the RH is >50%.

:eek: few months!?!?
Mine went to 50 or even 60% within a week!!:bigeyes:

You would want to check the seal. Additionally, how often do you open your box?

Just to ensure that my imagination didn't get the better of me, I am going to record some reading. I changed out the gel and after about 20 mins, the reading settled at 38%. My box is about 8 liters without vacuum pump and 500g of gel are used. Let's see the result after a week and thereafter.

You would want to check the seal. Additionally, how often do you open your box?

Just to ensure that my imagination didn't get the better of me, I am going to record some reading. I changed out the gel and after about 20 mins, the reading settled at 38%. My box is about 8 liters without vacuum pump and 500g of gel are used. Let's see the result after a week and thereafter.

Checked and the rubber seal is still working fine!! :dunno:

if it is the gel that comes with the dry box, sometimes the people selling it didn't bother to do anything about it, and then it just doesn't get very effective after a while.

when i was still using a dry box, i preferred to use hungry hippo or the imitations of it, just buy the smaller version, and open half the lid.

if it is the gel that comes with the dry box, sometimes the people selling it didn't bother to do anything about it, and then it just doesn't get very effective after a while.

when i was still using a dry box, i preferred to use hungry hippo or the imitations of it, just buy the smaller version, and open half the lid.

I replaced the gel as soon as i got the dry box and change it once a week due to the RH hitting more then 50%

Judging from it, it seems like my dry box is not working good:angry:

Guess i will just get the smaller version of hippo from supermarket and put in into the cabinet where my dry box stay.

Thanks bro!;)

This is very off topic but i dun wanna create a new thread asking just 1 single thing.
When taking photo in RAW, After PP(if there is any), which format will most of the ppl save in? JPEG?:embrass:

Last edited:
i save in JPG, but some people with a lot of hard disk space will save in TIF. TIF is lossless.

i save in JPG, but some people with a lot of hard disk space will save in TIF. TIF is lossless.

Went down to the nearest fairprice and get a imitation hippo, hope the RH level wont shoot so fast now:confused:

Alright, thanks bro;) Tried TIF just now and the size of the image increase by 20MB:bigeyes: So i'll just stick to JPG;)

are your silica gel already 'wet'? maybe need a recharge.

Or there is a leak somewhere in the box.

Hi bro... Just to check with you... How do we recharge the silica gel? Mine is always pinkish in colour and my reading is about 70%....:embrass:

Please advise.

Thanks.

Hi bro... Just to check with you... How do we recharge the silica gel? Mine is always pinkish in colour and my reading is about 70%....:embrass:

Please advise.

Thanks.

google could have advised you better, seriously

just type in "how to recharge silica", don't even need to include the gel:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5035187_recharge-silica-gel.html
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_recharge_silica_gel

do note that cobalt chloride, which can be found in BLUE silica gel to indicate how badly the gel needs to be recharged, is a possible carcinogen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel