Help!! Why my photos like that one!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sispecho

Sep 11, 2006
Clementi
hello guys, I recently sent in a roll of film for developing and scanning only, but the photos towards the end of the roll where i was finishing my last shots ended up with weird marks. I suspect those are watermarks as i guess they would be likeliest at the last few shots as normally they will clip the 'tail' of the film negatives to a string or something for drying, and thus uneven drying. I have no experience at all in film processing so if possible i would appreciate if someone enlighten me on what made the weird marks, as i would want to make my case to the developing booth. I hope these defects are from the mishandling of the developing party and not through the fault of my technique or equipment. Also i looked through the negatives and they look fine to my Nooby eye, though sad to say i see Lots of finger marks... Dont they wear gloves or something?

And can the negative be rescanned with the result being void of the defects or is it lost?

Thanks for taking your time to read guys...

00650002.jpg

00650001.jpg

Last edited:
really unacceptable.. any physical defects to negs are really hard to recover back, contrast wise alittle PP would help alot but the water stains are really a big headache..

Yes, all staff handling films, whether slides, transparency, colour negative or black and white should wear gloves and only handle films by the edges, but you would notice most of them doesn't follow the rules, sometimes can't even find any glove available in the shop.
And if you are unlucky, one of them, after having their lunch, or finger foods might put their greasy thumb print onto the neg or prints. I'd got such experience, and when confronted, the staff reply : it's like that one, so I had to bring it up to the supervisor or manager or boss, and they will clean it with some chemical solution. That will be the last time I patronise this shop, be it how famous or popular.

As for those blue/purple spot on the print, it seems like ( to my assumption, others may have different opinion ) inherent on your neg. Please check it with a lupe against a light source.
The hazy result is quite similar to one that I'd processed and printed pictures years ago. it was an expired roll of colour films. ( so it was my fault then ) But for yours..I'm not too sure.
that' all I can contribute.

And one thing for sure...the shop will surely deny any responsibilities, and that's a norm, especially you did not sound it out there and then. There are always tiny small text ( disclaimer )on the developing envelope to protect them.

Last edited:
you negative looks foggy, is it a fresh roll or expired film?

if it is a fresh roll, you exposure is way off,

as for the mark, is unable to tell who's fault, it could be already on your neg, like uneven coating of emulsion, it could be chemical residue during processing, it could be film get wet before processing.

as for handling film, usually we only hold the film by the edge, so need not always wear gloves, unless we intend to touch or hold the film surface.

yeap my exposure was way off because it was my last two exp and only had my f4 lens indoors, dont want to risk handshake. The foggy part film wasnt expired i think because i had recently just bought it but it went thru a few film-safe x-rays at the airrport. ISO400. If the negative cant be saved, then, LL suck thumb lor. fight with the shop also for what, cannot save the photos.

I know its just the last few photos that kena, but im kinda sad that this happened. I dont wanna imagine how im gonna explain if it were an impt photo.

Hope this dont happen often, because i was just thinking of switching 70% to film.

Last edited:
you go to the lab KPKB also no use, the most they will just throw you a fresh roll of neg for compensation, don't you ever read the fine print on the order envelop from the lab?

Can try to touch it up digitally. No other choice already.

Still scratching my head, as comparing my foggy experience, it was a case of whole roll while yours only happened in the last few shot. Were the earlier shots all came out okay ? Maybe can post to show some comparison.

Catchlight is correct that if care is exercise, glove can be dispense with. But even if accidentally put a finger print mark on the film, it can be wipe off with cotton bud dipped with some thin alcohol. Kodak did sold some bottle of film cleaning fluid which could remove finger print and some surface fungus on films and slides. Not sure whether shops still carry this stuff since films user are getting less.

Probably chemical residue from the developing process as nowadays film processing is at
such low volume and the chemicals must always be use constantly or else such things
happened.

Had such experience when my films came back from the Lab.There was a line across
some of the pictures scanned into the CDs.When checked with the Lab the explaination
was that crystals will sometime form when the chemicals were seldom used therefore when after the negs were rolled out from the machine it got scratched along the way.

Hahahah..
And then deal with colour cast issues, having to review 1000s of photos after a shoot, card failure, camera doesnt work in crazy cold winters etc..
Aint no perfect format out there, each has its own pros and cons.

U may want to go Digital in future? Relieve you of one big potential problem of developing film.

Looks like it's time to go to other labs. This is a more extreme case of mishandling. The colours are likely to come from expired, badly premixed, oxidised or over recycled solvents and the process is so sloppy and wrong that you got halides stuck on your film! :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.