IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1814.jpg

Pls advice thanks a million in advance!

melvin said:
Hi!
For night shoot what type of white balance is advisable / better?:dunno:
Pls advice thanks a million in advance!

Let me ask you...

Looking at those shots you take? Which one do you like? When you look at the post office picture ( first one on the top ) what feeling do you get from looking at the scene..and then look at the cooler tone one below?

The "tone" tells a story and sets a mood. Right or wrong...what type of white balance you want depends on what story you want to tell.

Personally I like the warm look. It brings out the richness of the colour lights against the building. It could have been better if you under expose it abit more though :)

which one looks more closely to the original?
I for one, prefer natural colours.

darn, the christmas decos are out already? they sure are early...

i prefer the auto white balance (actually u can get the same effect with shade white balance) shot because it is warmer and thus makes the building look cosier. since the shot shows the christmas decorations, i think the warmer shot looks better->cosy christmas feel.
the one with more natural colours looks like a typical snapshot.

The centerpoint building shots are confirmed overexposed. I would prefer the Tungsten WB.

maritimus831 said:
i prefer the auto white balance (actually u can get the same effect with shade white balance) shot because it is warmer and thus makes the building look cosier. since the shot shows the christmas decorations, i think the warmer shot looks better->cosy christmas feel.
the one with more natural colours looks like a typical snapshot.

Now you are thinking like a designer..... :)

Picture is about mood..of what it evoke when you look at it...yes it might not be close to what you see in real life but when you show it to someone, they look at it from a mood perspective and never from a technical stand point. But yes it can go either way still. I am sure some would like it as real as possible to what their eyes see.

careful there...overexposure. it depends on what u like la. no hard and fast rules about this

sammy888 said:
Let me ask you...

Looking at those shots you take? Which one do you like? When you look at the post office picture ( first one on the top ) what feeling do you get from looking at the scene..and then look at the cooler tone one below?

The "tone" tells a story and sets a mood. Right or wrong...what type of white balance you want depends on what story you want to tell.

Personally I like the warm look. It brings out the richness of the colour lights against the building. It could have been better if you under expose it abit more though :)

Err...actually i like both as u said each individual brings out different mood depends on what mood i want to bring out. AWB gives a warm feeling...tungsten the coolness...both r also mood of chirstmas...:dunno:

Thanks for your tips! at least now i know the orangey feeling is known as warm ... :sweat:

michhy said:
which one looks more closely to the original?
I for one, prefer natural colours.

darn, the christmas decos are out already? they sure are early...

Ya.. this year they are abit early... if i remember correctly the lighting will strech to marina ... another new route for routemarch ;)

megaweb said:
The centerpoint building shots are confirmed overexposed. I would prefer the Tungsten WB.

Hee...din upload the proper one. Will this shot be a beta one?

IMG_1816.jpg

Thanks!:)

Prefer tungsten for the centrepoint. The bottom third is too warm for my taste, and takes away the cool-blue design effect of the top 2 thirds of xmas deco. If highlights were not overblown, I believe the effect would be even better.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
careful there...overexposure. it depends on what u like la. no hard and fast rules about this

Thanks! Other than exposure anything else i can improve on?:sweat:

Hi! shinken,

Will the pict just above ur thread be a beta one? is it a little under expose?:sweat:

I think it's quite well exposed. If I comment any further on exposure I would be nitpicking. It's already quite good as it is. That was the effect I was hoping for (as I posted my comment just before you posted the "new" pic)

shinken said:
I think it's quite well exposed. If I comment any further on exposure I would be nitpicking. It's already quite good as it is. That was the effect I was hoping for (as I posted my comment just before you posted the "new" pic)

Thanks! shinken for your encouragement!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.