Help: Which f/2.8 Lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyanchua

Dec 21, 2007
Hi all, I would like to seek your opinion on the following 2 lenses which I am considering now:
1) Nikon AF-S DX 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
2) Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II LD

I don't have issue on the ranges they covered. The 5mm less for the Tamron lens is fine for me. But we know that the Nikon lens is way more expensive than the Tamron, is it worth the money to buy the Nikon lens? What is the disadvantages of Tamron lens as compared to the Nikon one?

Many thanks in advance :)

nikkon one got VR or not?
wat is the price difference?

I have the Nikon lens and it is best lens to be use on DX format for it range.
I try the Tamron lens on a same model camera body as mine, the focusing is too slow for my liking.

somebody commented the image quality is similar, which I do not really want make a comparison since the lens focusing is too slow.

maybe for others, due to the great price different of this two lens, will really looking at the Tamron lens.

btw, the Tamron lens is only about one third of the Nikon lens.

Shared: Bought my Tamron F2.8 at Thailand. Cheaper over there than here.

the tamron one oly $600+ so it's less than 1/3 the price of the nikon... I did not use the nikon 17-55 before, but the IQ of this budget lens is quite good i would say...
i dun think the focus is slow... no doubt it's slower than my 50m f1.8 but a only 1/3 the price of the nikon this is definitely a good buy...

Slow focus? Is it slower than kit lenses, such is Nikon 18-55? My main purpose is to use it for indoor event shoots such as birthday party or dinner outing. So is the focus of the Tamron lens suitable for my purpose?

Slow focus? Is it slower than kit lenses, such is Nikon 18-55? My main purpose is to use it for indoor event shoots such as birthday party or dinner outing. So is the focus of the Tamron lens suitable for my purpose?

Not slower per-se. It is dependent on lighting too. If light is too dim, the Tamron is unable to lock focus and will hunt; it gets very irritating when that happens.

Never used the Nikon b4, but just got the tamron one with Motor..

1) Image quality is there. Sharp.
2) Focus is slow, but hey.. I got 2nd hand for $550. Slow in the sense that for Nikon lens.. it hunt and focus. While this tamron.. hunts focus and fine tune.. and the fine tune part is slow.

Compare to the Nikkor Lens I have like the 16-85mm and 50mm F1.4.. would say that the colour contrast is not as good.. but good enough for that price. It does not fall behind... much. Pictures straight out from the cam is usable.

Thanks for all the info. I should be buying the Tamron lens, probably a 2nd hand one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.