Help...which digital Cam to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bsmilie:
For your "view concert on LCD" requirement? No.

I have given up the option of using the LCD screen to view concerts cos if I am really gotta do that it means the camera gotta have good (DPI:dunno:) LCD screen. And good LCD screens normally mean high end camera right? or wrong?

:bsmilie:

I have given up the option of using the LCD screen to view concerts cos if I am really gotta do that it means the camera gotta have good (DPI:dunno:) LCD screen. And good LCD screens normally mean high end camera right? or wrong?

if you wanna view concert i realli think a set of binoculars is a better option..

if you looking for a pns for regular usage.. your budget is more than enough for almost all the pns cameras available in the market.. =)

1. Budget is ard less then 600.
2. Was looking at Canon and Nikon
3. Mostly on scenery follow by candid and lastly people
4. Web follow by slides shows.

Hence I was deciding on canon 860IS and Nikon S510. What do you think about this 2 model? good enough?
I see. Most of our members cannot comment due to they do not own these cameras. You can look up the camera review at www.dpreview.com or search the threads related to the model. My opinion is all cameras are good and capable to take nice and good quality photos. From your specification, I would recommend you to get fujifilm F series e.g. F31 or F50. Fujifilm camera is good for low noise for high ISO, thus good for indoor, low lighting, candid. Also good enough for web and slides shows.

Fujifilm camera is good for low noise for high ISO, thus good for indoor, low lighting, candid. Also good enough for web and slides shows.

Then does it mean that canon and nikon are not good for low lighting photo taking? By the way what do you mean by "low noise"? Does it meant the snow like distortation on a LCD screen when taking photo?

Then does it mean that canon and nikon are not good for low lighting photo taking? By the way what do you mean by "low noise"? Does it meant the snow like distortation on a LCD screen when taking photo?

They are not necessary bad. But I think you get the idea. Noise are like coloured grains on your picture. :)

Then I think I know what it meant liao. As in converting AC to DC current there are distortation also classified as "noise" that makes the DC current distort. So I somehow or rather catch it. But I still don't understand on the ISO part. Sounds confusing.

Then I think I know what it meant liao. As in converting AC to DC current there are distortation also classified as "noise" that makes the DC current distort. So I somehow or rather catch it. But I still don't understand on the ISO part. Sounds confusing.

You might wanna take a look at this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise

Still abit too profound for me...in that case no one has ever use the canon 860IS and nikon s510? anyone has any comment?

As long as you know what is image noise and how it affects your image, it's ok.

This is noise. Basicly, the lesser the better. You don't want too much of them to spoil your image. When you shoot in lower light places, the camera will increase the ISO value to compensate for the low light. The higher the ISO value, the more noise.

Highimgnoise.jpg

(from wikipedia)

OK noted. Thanks for the example. But does anyone have any comment on the 2 model that I mentioned?

OK noted. Thanks for the example. But does anyone have any comment on the 2 model that I mentioned?

You already got a comment, which was to do some of your own research. If you ask that sort of question here, you'll have the Canon fanboys telling you to get the Canon, and the Nikon fanboys telling you to get the Nikon. Why not go try both cams for yourself and see which one feels better in your hand?

You already got a comment, which was to do some of your own research. If you ask that sort of question here, you'll have the Canon fanboys telling you to get the Canon, and the Nikon fanboys telling you to get the Nikon. Why not go try both cams for yourself and see which one feels better in your hand?

Relax a bit. I haven't seen any Nikon/Canon fanboys here yet. :bsmilie: He is just asking a question. :)

To Perfectzector:

Like what Rashkae said, go try them out. You might wanna search Google for some sample pictures. I think I would go for the Canon. IMO, Canon P&S are better.

I think I would go for the Canon. IMO, Canon P&S are better.

I know canon cameras are better. Cos my father had an old canon EOS camera that I used to take photos with but problem is that model too bulky. And now I need a PNS camera I can't decide on which brand. At first I was taking of olympus because of its weather resistance ability, I was thinking of buying for a japan trip but then again I won't be going to japan every year so I scrap that idea. Now I am torn between canon and nikon I like the 860IS but it's pricey. Then I came across nikon S510 it looks nice too. But from what I see at dpreview nikon seems good for close up shot. Anyone any comment?

I know canon cameras are better. Cos my father had an old canon EOS camera that I used to take photos with but problem is that model too bulky. And now I need a PNS camera I can't decide on which brand. At first I was taking of olympus because of its weather resistance ability, I was thinking of buying for a japan trip but then again I won't be going to japan every year so I scrap that idea. Now I am torn between canon and nikon I like the 860IS but it's pricey. Then I came across nikon S510 it looks nice too. But from what I see at dpreview nikon seems good for close up shot. Anyone any comment?

Canon DSLRs and Canon PNSs are 2 different animals. Just like Nikon DSLRs and Nikon PNSs are 2 different animals. DSLRs have bigger sensors so that when they capture low-light pics at high ISO, there is much less noise.

The only good low-light PNSs are the Fujifilm Finepixes.

I know canon cameras are better. Cos my father had an old canon EOS camera

By old I mean those canon cameras that uses film not DSLR. EOS model doesn't necessary mean Digital models

I think I would stick to Canon 860IS. Reason being that I have used my father conventional camera (EOS 850 film camera) for a number of times and I quite like the turning dial on it. So I reckon the 860IS might have a similar thingy too. Now the only thing in my way is the price itself. Mustafa selling it for 629 with 1 2GB card and a cleaning kit. And the other shops that were mentioned by the forum members here also sell at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.