Help: What tripod?


Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_jason

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,081
0
0
Singapore
www.pbase.com
#1
Hi all.

I would like some recommendations and personal comments about tripods which can be used primarilly for macro shooting with DSLR (meaning able to go low with short centre column), and secondary use with large telephoto lens (up to maybe 300mm f/2.8).

Went down to CP today, and had a look at the Gitzo 1228 Carbon Fibre ($800) and Gitzo 1224 Aluminium ($420). Stephen told me both can support up to 8kg, which will suit my needs. The aluminium one to me feels much sturdier. What are your views on these 2? Also, any equivilent Manfrotto or Slik ones to recommend? Seems they currently don't have any Manfrotto ones in that weight supporting range.

Secondly, what will be a suitable 4-way pan-tilt head which can be used well with either of these tripods? They only have 1 Gitzo 1200 series 4-way pan-tilt head left, so did not get to see the rest. I would like one which would be suitable for a SLR with 180mm macro lens.

Getting a good tripod is an investment, unlike camera body or lens which will be 'obsolete' in time. So hope for your views, thanks!
 

yamcake

Senior Member
Aug 11, 2003
987
0
16
31
#3
its craziness at its very best..

800 bucks for a 3 leg tripod?!

well no offence...

but what is the difference?
 

mr_jason

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,081
0
0
Singapore
www.pbase.com
#4
yamcake said:
its craziness at its very best..

800 bucks for a 3 leg tripod?!

well no offence...

but what is the difference?
The name Gitzo.

And also it's Carbon Fibre. Supposedly equal/higher tensile strength at less weight than aluminium.
 

plinius

New Member
May 22, 2003
669
0
0
44
Singapore
Visit site
#5
yo! OT here: u the guy who was at CP today at around 130-2pm looking for tripod? i was there too.....saw you taking picture outside near the traffic light too....did i get it right?

:think:
 

mr_jason

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,081
0
0
Singapore
www.pbase.com
#6
plinius said:
yo! OT here: u the guy who was at CP today at around 130-2pm looking for tripod? i was there too.....saw you taking picture outside near the traffic light too....did i get it right?

:think:
haha, yeah that was me. u were looking at the manfrotto ones izzit?

i did manage to get a funny shot at the traffic light, heh, posted it in the street/candid section.
 

plinius

New Member
May 22, 2003
669
0
0
44
Singapore
Visit site
#7
ok ok...luckily the subject of the funny shot wasn't me! :D

yup..i was the one with the big big olive ninja turtle bag looking at manfrotto...........nice meeting u!

mr_jason said:
haha, yeah that was me. u were looking at the manfrotto ones izzit?

i did manage to get a funny shot at the traffic light, heh, posted it in the street/candid section.
 

mr_jason

New Member
Jul 22, 2003
1,081
0
0
Singapore
www.pbase.com
#8
plinius said:
ok ok...luckily the subject of the funny shot wasn't me! :D

yup..i was the one with the big big olive ninja turtle bag looking at manfrotto...........nice meeting u!
sama sama :D

Think the 1228 out of my price range. :angry:

Anyone who has compared the Gitzo 1226 with the 1224 before care to help?
 

Helbreath

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2003
993
0
16
Visit site
#9
mr_jason said:
sama sama :D

Think the 1228 out of my price range. :angry:

Anyone who has compared the Gitzo 1226 with the 1224 before care to help?
well if you compare the 1224 with the 1226, 1224 goes to 145cm without using centre column. 1226 goes to 148 WITH centre column.
I am 1.8m and the 1224(without using centre column) + ballhead + mounting on lens tripod collar goes exactly on my eye level(as if like made to order)

Only camplain is the weight(2.5kg) and that it is too long when folded(66cm)
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#10
I am also looking for a tripod good for macro shooting. Apparently the gitzo explorer series are supposed to be very good for macro photography as the central column can have variable angle setting and you can set it up in the wierdest kind of position.

But the gitzo a bit too expensive, so I'm mainly looking at the manfrotto 190pro.. :D
 

yiming

New Member
Mar 17, 2004
235
0
0
Newton
#12
CP say manfrotto coming in this end month. i want to go check out the 3021. suppose to be very vfm. gitzo a bit ex lor. $800 is too painful.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom