Help! - what to look out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

with_brokenwings

Jul 6, 2006
the 15th
www.eugene.oepri.com
hi all..

im buying my first SLR cam soon and its a second hand EOS 300D. since this is my first slr, what should i look out for to make sure im getting a good deal..?

btw, is shutter count important?

really appreciate it!
eugene

PS: im selling a brand new hp photosmart printer 8450 at $230. its unopened and price is negotiable.. please contact [sms] me at 97273977 if you're interested or you know someone who is. thanks! =)

hi all..

im buying my first SLR cam soon and its a second hand EOS 300D. since this is my first slr, what should i look out for to make sure im getting a good deal..?

really appreciate it!
eugene

PS: im selling a brand new hp photosmart printer 8450 at $230. its unopened and price is negotiable.. please contact [sms] me at 97273977 if you're interested or you know someone who is. thanks! =)

shutter count... depends on how old/ how much used the camera is. but i think u can only check shutter count with canon service centre.

make sure you test it out fully. i.e. bring a memory card, batteries (if they are not supplied) and shoot off a few shots. check on the LCD.

i would also go through and check all the function buttons, make sure they are working ok.

finally, can also do a dust check, just to make sure sensor is reasonably clean. focus on a blue patch of sky, at high aperture and take a shot.

why not get a first hand 350D?

Btw...the selling of printer u can post in the Buy and Sell section..

yeah. 300D obselete already. Get the 350D!

westwest1 said:
why not get a first hand 350D?

Btw...the selling of printer u can post in the Buy and Sell section..

No too sure he/she can post at B&S with the current count :dunno:

If can wait after mid Sept it would be good as new DSLR is coming.

YMMV

with_brokenwings said:
hi all..

really appreciate it!
eugene

Hihi.. a newbie here, how much are you buying the 300D?? i dont know what's it reasonable price range, but think it's pretty not worth it to buy 300D, why not get the D50, D70s or 350D which i'm using it now. THink most of the ppl here would recommend you to think about it more clearly.. Wanted to get a second hand in the first place too, but thinking back, if it's a first dSLR for yourself, why not get a new one, at least you know everything about it is new..

can check the EXIF details for the shutter count?

shutter count is important cos shutter do have a lifespan....

it ranges differently for different cameras. but generally a high shutter count means the possibility or the duration when the shutter dies is higher/nearer right?

go for 350D lah.... or better, the 20D or 30D :p

i tried the 350D, still like 20D or 30D better.... though i wont change from my D70s for them :p

yea.. ive got suggestions to buy a 350D but im a student on a really tight budget and 350Ds are selling at 1200 to 1400.. don't think i wanna spend so much la.. =(

Not necessary have to buy new ones. There are lots of 350D and D70/s in the B&S selling for btw $800 to $1,200. Some are used as backups and in very good condition. Much as possible, try to save up more before committing on a system.

It doesnt end after you got your DSLR. There are still many things that you'd require to get (e.g. dry cabinet, flash, tripod, etc.).

i would like to suggest 350D and D70s at least...

no point getting anything older... i would definitely save up more rather than getting a 300D... it is like getting a D100 lor... i will be damn damn sad hehehe

you are making me wonder if i should really let go my whole set...

well, im sure he would have considered the 350D, new or 2nd hand, if it was in his budget. but if someone is on a budget, and a 300D is withink that budget, then i dont think there is much point urging them to spend more.

the 300D will still take excellent pictures.

I know you're a newbie, but pls post yr question once. You created duplicate threads both here (in Consumer's Corner) and in Newbie's Corner. That's spamming and FYI against the TOS. :nono:

If you're a responsible user, you'll PM a Admin/Mod and ask them to combine the duplicate threads.

I know you're trying to increase visibility, but this is not the way to do it.

For the benefit of those who are wondering where the duplication is:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=209991

No wonder i saw 2 copies... :dunno:

hee hee, i think he knows wat to do :p

hey hey, got ur cam already?

as some suggested, i think saving up for something a bit newer is more recommended. get a old one lor. if u are looking at nikon, then i think soon there will be tons of D70/D70s on BnS joining the already many there now.... I think u can get it at maybe 800-950 for body and maybe about 350 for the kit lens if u want it. the kit lens is good, and if u are for general shooting, IMHO u would be happy with it for a some time.

else, save up for a 350D lor... actually months ago, b4 i got my D70s, I was comtemplating on getting the 300D or 350D also. but after much thought and thinking, decide to save for something newer. got mine D70s 2nd hand also from BnS. actually all my gear are from BnS.

I also like u, student, dont want, and cannot spend too much. but slowly save, build up the gear, and most importantly build up the skill which will be with u which ever body u use...

anyway, its all my opinion lah... of cos if u really think about it and ok to go for a 300D, then MTL! go for it!

i remember when i bought my D70s, my fren told me "eh, dont regret leh, DSLR photography going to be exp. and u must really want wat u buy. dont buy liao, dont like then throw 1 side."

i never did regret :p dreaming of upgrading... but then again my fren would tell me "DREAM ON!" haa haa haa

good luck on camera buying! :thumbsup:

I personally feel that whether its the 300D, 350D or D70S, in the end it still boils down to how much effort and time the man behind the camera put in to practise photography.. I am still very newbie to photography so I know that even if u give me a D200, D2X or 1Ds Mark II, I still cant take better pictures than nw.. Thats y I am happy with my current camera.. Juz want to shoot more and learn.. I have been to some of my company events and on more than 1 occasion, the photographer(Different photographers) was using 300D, but their results are much better than some photos I see from ppl with higher end cams like D200 or 30D.. There are quite a number of experts here in CS who uses 300D too.. Of coz higher end cameras with better lens in the hand of experts will churn out even better results.. But for ppl who is passionate about photography, wants to start their journey into photography but is on tight budget.. The cam which fits best into their budget will be the best choice.. I don't foresee that the thread-starter will get better pics if he get a 350D/D70S instead of 300D.. The only thing that will happen is he will be stressed coz he has surpassed his budget and his finance will be very low. A fellow CSer I met, told me the strategy is to enjoy photography at the lowest cost possible..:) Anyway get whatever camera u have in mind and enjoy shooting. Whether u want to enjoy shooting knowing u still have money left to put in ur pockets or u want to eat grass for a few months, is up to u.. There's no wrong choice..

i agree too....

so as i said, u must not regret wat u buy... buy it, love it, stick with it :p

then train ur skill with it. i got a D70s, that is mid way i guess so i feel i wont really feel the need to upgrade anytime soon.

Always plan as far ahead as you can. I ornignaly wanted to get a seocnd hand 20D as it suited my needs more but seeing as I had a good deal on a 350D i went ahead with that since its almost the same as a 20D. I find that the diff between the 300D and 350D is quite great since i have used both cams before and the prince difference was in favour of the 350D. Knowing me I will problably buy a 30D when the price drops in about 1 years time or when i can acutally get a good side income fomr my photography...

Status
Not open for further replies.