HELP! What to feed a baby bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccon

Mar 9, 2004
I found a baby bird fallen off the nest but cant locate its nest. What can I feed the bird in the meantime. Will Jurong bird park or anyone care for the bird?

put dry tower - warmth

does it chirp chirp?

if it does, go back to where you found it... sit far away, careful with cats

and see got parent birds fly around or not...

feeding wise, i really not sure... earthworms?

Ya, chirp chirp alot. I am go back to try to locate the nest carefully.

Hi,

Had a similar situation about 2 years ago.

Go to any large pet store (if not, go to Serangoon North Ave 1 bird shops around Blk 152) and they would have the following:

Kaytee Exact Hand-Feed Formula

The website for this product can be found here.
Please follow the mixing instructions precisely as documented here.
There is a video that shows you how to feed a baby bird properly, found here.

Your biggest problem is NOT the food itself, but the investment of time & care (and $$$ as the above cost $20 per bag).

If you suspect the nestling is less then a week old, there is a 70% chance it will die no matter how well you handle it. Are you prepared for this?

If yes, you will have to be the caregiver for the next 2 weeks for at least 12 hours a day. Are you prepared for this?

If yes, PLEASE READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY. Nestlings require very special feeding techniques and you need to monitor it's crop (droppings) to ensure the food is getting into it's body correctly. The best way is to measure it's weight, but you need to get a gram scale to do so.

If you don't think you can commit, pls send it to SPCA to put it out of it's misery.

Otherwise, good luck and keep trying till it's about 2 weeks old.

Niccon said:
Just soak bread with water. Here is the pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61068793@N00/

This is a easy bird and still in its early 2 weeks of life. If you don't mind I can go pickup the bird and take care of it but with its wing is ready and fully develop I will have to let it go. :)

I have taken care of this type of bird for many years.

Cheers

longkangman said:
This is a easy bird and still in its early 2 weeks of life. If you don't mind I can go pickup the bird and take care of it but with its wing is ready and fully develop I will have to let it go. :)

Cheers

Wow... many thanks. Will be glad to pass to you caring. I really dont have the time. If need $ for bird food, I can provide, just hope it will live to fly on its own. PM you my hp. I can take leave tomorrow to pass to u or take cab to your place now.

Longkangman, That is extremely kind-hearted and awesome of you to do that for the bird. It's heart-warming to see simple acts of kindness still exist here. :thumbsup:

By the way, it respond to whistle for feeding. Just found after many try to feed the bird. Only when I whistle then it out its mouth big for food. Doing well but seem tired after long hour of chirping.

Went back to the carpark stairway corner again, just cant find any nest or hear any other baby bird chirping. After 10min searching up & down and nearby, I give up.

Feinwerkbau said:
Longkangman, That is extremely kind-hearted and awesome of you to do that for the bird. It's heart-warming to see simple acts of kindness still exist here. :thumbsup:

Yes, I agreed. :thumbsup: Just pass the baby bird to him & back home. Too bad I didnt spend much time thanking him.

Oh forgot to thank all for the concern here and in another pet forum.

longkangman said:

Cheers
:thumbsup: .

Regards,
Arto.

Bravo !!! Longkangman you are so kind to take care of this bird.

:cool: good job....hehe if i was earlier i may had asked for the baby too ;)
give me existing parrot a baby :heart:

very nice of you Longkangman :thumbsup:

And they say Singaporeans are a unsympathetic selfish lot! Look at the overwhelming outpouring of concern for a poor little bird...Ah...it warms the cockles of my heart... Hehehe:heart: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Do keep us updated on the little birdie's progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.