help...what should i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusin79

Jul 23, 2005
hi everyone thanks for reading my thread and hope that you guys can give me some advice.

(Question 1.)
I am currently using Canon 300D with kit lens with updated firmware (10D) and was thinking whether should i change to Canon 40D cause a few of my friends say is too old and outdated?

I was actually thinking thinking of changing lens at first to either:

item 1.) Canon efs 17-85 lens (kit lens for 40D)
item 2.) Canon ef 28-135 lens

(Question 2.)
which one is actually a better lens to walkaround if i decided to stay on 300D?
or should i just change to 40D camera plus kit lens (item 1)?

(Question 3.)
Will there be a great difference when i change to 40D?

lastly,

(Question 4.)
do you think is better to invest in lens or body?

cause this question have always been in my mind as i have seen people using a entry level camera with great lens and obtained very good photos as compare with mid to high level camera.

thanks for reading again. :)
have a great day ahead!

hi yusin79,
wow so many questions! :)
ok let's go:

Question 1)
Canon 40D is targeted at the serious amateur photographer as opposed to the entry-level one (300D/350D, etc), so it has more features in a larger body.
Combined with the fact that it is a much newer model, you get things like a larger LCD screen, live-view (i think), a higher megapixel count, and probably better high-ISO noise control.
You have to ask yourself if you wanna spend that amount of money on a new body and lens. It all depends on your budget.

Question 2)
a 17-85 lens would be much more useable on a 1.6x cropped-sensor body. That gives you the wide angle view you need, plus enough zoom to even take portraits.

Question 3)
The greatest difference if you switch to 40D will be to your wallet/bank account!! hahaha.
Seriously, if you can afford it and are really interested in photography, succumb to the BBB virus and get it!

Question 4)
Lenses last a long time if you take good care of them.
Camera bodies usually get out-dated pretty quickly, with the pace that new models keep getting launched.
You should only upgrade your camera body if you can afford it, and only if you find the old body limiting your photography in some way.
Lenses are a much better buy, but beware not to keep buying!

have fun!

hi everyone thanks for reading my thread and hope that you guys can give me some advice.

(Question 1.)
I am currently using Canon 300D with kit lens with updated firmware (10D) and was thinking whether should i change to Canon 40D cause a few of my friends say is too old and outdated?

Don't buy a new camera just because your friends say it's "too old and outdated". That's just a stupid excuse.

I've got a friend who's still using his 300D to take wonderful wedding pictures for his clients/friends.

If it still suits your needs, then keep it. If it's for some reason limiting your progression in photography, then by all means get a new camera.

Don't buy a new camera just because your friends say it's "too old and outdated". That's just a stupid excuse.

I've got a friend who's still using his 300D to take wonderful wedding pictures for his clients/friends.

If it still suits your needs, then keep it. If it's for some reason limiting your progression in photography, then by all means get a new camera.

i second this statement that has been made

#1 your friend is right 300d is abit outdated , but to me is more than enuff to shoot , coz i have seen some really amazing photo shot by 300d so if u cant get those photo most properly u have not push the 300d to the limit yet :)

#2 for walk ard lend just my 2cent worth i prefer 24-70 / 24-105 .

#3 yes invest in lens are better choice , coz as many bro said , new dslr body come out ard every 18month or so , but lens will last u many many year to come and it also improve the IQ of the photo if u get the right lens ofcoz :bsmilie:

goodluck & happy shooting dun think too much on new cam body unless u think that your 300d cant fullfill wat u wan , than by all mean upgrade it ;)

Bro, my comments in blue.

(Question 1.)

I was actually thinking thinking of changing lens at first to either:

item 1.) Canon efs 17-85 lens (kit lens for 40D)
item 2.) Canon ef 28-135 lens

My question is: do you think by changing your camera body, it will help you to take better pictures because it is more 'updated'? Cameras are just devices to take pictures. Whether it can take good pictures depends on the man behind it who know how to make use of it, not because it is a more 'updated' camera.

(Question 2.)

which one is actually a better lens to walkaround if i decided to stay on 300D?
or should i just change to 40D camera plus kit lens (item 1)?

There is no better lens. It depends on how you use it and shooting in what situation.

(Question 3.)
Will there be a great difference when i change to 40D?

Not much, since the user interface in Canon is much the same. There will be additional features which you may not be using.

lastly,

(Question 4.)
do you think is better to invest in lens or body?

cause this question have always been in my mind as i have seen people using a entry level camera with great lens and obtained very good photos as compare with mid to high level camera.

Again, it depends on your shooting needs. There is no 'better' or 'worse' to invest in lens or body. What I can say again is: it depends on the man behind the camera.

thanks for reading again. :)
have a great day ahead!

Just like buying handphone, you get one that best suits your need. Why spend more $$$ for features you will never use or unlikely to use. Even if you use it eventually, a more updated version of the feature would be available making the current one obsolete anyway. So upgrade only when it prevents your advance in photography.

I think invest in lens is probably better because each lens allows you to take certain type of photos better where as all body can do the same thing without much limitation.

And like a lot of CSer say: it is the limitation behind the viewfinder that affect the photo quality.;) I should know, I upgraded from a P&S to Canon EOS and the photos still looks the same :embrass::cry: :dunno:

like many of the CSers have said, there's NO NEED for a upgrade.
there's not reali much differences between the two cameras (unless you are aiming 40D for its improved features).
and i believe a few years down the road, you will be thinking of getting your hands on a full frame camera.
so, i suggest that you stay with your 300D, and buy a new lens if you wish (of cos, the ultimate decision still lies with you).

I will take the 28-135

after all, it's people taking good photos, not the camera.

(Question 1.)
so if your friends say that you should grow a new tail, you'll find new means and ways to do it? :bsmilie:

so if your friends say that you should grow a new tail, you'll find new means and ways to do it? :bsmilie:

Not bad liao, my friends say my wife is not pretty enough, but i cannot afford a new wife.

Anyway, to TS, it depends on whether you have the money to spend. I don't so I am stuck with my 2nd hand D70; the only upgrades I got was a flash and the tamron 17-50 f2.8 as i think that lens suits my kind of shooting and more importantly, within my budget.

Why must upgrade?

ADD another body...anyway that's what i've done.

A colleague of mine upgraded to the 40D from 350D and kept asking me when i'm going to upgrade.
Told him i'm not going to upgrade but i'll add another as it'll be more convenient not having to change from one lens to another when you have a couple of lenses and easier to cover all the angles when you're on location.

peer pressure lol
only upgrade the camera body when the model said " why your LCD so small" :bsmilie:

peer pressure lol
only upgrade the camera body when the model said " why your LCD so small" :bsmilie:

so if u comment model eyes small or boobs too small, she go upgrade too?
:bsmilie:

:bsmilie::bsmilie: thats a good one, certaintly brightens up this dull and raining sunday.. Ah why almost eveyday rain wana go out and shoot :cry:

so if u comment model eyes small or boobs too small, she go upgrade too?
:bsmilie:

actually, i think what will happen is that she will remember that she will have a lot of friends with the attributes that you want,

and start organising model shoots for you.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

jokes aside - how do you think the 40d versus 300d is going to give you better photos? do you think you are shooting well now? if yes, why upgrade? what is missing in your 300d that you can find in the 40d that will be useful? if no, why are you getting a more complicated tool when you have not mastered current? just because of friends?

of course all these don't matter if the answer to the question is "do you want to spend money just to feel good?" is "yes".. that's your choice after all, and no one is going to fault you directly for that.. though everyone's more than welcome to pass judgement.. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie::bsmilie: thats a good one, certaintly brightens up this dull and raining sunday.. Ah why almost eveyday rain wana go out and shoot :cry:

was out today shooting in the rain..;p

anyway, unless your 300D is not serving you to yr needs alr..then FF should be not logical step IMO..

peer pressure is everywhere and it is expensive..:D

(Question 1.)

Your friends sounds like camera salesmen, hehe:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:.

haha thanks everyone, really help alot in my decision making :) I think i will stick with my 300D camera as it have been serving me well. :) I will get a good lens instead.

anyone care to share with me what is a good walkaround lens for landscape and pictaking duing holiday? :)

been reading alot lately on lens as i want to get a good lens (so that i dont have to keep changing lens during holiday)

which one would you guys recommend? dont want to heavy but give good pics and value for money and can last me for a long time :)

1.) Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
2.) Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
3.) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
4.) Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM

Status
Not open for further replies.