Help : What should I buy after I've gotten my FZ-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

cRaShFiRe

May 21, 2006
Hi all,

I've just gotten my FZ50 with a 1GB SD card, a camera bag, a tripod and a cleaning kit.

What accessories should I get next, other than add-on lenses?

I'm planning to get a lens protector and a dry box, what other recommendations did fellow FZ50 or other Panasonic owners get when they got their cameras?

Thanks

First of all, you should have a UV filter as Lens protector.
The Len is exchangeable, that means if the Lens scratches, whole camera gone.

Except exchangeable Lens, you could upgrade almost every thing that DSLR do.
Depend on what you want to shoot;
Birding : Teleconverter and RDS ( if possible)
Scenario/ architecture: Wide angle converter, CPL filter.
Event shooting; Olympus FL50 flash gun.
Macro : Raynox DCR250

I didn't have drybox. This camera travel with me everyday in car and in office.

It is a fantastic camera, I think you will need some time to explore the fullness power of this gear.
Cheer.

I'll not invest much in this camera. If it's noise control, AF speed, metering and white balance can be near DSLR standard. I'll say buy all accessories needed for this camera...

I'll not invest much in this camera. If it's noise control, AF speed, metering and white balance can be near DSLR standard. I'll say buy all accessories needed for this camera...
you be surprised that the AF speed and metering is able to match most dSLR other than comparing with Nikon SWM or Canon USM lens. in fact i think my fz5 focus faster than my d50 with AF-D lens, unless you talking about low light.

The standard wide angle conversion lenses I suppose, since personally 420mm is more than enough reach (you can always go for Olympus TCON 17 to go over 600 mm if you need that) . Flash is another item needed especially if you do people and event photography, in which case the Olympus FL36 (Or FL50 if cash is plenty) are good since they offer full TTL control with the camera:)

Based on what that you make your this above statement "I'll not invest much in this camera. If it's noise control, AF speed, metering and white balance can be near DSLR standard."?:bigeyes:

Can you pls elaborate??:bigeyes:
(pls keep this thread clean)Thanks.

Cos if correctly used, your "feel" of the AF speed,etc, will basically be similar if not exactly same as below stated.

you be surprised that the AF speed and metering is able to match most dSLR other than comparing with Nikon SWM or Canon USM lens. in fact i think my fz5 focus faster than my d50 with AF-D lens, unless you talking about low light.

:thumbsup: that's exactly how I get/realised the surprised "Feel" of the AF speed-rather fast/close to dslr(normal-lens) in many circumstances. WB also accurate if metering is selected appropriately. As for low-light, it's still faster than my previous Canon-S2IS, coolpixE5000 & (TZ1 still current & latest/newest add-on pns cam).

IMHO, this camera worth to invest more accessories.
It has DSLR performance but with compact price.

currently,
In my list I got: Olympus Tcon1.7X, RDS, B+W CPL, B+W ND2

Going to have,
Wide or fisheye converter, FL50/36 flash gun, Raynox DCR250 and a lewepro Sling 200AW.

IMHO, this camera worth to invest more accessories.
It has DSLR performance but with compact price.

currently,
In my list I got: Olympus Tcon1.7X, RDS, B+W CPL, B+W ND2

Going to have,
Wide or fisheye converter, FL50/36 flash gun, Raynox DCR250 and a lewepro Sling 200AW.

;) yes, indeed & worth it:thumbsup: :cool:

hum...no doubt this is a good cam...my fren keep offer me good price on the DSLR but i still dun wan to let go my FZ50.....it just compact and nice to carry around.

as lohshp said:
first get a UV filter to protect ur Leica lens....:)
Birding : Teleconverter and RDS ( if possible) - Oly TCON 17
Scenario/ architecture: Wide angle converter, CPL filter. - not sure :dunno: Raynox maybe
Event shooting; Olympus FL50 flash gun but if u just wan a smaller size flash olympus FL36
Macro : Raynox DCR250 + DCR150

dun forget to get a nice bag for u expensive equipment.

my current is oly FL36 (think wan upgrade to FZ50), Raynox DCR250, CPL, UV, Mini trekker, and dun forget get a data bank to backup ur photo. ;)

hum...no doubt this is a good cam...my fren keep offer me good price on the DSLR but i still dun wan to let go my FZ50.....it just compact and nice to carry around.

as lohshp said:
first get a UV filter to protect ur Leica lens....:)
Birding : Teleconverter and RDS ( if possible) - Oly TCON 17
Scenario/ architecture: Wide angle converter, CPL filter. - not sure :dunno: Raynox maybe
Event shooting; Olympus FL50 flash gun but if u just wan a smaller size flash olympus FL36
Macro : Raynox DCR250 + DCR150

dun forget to get a nice bag for u expensive equipment.

my current is oly FL36 (think wan upgrade to FZ50), Raynox DCR250, CPL, UV, Mini trekker, and dun forget get a data bank to backup ur photo. ;)
mini trekker :bigeyes:, ain't that a little too big for all the stuffs above? :sweat:

Exactly... Low light... That's why I'm using D80 now. Full control over white balance (can create different lighting exposure without addditional lightings), good flash system, Big VF, Fast start up and focus. Dream cameras are D2Xs and 1Ds Mark II.

buy a flash gun, increase yr memory to abt 2gb and u are reraly to shoot

Exactly... Low light... That's why I'm using D80 now. Full control over white balance (can create different lighting exposure without addditional lightings), good flash system, Big VF, Fast start up and focus. Dream cameras are D2Xs and 1Ds Mark II.
WB? i don see how fz50 can't do it with raw or custom WB... lighting everything is the same as well.. its either there or not there, doesn't matter which or what camera.
the others i kind of agree, but its not apple to apple comparison... unless you telling me d80 + 35-420mm f2.8-3.7 + VR = $900+.
a good nikon flash (SB800) is already >60% the cost of a fz50.

Hey, does this FL50 and FL36 Olympus flash gun is compatible with the FZ30/FZ50? Where to get it? And how about the price?

The FL50 and FL36 are compatible with the FZ50. (confirmed the pin configurations too) and oly and pana are actually selling the same flash the pana's model number is fl3600 and fl5000 :D so ttl will work with fz50. problem is the fl36 is going for $380 and the FL50 is going for $600+ so it's a lot of moolah for the flash (FL50 is 2/3 price of fz50!) pricing ois for oly models. heard pana's are much more ex. so am currently looking for alternative brands and maybe hopefully someone here can do an MO?

The FL50 and FL36 are compatible with the FZ50. (confirmed the pin configurations too) and oly and pana are actually selling the same flash the pana's model number is fl3600 and fl5000 :D so ttl will work with fz50. problem is the fl36 is going for $380 and the FL50 is going for $600+ so it's a lot of moolah for the flash (FL50 is 2/3 price of fz50!) pricing ois for oly models. heard pana's are much more ex. so am currently looking for alternative brands and maybe hopefully someone here can do an MO?

Try looking for FL-36s in B&S section of this forum, they pop up from time to time at reasonable prices (Around 250-280 depending on condition of unit) :) And yes TTL flash metering works with the FL-36/50 and is pretty accurate with the exposure too

WB? i don see how fz50 can't do it with raw or custom WB... lighting everything is the same as well.. its either there or not there, doesn't matter which or what camera.
the others i kind of agree, but its not apple to apple comparison... unless you telling me d80 + 35-420mm f2.8-3.7 + VR = $900+.
a good nikon flash (SB800) is already >60% the cost of a fz50.

I do agree the FZ series is good as compre to the non-DSLR. But cannot really compare FZ-50 to DSLR.
1. 35-420 is achieve via the cropping factor. The real telephoto might be just 150mm.
2. ISO 200 would look like those ISO1600 on a DSLR.

I do agree the FZ series is good as compre to the non-DSLR. But cannot really compare FZ-50 to DSLR.
1. 35-420 is achieve via the cropping factor. The real telephoto might be just 150mm.:hammer:
2. ISO 200 would look like those ISO1600 on a DSLR.
:kok:

And who told ya that? :dunno:
Ya lor y another 1.

Yar, who told you that? :eek:
Ya lor y another 1 also.

They base on what? Reviews only(or hear-say only):bsmilie: , please lah. Please go see actual photos 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.