Help, what Olympus 40-150mm lens to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

juno0923

Jan 15, 2008
hi, just a newbie here with dslrs.
i recently acquired an oly system with 14-45mm kitlens.

i am about to get the standard mid-telephoto which is the zuiko 40-150mm lens, but i was surprised to see that there are two variants of this lens.

one is the 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 and the other is f4-5.6

the f3.5 is an older, and longer in size, and is already out of production.
while the f4 is a compact size and with ED lens.

could you guys help me out which one is a better lens?

coz if i base on the apertures of both lenses, the older lens seems to be a faster lens. but i just thought, zuiko would not be releasing a newer model for nothing isnt it?

any feedbacks from actual users of these lenses would be highly appreciated. like anybody else, i would like to have a good lens that is fast and sharp.

thanks!

Hello,

That depends on what you really need. From what I read, the old one is SLIGHTLY sharper. You might not be able to even really tell the difference. If you really need the f/3.5-4.5, get the older one. If you can compromise, get the new 40-150mm. It's lighter and smaller. AND, it's smaller than your 14-45mm lens. Haha!

You might wanna read this.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/4015_tst.html

hi dorts, thank you very much for the fast response. the link you have provided is pretty much a big help.

hi dorts, thank you very much for the fast response. the link you have provided is pretty much a big help.

No problem, pleasure to help. Any questions relating to the Four Thirds system should be asked in the Four Thirds forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.