Help, what is router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airforce1

Aug 18, 2003
I bought a back up system for my hard disk but purchased a wrong system. It is My book world edition III. It is NAS sytem not the USB type where you can connect directly and start to back up. I have to connect the ethernet cable directly into a router or network switch port.

My home computer is connected to broadband asdl and station at my kitchen. How to make it work and get connected. I know nothing about computer router.

Thanks for your advice.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=340

Question.

1 What is a router? What brand to buy?
2 If I buy a router what else I need in order to make it work?

I bought a back up system for my hard disk but purchased a wrong system. It is My book world edition III. It is NAS sytem not the USB type where you can connect directly and start to back up. I have to connect the ethernet cable directly into a router or network switch port.

My home computer is connected to broadband asdl and station at my kitchen. How to make it work and get connected. I know nothing about computer router.

Thanks for your advice.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=340

Question.

1 What is a router? What brand to buy?
2 If I buy a router what else I need in order to make it work?

I'd suggest you to go back to the store to exchange it for an USB version. Otherwise, you might want to get a router to create a network in your home. With the router, should you have more than one computer at home, they can share the same internet connection.

NAS device are very useful...keep it...the GUI should be web based IIRC...

NAS (Network Attached Storage)~ If you wan portable storage that can bring along with u, then u have purchase e wrong one.

NAS is like a storage server itself. You can connect it to a router or switch then any other computer in your network can access to it. Better features is that you can setup as a FTP server and access outside through internet.

I'd suggest you to go back to the store to exchange it for an USB version. Otherwise, you might want to get a router to create a network in your home. With the router, should you have more than one computer at home, they can share the same internet connection.

Bought at sim lim square. I will try to exchange but need more info incase cannot return the product. And need to know what is the best options.

NAS (Network Attached Storage)~ If you wan portable storage that can bring along with u, then u have purchase e wrong one.

NAS is like a storage server itself. You can connect it to a router or switch then any other computer in your network can access to it. Better features is that you can setup as a FTP server and access outside through internet.

Ok If I buy the router can it work. I have only asdl broadband at home. Don't have whatever network only one computer connected to asdl broadband.

Yes, getting a router will share e internet access. Your pc and NAS will connect to the router. Router to the broadband modem.

There are a few brands out there that are pretty common in the shops like Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, etc. Just be sure to configure the security settings if you're getting one that also supports wireless. Best if you could change your NAS to a portable USB storage device, would save you all the trouble. :)

Bought at sim lim square. I will try to exchange but need more info incase cannot return the product. And need to know what is the best options.

check the exchange warranty...see what they say

Ok If I buy the router can it work. I have only asdl broadband at home. Don't have whatever network only one computer connected to asdl broadband.

it will confirm work...

There are a few brands out there that are pretty common in the shops like Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, etc. Just be sure to configure the security settings if you're getting one that also supports wireless. Best if you could change your NAS to a portable USB storage device, would save you all the trouble. :)

Seriously speaking, i also agreed with him. Buying router is one thing, setting up is another thing. Although nowadays router is quite idiot proof, still i feel that getting a portable HDD is easier. I can just carry it around anywhere i like~

If I remember correctly, you will need to install the software that comes with My Book World Edition III into the computer that you wish to access the drive remotely and limited to 5 computers.

In addition, if you decided to get the router, make sure your ADSL broadband modem output is a network port (RJ45 jack) not USB. Not sure whether there are USB input connection for router but in general it accept only network connection as input (usually labelled as WAN or ADSL).

You might want to advise me what is the make and model of your ADSL broadband modem.

NOTE: RJ45 look similar to your normal phone jack, but instead of 4 copper pin it has 8 copper pins.

Thank you. All of you were very helpful and will take note of the advise. Now I have to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.