HELP! Water mark inside B+W CPL Filter

KhimKim84

Nov 28, 2011
Hi all,

I was shooting with my cpl filter on my lens and rain suddenly come down. Water seep in between the glass and now the cpl filter has water mark inside after it become dry. I tried to use some micro fabric and lens pen to clean but cannot remove. Any idea how to remove these water marks? A lot of them, some small some big.

Any people has water mark inside before? It look like its at the back of the front rotating lens. Thanks.

Hi all,

I was shooting with my cpl filter on my lens and rain suddenly come down. Water seep in between the glass and now the cpl filter has water mark inside after it become dry. I tried to use some micro fabric and lens pen to clean but cannot remove. Any idea how to remove these water marks? A lot of them, some small some big.

Any people has water mark inside before? It look like its at the back of the front rotating lens. Thanks.

Are there really 2 pieces of glass in a CPL?

Just continue using the filter, the water mark do not affect image quality too much. If you are so bothered by it, you can buy a new CPL.

Put inside the dry cupboard in a tub of rice with a thirsty hippo inside. Hopefully the water will be 'sucked' out. :sweatsm: :thumbsup:

Put inside the dry cupboard in a tub of rice with a thirsty hippo inside. Hopefully the water will be 'sucked' out. :sweatsm: :thumbsup:

eh bonnie, TS say water dry liao.. it is the water marks.

Use a lens wench to take off the glass, clean the glass with a piece of anti-static cloth, then resemble the filter back.

daredevil123 said:
eh bonnie, TS say water dry liao.. it is the water marks.

Soak in water before going through treatment again? Hehe ok la paiseh read wrong. :embrass:

Use a lens wench to take off the glass, clean the glass with a piece of anti-static cloth, then resemble the filter back.

B+W CPL is two pieces of glass is it?

Hi Daredevil, just tried shooting with the CPL, cannot see any water mark in the photo I took. I am too new to differentiate any contrast drop or polarising properties decreasing or affected or not... Mostly use it to cut the reflection from glass window or water surface.

Hi Bonrya, thanks for suggesting, now the CPL is inside dry cabinet, try for few days first. Not sure if the water is dried or not actually. The filter is B+W Kaesamann CPL, suppose to have some protection for moisture entering to the CPL according to B+W website hmmm... Don't know how it get in in the first place, maybe get in easy, get out hard lol.

I not really sure its 2 piece of glass or not either, very new to DSLR. I assume because can turn, so should be 2 piece of glass?

Hi Rhino, lens wench can do? Easy to assemble back?

A "circular polarizer" actually consists of two elements. The first is a linear polarizer, exactly the same thing as the linear polarizer we have just discussed. The second. element is called a quarter wave plate and it is cemented to the back of the linear polarizer with a specific orientation such that the light emerging from the quarter wave plate is circularly polarized (hence the "circular" polarizer name). How it does this is beyond the scope of this article, but take it from me, it does!

All about Polarizers - Linear and Circular

I have had the same cpl before. You might have to use a little more strength on it than usual, with a micro fibre cloth. That's what I do. It will go away.