Help wanted on the F80 !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachang26

Feb 21, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
hi guys! since my last thread, spoke to a few pros and decided to go the Nikon way & be poor for the rest of my life...

choosing between a brand-new F80 or a 2nd-hand F90x:
need to verify a few more things:-

1)for the F80, does it have 'autofocus lock'? (F90x has it..)
2)waht does this thingy do anyway???
3)if the F80 does not have it, any way to achieve the same result??
4)also. any idea where to get 2nd-Hand F90x (the same pro told me it's discontinued by Nikon...)

gam sia zhui zhui..
:p

Originally posted by kachang26

Not sure, but my F60 has it. Just press the shutter release half way to focus, don't leave your finger up, recompose...then press it all the way. More convenient than using seperate button to lock focus.

Lock focus.

Should have...if not, use manual focus.

4)also. any idea where to get 2nd-Hand F90x (the same pro told me it's discontinued by Nikon...)
F90x, you might want to search Classads, I remember seeing an ads selling a complete set at S$1k.

My suggestion is get a new F80D, rather than worrying of buying a faulty F90X, unless it is sold by a friend you trust.

hi guys! since my last thread, spoke to a few pros and decided to go the Nikon way & be poor for the rest of my life...

choosing between a brand-new F80 or a 2nd-hand F90x:
need to verify a few more things:-

gam sia zhui zhui..
:p

Yes the F80D has 'Autofocus lock' (AF Lock) and it is used to lock the lens focus so you can recompose a shot without loosing the focus.

I'd seriously consider the F80 over a used F90x.

woops. looks the the F90x is fast dropping out of favour. ;)
Nevertheless. it is still a good workhorse.

the last time I ask TCM it was $650 for a new one..

I think the autofocus lock is the one just below the lens near the bottom of the camera, it is used to lock focus when using continous focus mode.....

I would recommend the f80 over the f90x also.

Originally posted by extreme2
Someone Selling a real Mint, Like new condition Nikon F80 (Black) with Battery Pack MB-16. for $700.00

@ Singnet Classifieds.

You might want to check it out.

http://classifieds.singnet.com.sg/details.cfm?id=51

If the camera is more than a year old, I would recommend buy a new one. New F80D in JB is selling at RM1450 or less, Singapore should be same or cheaper. Battery pack is around S$105 quoted by CP. Why risk by saving only S$100+?

Originally posted by Kho King

If the camera is more than a year old, I would recommend buy a new one. New F80D in JB is selling at RM1450 or less, Singapore should be same or cheaper. Battery pack is around S$105 quoted by CP. Why risk by saving only S$100+?

It was just a suggestion. It's up to your own judgement. :bwhat:

If U have any friends going to HongKong, ask them to get F80 for U! The price there R even more cheap!!! 20 - 30 % cheaper! :D

thanks 4 all for the suggestions...
now just got to psyche myself to spend $$$ for
1)a new F80 2) the 60mm f2.8 3) the 105mm all together..
ouch! ouch! ouch! :what:

err... paiseh paiseh :rolleyes: :embrass:

but can someone tell me if there's any difference in the autofocus lock of teh F90x and teh F80?
from what i understands, the F80's lock is limited and is overall inferior to the F90x's ie lousier picture composition....

but will this actually affect teh sharpness of teh picture taken???
thanks!
:D

err... paiseh paiseh :rolleyes: :embrass:

but can someone tell me if there's any difference in the autofocus lock of teh F90x and teh F80?
from what i understands, the F80's lock is limited and is overall inferior to the F90x's ie lousier picture composition....

but will this actually affect teh sharpness of teh picture taken???
thanks!
:D

Err... picture composition is depends on the photographer, nothing to do with equipments.

Sharpness of the picture will be affected by many factors, but the most important factor is the kind of len used! Quality len definitely offers better sharpness.

My 2 cents worth of inputs. ;)

i noe i noe ...
it's the person behind the cam and not the camera that matters at the end of the day :D

but u see .... I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!:D

but thanks for the advice anyway; have saved up for are supposed to be good sharp lens ie the 60m and the 105mm:gbounce:

Hi,
F80 do have AF/AE lock button. and u can configure it via the CSM. I believe what F80 do not have vs F100/F5/F90? is the AF ON button, to me, the AF-ON button this button is redundant. As for the AF/AE Lock button, i found it is useful if u configure it to AE lock only...especially if u using spot metering and trying to catch the lighting effect eg. portrait beside a window....

as for u purchase, try to get the F80S....1.5 years ago i try to find the S model but not available, end up i got the F80D.

Another myth of F80 is it notorious film scratch. And it did happen to me after 1.5 years of using it (about 50-70 rolls), i've check with nikon service center and they told me it's cause by the dirt on the roller and this happen to F90 too (according to their service record), i cleaned my own and so far no more scratch....hopefully it will happen again.

The only function i missed is the mid-roll film leader-out feature. Do not understand why Nikon do not incorporate this into F80....

Originally posted by spider
....hopefully it will happen again.

Why would you want it to happen again?:eek: Haha...this a big typo...;p

Originally posted by spider
Hi,
Another myth of F80 is it notorious film scratch. And it did happen to me after 1.5 years of using it (about 50-70 rolls), i've check with nikon service center and they told me it's cause by the dirt on the roller and this happen to F90 too (according to their service record), i cleaned my own and so far no more scratch....hopefully it will happen again.

The only function i missed is the mid-roll film leader-out feature. Do not understand why Nikon do not incorporate this into F80....

Err..about the myth, do you mean the whole of F80 series, in other words inclusive of F80S?
:what:

Originally posted by scanner

Err..about the myth, do you mean the whole of F80 series, in other words inclusive of F80S?
:what:

There are 3 variation in F80 model:

1. F80 (no date)
2. F80D (date only, print in frame)
3. F80S (date, exposure data. Print between frames)

Originally posted by Kho King

There are 3 variation in F80 model:

1. F80 (no date)
2. F80D (date only, print in frame)
3. F80S (date, exposure data. Print between frames)

Thanks, I'm aware of that. ;)
But what I'm concern is, whether F80S suffers the same fate!
I've just bought the F80S, hopefully it does not. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.