Help Wanted on Choice of Lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kachang26

Feb 21, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
have gone to the usual websites, read all I can and all i got was a spillting headache! Now, I just want consumer advice based on experiences - here's my problem..

i want to start on photography (SLR) & after alot alot of research , decided to limit myself to a Canon EOS 300 or a Nikon F80 .. what will decide for me (bearing in mind that i am choosing a system and not juz a camera) are your comments (quality & price & any other important things to noe)on the following lens:-

1) Sigma macro 50mm F2.8 Ex
2) AF Micro nikkor 60 mm F2.8D
3) AF Micro Nikkor 105 F2.8D
4) AF Sigma 180 mm Macro F5.6UC

as you can see, my interest is limited to small stuff. i noe that teh F80 is superior to the EOS 300 but bear in mind that the Canon lens I am eyeing is the Canoon EF100mm F2.8 Macro (meebee even the USM version if i feel reckless)

would also appreciate if you can recommend a good, sharp lens for travelling/vacation purposes ...the 50/1.8??

THANKS THANKS THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!!!

:bwhat:

Originally posted by kachang26

This is a very good lens. The pic is sharp and contrasty, with the added advantage of able to do 1:1 macro and portraiture at the same time.

i want to start on photography (SLR) & after alot alot of research , decided to limit myself to a Canon EOS 300 or a Nikon F80 .. what will decide for me (bearing in mind that i am choosing a system and not juz a camera) are your comments (quality & price & any other important things to noe)on the following lens:-

Your choice of camera is pretty weird. EOS 300 and F80?!?!?! Are you sure you don't mean EOS 30?

1) Sigma macro 50mm F2.8 Ex
2) AF Micro nikkor 60 mm F2.8D
4) AF Sigma 180 mm Macro F5.6UC

as you can see, my interest is limited to small stuff.

small stuff ? you mean you like to take photos of small things ?

anyway, for the shorter focal lengh, it might be be a very comfortable macro lens as you need to go in very close, and tiny critters will usually run away.

have you considered a zoom ? if your budget permits, for prime lenses go for

1) AF micro nikkor 105 f2.8
2) AF nikkor 50mm f1.8
3) AF nikkor 28mm f2.8

or you can consider a good standard zoom
tokina f2.8 28-70, (or sigma etc)
new this lens goes for about $600-700

using this lens with an extension tube, you can
get pretty good macro shots.

rgs

There are some type of small stuff
- insects
- still objects
- flowers
- fishes
- food

which one you are interested in ?

wow! thanks for all the quick replies!

to ziploc:
any idea on the price of a new AF Micro Nikkor 105 F2.8D ?

to kit:
really! EOS 300 cause it's a good intro. to SLR photography
F80 cause it's a good intro. to SLR photography with room for expansion in skills (this is at least what i understand from reviews..) but the crucial thinig is still the lens for me!

to rueyloon:
is the AF nikkor 50mm f1.8 appropriate for travel/vacation photos?
(i am thinking of limiting myself to getting one good len of travel/vacations e.g shoots of frens against a nice backdrop etc etc)

to megaweb:
small stuff = live critters ranging from size of thumbnail to abt an adult's fist! eg fish

BTW: any idea what's the price for a F80 (body only)?

THANKS THANKS THANKS ALOT!
*bettter print everything out so tt i don't forget....*

to kit:
really! EOS 300 cause it's a good intro. to SLR photography
F80 cause it's a good intro. to SLR photography with room for expansion in skills (this is at least what i understand from reviews..) but the crucial thinig is still the lens for me!

I'm not saying that the EOS 300 is a bad camera. Just wondering why you didn't consider the EOS 30 since you're thinking about the F80. They both are pretty much in the same class.

to megaweb:
small stuff = live critters ranging from size of thumbnail to abt an adult's fist! eg fish

then you must consider the min. distance from the lens to the object is not too near ....

any idea on the price of a new AF Micro Nikkor 105 F2.8D ?

I bought it at $970 GST inclusive at CP a few weeks back.

to megaweb & kit:
thanks for the contributions!

to ziploc:
arrrgghhh...
goota factor in another S$1K for the lens i c..... :cry:

to rueyloon:
is the AF nikkor 50mm f1.8 appropriate for travel/vacation photos?
(i am thinking of limiting myself to getting one good len of travel/vacations e.g shoots of frens against a nice backdrop etc etc)

for travel I think you might need a wide angle to capture in all the things you see, with a 50mm is not wide enough.

image you're err.... at the Tian Am Men Square, that is a large place right ? now close 1 eye, that is roughly what you see with a 50mm, you can't get in everything. 50mm is a good lens, but you'll need to "learn" to use it first, hece if you're going on a trip with an unfamiliar lens, you might get the pictures that you want.

you might want to consider the Nikkor 28-105. I find it good enough for travel and ok for some micro work.

Cost about SGD 600 2 years back.

rueyloon:
hmmm, rueyloon, I see ur point but I am not really into landscape ( me like small critters ) but I need a good travel/vacation lens as I am planning to go US for their 'Foliage Season' where eveything's yellow, red and orange...so at most mebbe a picture of a big tree with my galfren's face somewhere inside...

keito:-
wat's the damage???? :bsmilie:

err f80 without date roughly 680+/-, grip 100+/-

around there lah :)

Originally posted by Bluestrike

Hehehee
You forgot something....
Who must you bring along....???

err trade secret :D

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

What do you expect? S$0.99?:eek:

I think you must come out with around S$2k if you want to get a decent set to start your photography life (this is a long journey...and be sure your bank account is big enough to support...and better if you are single...)

If I have that kind of money, I will get F80D (S$700) + Tokina ATX PRO 28-80mm f2.8 (S$850) + grip (S$110). Later I will add a flash (SB80dx or Metz 54MZ3 at around S$610), Nikkor AFD 105micro f/2.8 (S$980). After that, I will add the Nikkor AFD 80-200mm f/2.8 (N) at S$1600, Nikkor AFD 20mm prime (S$850). Now...time to upgrade to another body...if D200 / D2 is out and D100 / D1 drops much like the D30 now...then I will grab one. Else I will get a F100 (S$2k) or F5 (S$3k). The story will never end if Nikon keep producing something new to the market...time to upgrade to all the AFS and VR lenses? Yeah...

(you can get big saving by hunting in the 2nd hand market...)

Status
Not open for further replies.