Help w wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkavgr

Jul 14, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Just bought a Dlink wireless router to get rid of the long ethernet wire running from my TV in the living room to the study...after incessant complaints from wifey :-(
Unfortunately, I think my apt walls are too thick & the signal is too weak even though distance is only 20ft (7m) max

Anyone got experience in this ? can help ?
Understand can daisy chain these routers and may perhaps solve my weak signal issue.
If so, how to go about doing this ?

thanks

adjust the height of the router for better signal

darkavgr said:
Just bought a Dlink wireless router to get rid of the long ethernet wire running from my TV in the living room to the study...after incessant complaints from wifey :-(
Unfortunately, I think my apt walls are too thick & the signal is too weak even though distance is only 20ft (7m) max

Understand can daisy chain these routers and may perhaps solve my weak signal issue.

thanks

darkavgr said:

thanks

I think routers signal strengh should be strong enough as they can go up to at least 200metres. Signal strengths tends to go down a little but should be no problem. Try calling up DLINK customer service as they are 24/7.

Walls maybe thick but I have a friend who shares a router together with his friend. They are neighbors staying next to each other. HDB walls thinner?

Challanger is selling the DLINK antenna booster for extra signal strength but no guarantee is will help. So try and see. Did you by the 88MBPS package which cost $206? Or the 22MBPS version? I guess you must have just bought it in SITEX?

darkavgr said:

thanks

definitely something is wrong ;p
the attentuation shouldn't be that big leh... try calling up DLink customer service or maybe can put the router in a centralized location in the house? :dunno:

I'm using a Linksys wireless router myself...occasionally also faced with low signal power problems....you'll need to adjust the position of the antenna...id there's any on your Dlink...also...play around with the position of the wireless transmitter....for reasons unknown to me...there's a significant difference between 2 different positions just 15cm apart with regards to signal strength to my PC....I myself also donno y...

I'm using a Linksys wireless router myself...occasionally also faced with low signal power problems....you'll need to adjust the position of the antenna...id there's any on your Dlink...also...play around with the position of the wireless transmitter....for reasons unknown to me...there's a significant difference between 2 different positions just 15cm apart with regards to signal strength to my PC....I myself also donno y...heh..best of luck adjusting...

sorrie to crash in ur thread darkavgr, i also need some help in setting up a wireless network, i'm really not very good my IT stuffs..anyway...i'm using the "speedstream" USB modem that come with the singnet boardband plan...just bought a wireless router by "netgear", following the instruction menu..i just cannot understand how to connect the modem to the router.. i can get the wireless part up to share files and printer but not the internet connection..do i need to purchase a ethernet modem instead?? can anyone advise wat i can do?? this issue has been bugging me for weeks..hehehe~~ upon seeing darkavgr's thread..then only i remember the router that has been collecting dust in the store..hahaha~~

thanks in advance guys~

Pro Image said:
I think routers signal strengh should be strong enough as they can go up to at least 200metres. Signal strengths tends to go down a little but should be no problem. Try calling up DLINK customer service as they are 24/7.

Walls maybe thick but I have a friend who shares a router together with his friend. They are neighbors staying next to each other. HDB walls thinner?

Challanger is selling the DLINK antenna booster for extra signal strength but no guarantee is will help. So try and see. Did you by the 88MBPS package which cost $206? Or the 22MBPS version? I guess you must have just bought it in SITEX?

yeah... bought this at Sitex at $206 (router & PCI catd) plus $68 for additional PCMCIA card.
Has to be in the living room as I'm on SCV & the set-top box & cable modem is there. To configure it I had to move router to about 5m from PC (hence able to get Internet access now) and signal strength is excellent. Moving it just a bit away (1m) signal strength detriorates dramatically.

Will try positioning it further away to see how. Maybe tonight.
Thanks for your responses.

darkavgr

tan131 said:
i'm using the "speedstream" USB modem that come with the singnet boardband plan...just bought a wireless router by "netgear", following the instruction menu..i just cannot understand how to connect the modem to the router.. i can get the wireless part up to share files and printer but not the internet connection..do i need to purchase a ethernet modem instead?? can anyone advise wat i can do?? this issue has been bugging me for weeks..hehehe~~

You'll need an ethernet modem

Repositioning helps... Typical wireless access points (Linksys, Dlink, Avaya/Lucent) i've tested can penerate 2 HDB walls quite ok. Distance isn't much of an issue here in the HDB... it's the walls & metal structures, etc pipes..

Try to position the 2 points such that they are pependicular to the wall it is penetrating instead of diagonally.

darkavgr said:
yeah... bought this at Sitex at $206 (router & PCI catd) plus $68 for additional PCMCIA card.
Has to be in the living room as I'm on SCV & the set-top box & cable modem is there. To configure it I had to move router to about 5m from PC (hence able to get Internet access now) and signal strength is excellent. Moving it just a bit away (1m) signal strength detriorates dramatically.

Will try positioning it further away to see how. Maybe tonight.
Thanks for your responses.

darkavgr

Another thing is you may have to upgrade your firmware if needed. My friend who owns a Netgear have problem with downloading when he first bought it. He's downloading time always stop at exactly 20 minutes.

He then found out that the router has a small built in memory which is meant for upgrading. So after downloading the neccesary files, he has not had any single problem. So maybe you could really try to call up DLINK not Starhub. Starhub will not entertain you regarding this matters.

If you can get some signal, then maybe you coulc get the amtenna booster. If I am not wrong it's about $68-$70 member's price at Challanger. Before you buy it from Challenger, bring the antenna package and go to their customer service (near the entrance) and ask a little more about the antenna booster. It's free and they are very friendly........

So try and see loh if you have time...............StarHub cable shud not be giving you any problem.

Pro Image said:
Another thing is you may have to upgrade your firmware if needed. My friend who owns a Netgear have problem with downloading when he first bought it. He's downloading time always stop at exactly 20 minutes.

He then found out that the router has a small built in memory which is meant for upgrading. So after downloading the neccesary files, he has not had any single problem. So maybe you could really try to call up DLINK not Starhub. Starhub will not entertain you regarding this matters.

If you can get some signal, then maybe you coulc get the amtenna booster. If I am not wrong it's about $68-$70 member's price at Challanger. Before you buy it from Challenger, bring the antenna package and go to their customer service (near the entrance) and ask a little more about the antenna booster. It's free and they are very friendly........

So try and see loh if you have time...............StarHub cable shud not be giving you any problem.

Thanks Pro Image for your help..
I've checked the Dlink website & they have quite a few different booster antennas. Left a voice mail as well as email but no responses from them yet.
Maybe the booster might help.
Have you tried the booster antenna ?
Does it improve the coverage substantially?

The placement of the router seems to be extremely sensitive.
Even 1 foot left or right can make a whole lot of difference in signal strength.

thanks...dark

have you tried adjusting the position of the router? my netgear used to have prob, till I place the antenna facing upwards... used to move it around quite often because of weak signal

ninelives said:
does DLink come with one year warrenty ?

Dlink comes w lifetime warranty :bigeyes:
which was one of the reasons I chose it over SMC, Netgear etc
$20 premium over the others though
Apparently all Dlink wireless stuff have lifetime warranty

darkavgr

One other thing : performance is excellent when signal is strong.
Its fast and feels no different from my previous wired set up.

darkavgr

Just change the speed of the wireless or ur wireless card. Bring the speed down to 5MB or 1MB that would increase the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.