help! UGLY water spot on picture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxell_diskettes

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I took a picture (digital), then I went home and synced it into the computer. Then I realized that there is this ugly white spot on the photo, probably due to a water droplet on the camera lens when taking the photo or something.

You can see the original part of the photo just behind this ugly white spot, except this spot is whiter than the other parts of the photo...

How do I get rid of this extra bright spot? I am using Adobe photoshop, but cannot find a suitable effect to apply...

(Simply imagine a normal photo. Then in the centre there is a small circular spot just slightly whiter than the rest. You can still see the original part of the photo behind this white 'layer'...)

Please advise me on how to remove this spot, thanks!!!! :)

Pls look at my avatar for the picture... thanks!

depending on how big ur spot is, and how much detail it covers, you could use the clone stamp tool (hotkey 's')

when u are using that tool, hold alt and click on a spot to "copy" from, and use the brush (let go of alt) and paint over the spot.

wow... that's a HUGE spot to fill up..

i'd try to work with the spot, instead of cloning in this case.

try selecting just the spot with an elliptical marquee (press m, and then shift-m until u get a round marquee in the tool bar - your cursor will be a cross hair) and hold shift as u drag for a perfect circle, if u want one.

with the spot selected, u can either use curves, levels, or h/s/b to tweak it so that it's the same as the surroundings. (all this can be found uinder image, adjustments) this one is hard to teach, u just have to try it out. i'd hit levels first, then curves. h/s/b is a little complicated.

if u still can't get it, u can even try colour balance, and if it just too much hassle, well... take the shot again! :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

hey ;)

thanks for replying and all the suggestions!! :)

the thing is that once I applied the adjustment, though the colours are corrected, the spot is not integrated with the picture... there is a distinct border that can be seen (which is the border of the selection). Is there any way to smoothen the borders so that the spot is more integrated?

I tried to smoothen the edges by repeatedly making selection using the lasso tool, but the progression from the edge of the selection to the centre was not smooth but appeared contoured, like concentric circles of increasing darkness towards the centre...

(pls have a look at the new avatar and comment, thanks!)

thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

In this case I think u got to use the cloning stamp with a very small brush size. You lost the details for that area so it's quite hard to recreate.

actually, what i'm looking for is just a tool or a plug-in that can gradually darken a selection from the border to the centre...

this is because the water droplet does not cause a uniform white spot but a gradual white spot with the centre being the whitest...

thus is there a tool that can gradually darken the selection from the border towards the centre?

i really appreciate all the help...

Then I think you need to apply a mask using radial gradient in Photoshop. At least I think that's what it's called. But my PS not pro so can't help you much with that.

ok after u select with the circular marquee go to "feather" (ctrl alt d) and put in a value, depending on how big ur spot is. wat's the size of the image you're working on?

i'd say u could feather between 5-20 pixels.

I get these water spots thing when I use my A40 with flash under some trying conditions where I fire the camera repeatedly even when it is not focused, e,g at birthdays when things just happen way too fast . I'm very sure they are not droplets, any idea ?

Now to think of it, maybe it isn't a water spot. When I took the photo, it was indoors and there wasn't any rain, etc.

But it looks like one huge water droplet anyway. Maybe it's the lighting...

maxell_diskettes:kok:

?? harder ??

maybe it's not a water droplet, but the spot is still there and it still looks exactly like a water droplet...

oh yes, thanks for all the advice, they really make the spot less visible... i really appreciate all your help, especially jOhO and Newman!!! ;) ;) ;)

Aiyah simple to fix lah. Go and find a photo with hat. Then copy & paste over the spot lah! Not only fix the problem but maybe look nicer some more!:D

Originally posted by Newman
Aiyah simple to fix lah. Go and find a photo with hat. Then copy & paste over the spot lah! Not only fix the problem but maybe look nicer some more!:D
rofl....

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.