help to install canoscan fs2710 scanner in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
hi guys, i bought this scanner few years back from fellow cser (he is very kind, came to my house to do the installation for me) and it had served me well. unfortunately, the computer crash. after getting a new one, i have problem installing the scsi. i am very blurr when it come to IT. can anyone pls help me. thanks.

scanning of film is very $$$$$

not sure what scsi, but i tried installation using the original cd that came with the scanner, but it say

"setup is not available in current os"

but the canoscan software say

"installation of scsi driver completed'

so how?

Found this from google. Not sure if it helps :sweat:

"Installing CanoScan FS2710 on Windows XP

1. Make sure that you have a recent version of ASPI. I downloaded aspi_471a2.exe (511kb) from Adaptec's Web site. This is a self-extracting zip file; when it extracts, see the README.TXT file (under folder C:\adaptec\aspi) for installation instructions. You can run the aspichk.exe utility to ensure it is properly installed (may require reboot)

2. Purchase a USB-SCSI adapter. I used Adaptec USB2XChange (available from dabs.com, or directly from adaptec.com.

Plug the Adaptec USB2XChange adapter into a USB port on your machine, as opposed to a port on a USB hub device. I found that when I plugged it into the hub device, it was not recognised, even though the hub is self-powered.

3. When the New Hardware wizard appears, install the drivers for Adaptec USB2XChange from the installation CD.

* You may need to download Windows XP drivers from Adaptec Web site. The file name is usb2xchg_win_drv_v200.exe (123Kb). The Windows 2000 drivers work for Windows XP.

* The USB2XChange adapter may not be recognised unless the scanner is first powered on.

When properly installed, your adapter will be listed under Device Manager / USB controllers as "Adaptec USB2-Xchange Adapter".

4. Now, you ALSO need to get the system to recognise your CanoScan FS2710. You should find that it is being picked up by the New Hardware wizard as a device called Canon IX-27025E SCSI Scanner Device". I looked for help on this on the Web and found recommendations such as using UMAX 2200 or Adaptec AVA-2904 drivers. I looked in vain for these, and tried a few others, none of which worked.

I then realised that the successor to the FS2710 (the FS4000US) is a USB-powered device, so I decided to download the drivers for it and give them a try. You can get this driver from software.canon.com. The file is called s2301enx.exe (685Kb), a self-extracting ZIP.

I unpacked the contents to C:\TEMP and then edited the file Fs40us.inf in Notepad.
Under the section labeled "[Models]", insert the line:
%SCSI\Banff.DeviceDesc%=SCSI\BanffInstall,CANON___IX-27025E_______1

5. Now, go back to Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager and do the following:
* Go down to the device listed as "Canon IX-27025E SCSI Scanner Device"
* Right-click and select "Update Driver"
* When the Hardware Update wizard appears, select "No, not this time" [Next>], "Install from list or specific location" [Next>], "Don't search" [Next>], Imaging Devices - Have Disk ..., browse to C:\TEMP (where I had unpacked the drivers), and off you go.

When installed, your scanner will be listed under Device Manager / Imaging devices as "CanoScan FS4000US(SCSI)". You will also see it under Control Panel - Scanner and Cameras, where there is a diagnostic facility to test if the scanner is working.

6. I tried installing CanoCraft v3.6 but this does not recognise the scanner. Photoshop does not recognise it either. However, if you install Vuescan (available from www.hamrick.com) your scanner will be recognised as the "FS2710". The Vuescan software is reportedly much better than Canon's own software. I have not used it often enough to comment, but on a straight comparison of a 35mm slide scanned with CanoCraft and Vuescan, the Vuescan version had much better tones and sharpness. "

Good luck.

COCOA

thanks cocoa

i seen the site too. question here is, before the computer crash, i was using the original adapter, but this site says must purchase a converter. i am hoping to get advice for the setup that was done the 1st time by the seller (unfortunately, cant remember his name).

Status
Not open for further replies.