Help to choose cam

bitdriver

Oct 24, 2009
I need your insight on choosing a Nikon cam. I'm a Canon 50D user for just a little over a year and I'm strongly considering switching to Nikon (for personal reasons I won't be stating ;))

I don't see myself going FF in the near future so I am opting only for cropped bodies close to (or better than) Canon 50D. So I see a D90, D7000, or a D300s suits me, but not really sure which. So I hope you can help me somehow narrow my options.

I'm just a photog enthusiast and my photog interest is more on landscape and macro.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Last edited:
I need your insight on choosing a Nikon cam. I'm a Canon 50D user for just a little over a year and I'm strongly considering switching to Nikon (for personal reasons I won't be stating ;))

I don't see myself going FF in the near future so I am opting only for cropped bodies close to (or better than) Canon 50D. So I see a D90, D7000, or a D300s suits me, but not really sure which. So I hope you can help me somehow narrow my options.

I'm just a photog enthusiast and my photog interest is more on landscape and macro.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

50D is some what similar to D90 in its specs... that's provided if you want to keep to that. If you're considering an upgrade, D7000 or D300s.

I'm a D90 user, having tested D7000 recently, I feel that the jump is significant enough. But between D7000 and D300s, I think it isn't that big a significant difference, although each has its own merits and cons. D7000 isn't a pro-enough body (there are some ergonomic issues which I feel is a small deterrence), while D300s is in-and-out, a pro-crop body.

To consider D300s over D7000, you'll need to look hard into each specs and weigh the differences carefully to see if either suits your needs. To totally beat D7000, you'll have to wait for D300s' successor (probably called D400) but there is no way we can determine (even roughly) when that's going to happen given the national crisis that Japan is facing. Then again, it might not be affected too greatly - given that D400 will mostly like be coming out of Thailand. (Some internal components will surely affect the release schedule for sure)

Last edited:
I would recommend the D7k over the D90, but D300s is a different ballgame.
If you want a pro body, go D300s. If you are happy with the level of controls in D7k, then get it. It's a beautiful camera.

I was just comparing the specs of the 3 models from the Nikon website. And after considering your recommendations, I think I am gearing towards D7K more due to the weight and a little bit of gain on the price.

I only had a chance to get a hands-on w/ the D90 (thanks to my colleague). Is the layout and ergonomics of D7k similar to the D90 ? And what makes a D300s a "pro-body" (just curious)?

I was just comparing the specs of the 3 models from the Nikon website. And after considering your recommendations, I think I am gearing towards D7K more due to the weight and a little bit of gain on the price.

I only had a chance to get a hands-on w/ the D90 (thanks to my colleague). Is the layout and ergonomics of D7k similar to the D90 ? And what makes a D300s a "pro-body" (just curious)?

It's a prosumer body (due to corp factor) following some characteristics of FX body (like D700, D3) like fully weather sealed, more AF points, better button placement & controls.

wmayeo said:
It's a prosumer body (due to corp factor) following some characteristics of FX body (like D700, D3) like fully weather sealed, more AF points, better button placement & controls.

I would call it a semi pro body. It is too easy to mix up prosumer Dslr to prosumer pns.

Really, I'd call D300s a pro body (not even semi, prosumer is more like D90 or D7000). If a professional photographer needs that extra 1.5 crop reach in a situation that he might put scratches and dings on a cam, D300S is probably the only current Crop he/she can depend on... being full Magnesium Alloy body. MEANING, he can depend his job/life on it on critical shoots. Remember the D3S that dropped and ran over by a vehicle and still continues to shoot? Well, a full magnesium body would probably withstand all that abuse... I can't say D7000 would be able to do that (being half mag-alloy component).

Also, D300s takes in almost all the features enjoyed on Full Frame Nikons, including most of ergonomics...

D7000? Sorry, it doesn't cut it - that loosey mode knob is JUST TOO loosey for a pro-body... :bsmilie: I can't depend my job/life on it... Doesn't make it a lousy cam though, on the contrary - it beats D300S on many grounds... but for a pro to depend on on it to take crazy abuses... no can do.

Last edited:
that's why dun buy prosumer body, so confusing...

Don't take my word for it... trying registering D7000 for NPS (Nikon Professional Service)... :bsmilie: And yes, D300S does qualify... :)

Don't take my word for it... trying registering D7000 for NPS (Nikon Professional Service)... :bsmilie: And yes, D300S does qualify... :)

this is new to me!

almost using it for one year. :bsmilie:

I DON'T even have a PRO body! :cool:

Surely, I don't have any. :D Anyway, I don't have the skills or motivation yet to go pro.

Thanks for all the inputs. This thread was definitely helpful. I will start asking quotes for D7K this next few days and I hope to get my first Nikon gear set up soon.

I'm looking for a D7k + 12-24mm + 35 f1.8 for a start. Any shop(s) in particular you would recommend? Also, does the D7k already comes with screen protector?

hold on to your 50D can get a D400 when its out? :bsmilie:

why don't go for FF, D700 straight. Difference is not that much.
I have the same sentiment as yours, "there are some ergonomic issues which I feel is a small deterrence". (IMHO).

Between d7k and d300s... I will go for d300s.
D7000 no doubt is a great cam but its quite unfriendly for our big hand.
D300s on the other hand fits just perfect.

Between d300s and d700, I'll choose the latter... But It's different story already.