Help to choose cam

For DX, same wideness can also be attained by getting lenses appropriate for that field of view. And dx lenses are cheaper to boot, not to mention the selection for dx lenses is actually wider.

For macro, dx is more useful due to the crop factor. It gives the impression of more magnification on the same focal lengths and working distance. As for high iso performance, most macro shooters will stop down for maximum dof and many will use artificial lighting.

Fx will be advantageous in low light shooting, recoverable dynamic range as well as thinner dof for same lenses with the same field of view.

1) pricing aside, my point is still valid right? comparing same focus length on FX and DX, FX will always be wider.

2) when using a small aperture and not-too-slow shutter speed (in case of movement of insect or wind), good ISO performance is still a plus especially when flash may not be applicable or an option.

just trying to clarify if my points given are entirely incorrect or are you just adding on to them?

Alan Chan said:
1) pricing aside, my point is still valid right? comparing same focus length on FX and DX, FX will always be wider.

2) when using a small aperture and not-too-slow shutter speed (in case of movement of insect or wind), good ISO performance is still a plus especially when flash may not be applicable or an option.

just trying to clarify if my points given are entirely incorrect or are you just adding on to them?

1) true that same focal length it is always wider on FX. But that does not translate to "wider=better at landscape". Because in the end it is about fov. And will that means it depends on the lens used. Widest on fx is sigma 12-24. But the fov is same as widest on dx which is sigma 8-16mm.

2) macro shooters stop down to increase dof. Fx gives thinner dof. So to get the same dof, fx cam need to step down more than dx cam. That is why macro shooters will use flash a lot. This coupled with more 'reach', Dx has the advantage in macro.

Last edited: