Help! the hand grip has become sticky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennyevan

Feb 3, 2006
far west
Hi guys, I juz bot a used D100 and was trying to clean the body with some lens cleaning sovent. realised the rubber surface become sticky as i clean it! Any solution to the silly mistake? :(

Nothing much you can do. If you sticky hand grip really bother you, try using gaffer tape to cover it.

Nothing much you can do. If you sticky hand grip really bother you, try using gaffer tape to cover it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or replace the entire grip area if it bothers you too much to tape up.

I had the same problem on my Sony A100 after using it with sweaty palms. Somehow or another it got better as the days get by.
Heard from others that if you want, you could bring it down to the service centre to see if they could change the grip for you (at a cost, of couse)

hope you get it sorted out!
Cheers

Why were you cleaning the body with lens cleaning solution anyway?

My suggestion is to try wiping a damp cloth over the body. The lens cleaning solution might be the one causing the stickness.

Samuel

Thank you guys for your valuable input, appreciate. Juz got a pm from Fatigue (David, our CS repair master) advicing me to clean the rubber area with soap and cold water (carefully of course). Will update thread on the result soon. :)

Thank you guys for your valuable input, appreciate. Juz got a pm from Fatigue (David, our CS repair master) advicing me to clean the rubber area with soap and cold water (carefully of course). Will update thread on the result soon. :)

Hope it works. It all depends on what kind of lens cleaning liquid used.

Hope it works. It all depends on what kind of lens cleaning liquid used.

Haven't tried it but do you think those wet tissues for cleaning leather seats might work?

try use a fine talcom powder. It works great on beatup old cameras all the time.

I believe washing is good, too, if you use the right solution and methods.

What solution wld u recommend? I tried dish washing liquid but din work.

What solution wld u recommend? I tried dish washing liquid but din work.

Experienced that several times on old cameras and other rubber clad equipment, like golf club grips, etc. My old film EOS 5 had a severe case of stickiness and Isopropyl Alcohol did the trick. It's clean and look/feel none the worst for wear.

Isopropyl Alcohol is generally used to clean electronic parts like PCBs / components and doesn't damage rubber and plastic parts. The same type of alcohol is also present in the disc cleaning liquid sold to clean vinyl (EP/LP) records. It's also effective for cleaning off the sticky bits after you peel off an old sticker.

Try it, Cheers.

Experienced that several times on old cameras and other rubber clad equipment, like golf club grips, etc. My old film EOS 5 had a severe case of stickiness and Isopropyl Alcohol did the trick. It's clean and look/feel none the worst for wear.

Isopropyl Alcohol is generally used to clean electronic parts like PCBs / components and doesn't damage rubber and plastic parts. The same type of alcohol is also present in the disc cleaning liquid sold to clean vinyl (EP/LP) records. It's also effective for cleaning off the sticky bits after you peel off an old sticker.

Try it, Cheers.

Is lighter fluid Isopropyl Alcohol?

Lighter fluid is also a kind of petroleum distillate but it's not Isopropyl Alcohol. Although now that you mentioned it, it does have similar properties that enable you to remove sticky residue.

One common trick is to use lighter fluid to remove the Censor Board sticker from the external plastic wrapping of VCDs & DVDs, so that you can transfer it onto the disc cardboard jacket itself. Hmmm, it might just work and don't seem to damage plastic.

If you're gung-ho enough, give it a go :) (Can't promise "no harm" trying it though ... Haaa)

Lighter fluid is certainly not Alcohol. It's a totally different chemical.

You can use it to clean stain and sometimes sticky marks but it might leave a residue. I have used it sucessfully to clean off stains on the whiteboard and sticky marks left by tape. For obvious reasons, do not smoke while trying this trick.

Samuel

Wow! Thanks for the recommendation, will try it out this morning. :)

Wow! Thanks for the recommendation, will try it out this morning. :)

If you're trying IPA, apply only on a small portion an observe. I beleive that the earlier lens cleaning solvent used is alcohol based.
As for lighter fluid, I'm using it to clean metal parts of camera and usually safe to clean rubber parts.

Try it, Cheers.

Lighter fluid is also a kind of petroleum distillate but it's not Isopropyl Alcohol. Although now that you mentioned it, it does have similar properties that enable you to remove sticky residue.

One common trick is to use lighter fluid to remove the Censor Board sticker from the external plastic wrapping of VCDs & DVDs, so that you can transfer it onto the disc cardboard jacket itself. Hmmm, it might just work and don't seem to damage plastic.

If you're gung-ho enough, give it a go :) (Can't promise "no harm" trying it though ... Haaa)

Wah! Learned something new. Thanks, SightnSound.

Try it, Cheers.

Hi ... I have a similar problem; where can I get it?

Thanks in advance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.