help: suggestion for starter slr

litost

Jun 22, 2010
Hello, I have been using digital cameras for years, but now I want to pick up film photography. Can anyone recommend an slr for me?

maybe something that can be considered the 'best deal on the market' now...cos I'm still schooling and don't have much $.

I don't mind manual controls nor do i mind 2nd hand stuff so doesn't need to be the newest model

Last edited:
Hello, I have been using digital cameras for years, but now I want to pick up film photography. Can anyone recommend an slr for me?

maybe something that can be considered the 'best deal on the market' now...cos I'm still schooling and don't have much $.

I don't mind manual controls nor do i mind 2nd hand stuff so doesn't need to be the newest model

Your question is very similar to "I want to drive a vehicle, what should I buy?"

We need to know what system do you prefer, and what kind of stuff you like to shoot. Do you have any lenses or equipment in a certain system already? starting fresh? etc etc etc

And, buying film slr you pretty much have to go 2nd hand anyway. So what features are important to you? AF? metering? what?

Last edited:
Your question is very similar to "I want to drive a vehicle, what should I buy?"

We need to know what system do you prefer, and what kind of stuff you like to shoot. Do you have any lenses or equipment in a certain system already? starting fresh? etc etc etc

And, buying film slr you pretty much have to go 2nd hand anyway. So what features are important to you? AF? metering? what?

i like to shoot almost everything... people, architecture, landscape... for me photography is hobby

I have no lenses, no equipment, nothing... starting from scratch

my previous cameras all were point and shoot with exception of s5is with manual control of shutter and aperture... I want to move on to slr as something more advanced

i'm quite clueless actually... no idea what feature i should be looking out for

Last edited:
I think each brand has their own best slr...

personally i tried nikon fm2, fe and oly OM1n
I think they are all good...

Lens wise, each has their own set of gd lenses...:)

go google or flickr to see what are some of the models and their limitations...

Anyway a good way to tell is to buy and use it...only by using it will u know wat u want and wat is missing...
if u don like, can always sell away at the price u bought it....the price wont varies much thou :)

Last edited:

First big decision: Pre-AF or AF system? Many camera manufacturers have switched from manual focus to Auto Focus at a certain point in time, sometimes this results in major technology changes and sometimes limitations. Canon EOS film SLR can use all EF lenses from Canon, but no FD lenses of the Pre-AF time. Nikon SLR can mount all lenses, no changes here. But the metering has some limitations. (Read more here.) Similar things can be said about other brands.
Why these considerations? It would enable you using modern lenses and older lenses on the same body. If you happen to get a DSLR body in future then you could such lenses there as well.
Canon SLR bodies are easily available here in Buy&Sell, I also saw some in The Camera Workshop (TCW). For comparison and details of Canon EOS series you can check here.

i like to shoot almost everything... people, architecture, landscape... for me photography is hobby

my previous cameras all were point and shoot with exception of s5is with manual control of shutter and aperture... I want to move on to slr as something more advanced

dont u think, to own SLR is more expensive than DSLR? :confused:
film and its processing is expensive..

So I guess you would want a more modern film camera with auto-focus, and metering as well right? Rather than a full manual everything-slr that some of the more experienced people here are into?

There are also rangefinders by the way. So start googling and reading. And form an opinion of the direction you will be taking. That will be a good first step.

Opposite Marsiling MRT ( Marsiling point ), a Kodak film shop sell Canon EOS88 with lens and Pentax MZ50 with lens at around $500-$600.
EOS 88 with standard lens for that price? EOS88 (or also labeled EOS 3000) is a low level entry model. Is it new? 2nd hand models in BnS go for much less, even higher end models go for below 200.

Last edited:

Film SLR, bodies may be cheap, but some uses modern day lenses, and some of the older lenses are cheaper but still quite substantial. And we are not talking about the film and developing yet.

TS, I think it might be a better start to go to a entry level DSLR first. Since you can see results immediately and change your settings. It is a great learning tool. On a film camera, you have to shoot first and by the time your photos are developed, you would have probably forgotten how you got to the shot, or what you did wrong in the shot.

Opposite Marsiling MRT ( Marsiling point ), a Kodak film shop sell Canon EOS88 with lens and Pentax MZ50 with lens at around $500-$600.

The reviews on these 2 models are quite good.

The shop owner tried to sell it to me but I have already gave up on film long time ago.

Did you add an extra zero behind the prices?More likely its $50-$60 with kit lens...

This equation has more than one factor and cannot be answered that easily. It also depends on which film SLR you get. Leaving the lenses aside, for film SLR you get cheaper bodies but you'll have the costs for film, processing, scanning (either in lab or buy film scanner). DSLR costs more initially but no processing, scanning. Software / Equipment for post-processing is equal.
Decide for yourself whether photography is just technology to freeze moments (family snapshots, holiday pics) or a hobby to explore art and expression. In case of the latter have a look how people process films at home.. :)

The shop owner swear to me that it is brand new.
However, I didn't examine it as I am not interested.
Of course he will, everybody would do just to get it off the shelf :) However, the market for SLR is small and you can get 2nd hand professional models for this price. Saw an EOS3 with battery pack at TCW, price tag around 500. Check the link I provided earlier and do your own comparison regarding features.

If you don't mind manual camera, Nikon FM2 is very decent. Around S$300 for a good condition camera.

I am just repeating what the shop owner said.

These are branded SLR, NOT ordinary point and shoot film camera.

Ordinary point and shoot film cameras are around $40-$60 dollars.

Depends on the lenses as well. Some old lenses are dirty cheap. Some are very expensive.

Film SLR bodies on their own are not that expensive, even if they are branded. The only exceptions are the collectible film bodies.

I am just repeating what the shop owner said.

These are branded SLR, NOT ordinary point and shoot film camera.

Ordinary point and shoot film cameras are around $40-$60 dollars.

Anyway, if you are interested, you go and see for yourself.

If not, just pretend that you never see this thread.

RELAX BRO...where u see point & shoot ard 40-60? for ur info the point and shoot kind of camera isnt cheap lo...check those fuji GR and minilux or even yashica range of point and shoot...
ermm branded SLR is also not so exp la...we are just pointing out that the price abit steep...

A MF Pentax ME Super is about $160 with a 50mm f2 lens. Metering is auto (center weighted).
The good thing is that
1. There are quite a few Pentaxians actively shooting with film, so you have kakis and ppl to refer to.
2. The lens is usable on a Pentax DSLR if you have one.