Help!! Studio shoot advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason72

Jun 23, 2004
Hi people, this is my first time doing studio shooting on Sat and I need some advice on what to bring and also what to look out for. Currently I am using the D70 and wonder how the flash will to syncronise with my camera. Last of all, will a 50mm lens be good enough for this shoot? Thanks people. :sweat:

Hi people, this is my first time doing studio shooting on this coming Sat and I need some advice :sweat: on what to bring and also what to look out for. Currently I am using the D70 and wonder how the flash will to syncronise with my camera. Last of all, will a 50mm lens be good enough for this shoot? Thanks people. :sweatsm:

jason72 said:
Hi people, this is my first time doing studio shooting on Sat and I need some advice on what to bring and also what to look out for. Currently I am using the D70 and wonder how the flash will to syncronise with my camera. Last of all, will a 50mm lens be good enough for this shoot? Thanks people. :sweat:

Just bring your camera along. The pace where you are doing studio shoot should provide the rest of the items like trigger and light meter. D70 can synco at 1/500, but normally I would not use above 1/90.

A 50mm lens is good enough of the shoot, but at close portrait, the face will be slightly distorted.

jason72 said:
Hi people, this is my first time doing studio shooting on this coming Sat and I need some advice :sweat: on what to bring and also what to look out for. Currently I am using the D70 and wonder how the flash will to syncronise with my camera. Last of all, will a 50mm lens be good enough for this shoot? Thanks people. :sweatsm:

you did not say what you will be shooting. it helps to know. clarify what the studio will supply.

The studio should have all the basic equipment for you, typically you just bring camera, lens and memory cards.
Beforehand, you also need to have some ideas of what you are going to shoot. If you are shooting portraits/models, you need to think what pose/props that you want. If you shoot children, you may also need some toys and sing-along cd to play with.

If you're using your built-in flash/SB600/SB800 on the D70 to trigger the studio flash, make sure you turn off the pre-flash (iTTL). The pre-flash will trigger off the studio flash.

That's what happended in my first studio shoot with the D70 ;p

bring the lens that best suits the subject that you are shooting, in a studio a fast lens is not really important, bring a tripod if the studio does not provide one (unlikely)
As mentioned above, props, music to work by and set the mood. Bring extra CF cards. And plan what you are going to shoot and how you want to light the subject.

If you are learning, just look at the work of others and try to recreate the lighting.
it is a faster way of learning lighting techniques instead of DIY with no goal.

Have a good time and post your pictures and experiences for others to learn too.

Thanks guys, at lease I am more prepare now after all the advice you have given me.

I will be taking portraits. As for my external flash, do I still need extra lighting since the studio already have those lights provided? Or you mean that in order to trigger the studio lights, I need to put on my SB800 and turn off the iTTL, then how should get it turn off? Sorry for the trouble that I have created here..... I am really a slow learner..... :p

jason72 said:
Thanks guys, at lease I am more prepare now after all the advice you have given me.

I will be taking portraits. As for my external flash, do I still need extra lighting since the studio already have those lights provided? Or you mean that in order to trigger the studio lights, I need to put on my SB800 and turn off the iTTL, then how should get it turn off? Sorry for the trouble that I have created here..... I am really a slow learner..... :p

Use the PC Sync Cord or a remote Trigger, it is better that way as there will be no excess lights to interfere with your setting (even though it is rather impossible to interfere, but it is better to be safe then to be sorry).

Which studio are you going to? There is a chance people here will know what equipment are provided there, but chances are most studio provide the trigger :D

I see..... will try out that way..... better to be save then sorry.
I have no idea which studio will be in, was told to meet up first. Anyway thanks.

Like that also can :) ...... Wanna join SLCC's Charity Shoot for the Tidal Wave Victim? Stanley will most probably be there to assist and give guidance to newbies :D ..... I will most probably be there too :D ..... Then Toliz and others will be there to assist as well :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.