Help- Studio light for small object and portraits Strobes or Continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.

letdoit

Oct 12, 2003
singapore, Jurong
Hi,
i just bought a second hand studio lighting.
found that the light is yellow. luckly the flash is white.

a few questions:
1) is there white colour strobes?
2) for shooting jewelry or bead, should i use strobe or Continuous light? see this link:
http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/HowTo_page.htm

3) For shooting jewelry or bead, should i used yellow or white lighting?
4) For portraits, should i used white light or used back my yellow stobes light?
5) i don't know any reason, why strobes designed for yellow light? what is the purpose? cheap?

thanks

the (yellow) modelling light is just to let u know where the light will fall and how the shadows are cast when before you fire off the flash.

Clown said:
the (yellow) modelling light is just to let u know where the light will fall and how the shadows are cast when before you fire off the flash.
thanks alot. u should be asking my no.5
maybe i going down to cathay and see how many type of strobe and ask question there. :)

letdoit said:
thanks alot. u should be asking my no.5
maybe i going down to cathay and see how many type of strobe and ask question there. :)
yellow light or whatever color light just depends on the bulb u're using for the modelling lamp.
and if your softbox material is old, u'll end up with yellow-ish light too.

but all in all, it doesnt matter really.

letdoit said:
Hi,

a few questions:
2) for shooting jewelry or bead, should i use strobe or Continuous light? see this link:

4) For portraits, should i used white light or used back my yellow stobes light?
5) i don't know any reason, why strobes designed for yellow light? what is the purpose? cheap?

thanks

1) white color strobes? all strobes are white, think 5200-5500k, if u wan continuous, get fluorescent 5500k light. there is also quartz light.

2) no diff, end of the day is how you do your setup and your skill level, iirc, its easier for beginners to use continuous lighting.

3) hmm... maybe like clown say, modelling light, but there is also yellowish fluorescent light around, but depends on the mood, and are you going for color accuracy, and also your white balance setup.

4) as above

5) clown explained... btw the yellow 1 is tungsten light... the flash is xenon filled (i think).

letdoit said:
Hi,

a few questions:

thanks
i think it would be easier if you told us what you bought
and what light you are talking about?

ortega said:
i think it would be easier if you told us what you bought
and what light you are talking about?
methinks he bought the eastgear small studio set...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
1) white color strobes? all strobes are white, think 5200-5500k, if u wan continuous, get fluorescent 5500k light. there is also quartz light.

2) no diff, end of the day is how you do your setup and your skill level, iirc, its easier for beginners to use continuous lighting.

3) hmm... maybe like clown say, modelling light, but there is also yellowish fluorescent light around, but depends on the mood, and are you going for color accuracy, and also your white balance setup.

4) as above

5) clown explained... btw the yellow 1 is tungsten light... the flash is xenon filled (i think).

thanks pal
i think there isn't white tungsten light, no choice have to buy cont.light

letdoit said:
thanks pal
i think there isn't white tungsten light, no choice have to buy cont.light

iirc, there is, long ago, but not that white, they used frosted glass instead of transparent ones. but its not for such usage. there is also red ones... hehe..

Strobes have stronger flash but you might need the assistance of a flash meter.
Continous lighting is easier but it drains power and the heat caused is HOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.