Help! SDHC card not recognized in 500D

Kammy

Jan 23, 2012
hey guys, i have a problem with my 8gb SDHC card and/or my camera (Canon 500D) and i need some help.
i've used this camera for awhile now and everything was working fine. then yesterday after i took out the card to upload pictures to my laptop (which i alrdy did it for many times before) and insert it back on my camera, but it states that there is No Card. i did try inserting the card back to my laptop to check whether the card is working and my laptop can read it as per normal. but not my camera. i do not have other sd/sdhc cards to check whether the card is at fault or the camera.

so what should i do now? please help me.
Thanks!

tried formatting in camera, but it still states 'No Card', therefore it cant format.

is the side switch of card in lock or unlocked position ?
it might have accidentally been flicked to locked which some cameras will give a 'No Card' or 'Unable to Write' warning

I had the same problem with my 500D. Try this:

1) format your card through your computer.

2) Remove your battery. Leave it aside for maybe 10-15mins. Insert battery and card. Start up cam ---> this was what the canon technician did to troubleshoot.

3) If step 1 and 2 don't work, repeat step 1 and 2 with another card

4) If step 1, 2 and 3 don't work, bring to canon service centre

The fault is likely to be the card reader module inside your camera. I had mine replaced foc as it was under guarantee. Not sure how much is the repair cost.

Why it happens? The technician wasn't able to confirm. But possibly wear and tear when you remove and insert the card. From then on, I never remove my card and use a cable to transfer the pix from cam to PC.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
First... Try a different card.

Thanks guys, i will get a new card, then try out Azurebluee's tips. Hopefully, theres no need for me to go csc, coz mine no longer under warranty. :/