Help Save Little Charmaine - A Photography Initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
http://www.ourfeistyprincess.com/

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528942

Further to Poohbear's thread, I'm looking to find out if we could come together and do something to help Charmaine, in our individual capacity.

For more information, we need to read the blogs. I know it's long, but apparently several avenues have already been tried.

I've been in contact with Charmaine's team, and have sounded off several photo-related ideas.

Simply, we could offer, over several forums, different types of photoshoots

The Catagories of Photoshoots we could do can include but is not limited to:

1) Pets - dogs and cats (very likely on location natural settings or mini-studio setting)
2) Children (natural settings, parks)
3) Portraits & Poses (Anywhere suitable)

We would need to brainstorm possible ideas and form a structure of the details before I can write out a draft message.

There is one other very popular area of photography that may help generate quite abit from within the photography community itself, but I'm waiting for replies from the powers that be first.

What I would need to find out is if anyone would be interested in helping out?

Given the scope of what was proposed, we're looking at several areas of skills sets and contacts needed.

1) Photographers capable of shooting each area mentioned
2) CSers willing to lend equipment such as portable lights, modifiers, backdrop set-up etc
3) CSers who are knowledgeable with possible locations to hold the above, preferably without the need for permits. Locations need to be central and easily accessible to encourage doners to come.
4) Assistants

I have already spoken with one lady photographer who may be able to help with Cat 1, but I tink we might need a small committee to help take charge of this effort.

Also, we really need help from CSers in the following areas:

1) logistics and planning
2) communication and updating skills (bear in mind, we may be looking at multiple shoots happening at several locations over the weekends)
3) Transport for the core shooting team and equipment

Also, does anyone know if such an initiative requires a Police permit since we're not approaching members of the general public, but going through forums and social groups, and with any transactions happening online, including transfers? To add: I am aware that many charity and donation drives have been held over various forums without permits and this has been going on for many years, apparently, without problems, but it would be good to find out.

Charmaine doesn't have much time left, and we need to get into action ASAP.

Please feel free to make suggestions, and volunteers are more than welcome!

Last edited:
Direct donations would also help. As localhost pointed out, that CS has

89,430 members -> to their friends (many times of 89,430) (if just everyone can do a bit of help like $10 each, it will surely helps!)

You can also help by linking Charmaine's blog and website to your facebook, friendster or other accounts and ask your family and friends to do the same, it helps.

We might have to par down operations a bit seeing that getting help might be difficult.

Spoke to someone from a dog forum, and got permission from the Admin to do a Doggie Charity Shoot.

It was decided that more dog owners might find a 'studio' kinda shoot more attractive than a natural looking outdoor shoot.

Have most of the logistics worked out.

What we need is a back-drop set-up like Muslin and stands.

Would any kind CSers like to volunteer the use of their backdrop set-up please?

Any volunteer time/effort is also more than welcome, because so far, it's only me and one kind lady doing all this.

I know it may not sound like much to some, but we're doing what we can.

Just let me know how I can be of help. I am not very good in potography but will contribute in whatever way I can. Let me know.

Meanwhile, I will send the link to my other shooting kakis.

Thanks.

I'ld like to help out. But i'm not good in photography nor do i have any equipment to lend. Can only contribute muscle power. :bsmilie: I'm free during the weekends except when kena guard duty.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and offers or agreements to help.

We still need a MUSLIN or backdrop set-up more than anything else at the moment.

If you could help, or know of someone who may want to help out in this area, please do inform him/her of this thread and let me know. I have submitted a thread for consideration in the Services Wated section for the backdrop.

Thanks for the message Ortega. Will wiat for your PM for details.

As I mentioned to a few people, I'll help out in whatever capacity I have in the form of time and skills. I really believe it would result in more than $10 or $100 in donations.

hello dm,

if you need people to shoot pets , for natural settings, and i am around (going overseas for a bit soon) and free (which i should be , for the most part until july)..... and you don't mind someone who's not that great..

just drop me a pm.

cheers!

I'd be more than glad to help for free. Just hope that all of our members can do their share for this kid and as well as for any other kid who needs help. Even if the help is small, it's the thought that always counts.

GMAN

This thread, as shown, seeks sincere help. Please don't off-topic into something else unsightly. I have cleaned it up a little on my own initiative, please keep it tidy.
Thanks! :sweatsm:

i do not have the equipments, but i'm willing to help in any other ways. just let me know how i can make myself useful.

Thanks Chris.

I am so glad that Cynthia & Charmaine have you for a friend. Whatever the outcome, I am sure they are more than thankful for all that you have done. I think we need to get as much funds as we can to her ASAP. I will be giving something to her directly through NUH. Unfortunately, I don't have any modeling lights and muslin backdrops. Will be following your thread to find out the needs and outcomes.

Cheers

engkeow

Hey DM, you pm is full.
Anyway, do you still need the backdrop holder and muslin?
I have a set of portable backdrop holder I can loan but don't have any muslin.
If you need the muslin as well, check out http://store.tagotech.com/index.php?cPath=23_32 and I'm more then willing to buy whichever color/pattern you need.

P.S. the backdrop holder I have is similar to 23266 listed on the above page as well.

I have a portable background stand (23266 ) and two muslin ( 23316 and 23310)
refer http://store.tagotech.com/index.php?cPath=23_32 for reference

suggest for portraiture , I think any shopping center (mall) will do especially along orchard road. I believe approval from the building management is needed instead of the police if the site for the shoot is indoor

Hi Dream Merchant,

I am still a novice in terms of photography skills & only have a pathetic setup of 450D with kits lens for toying around :embrass:... but I'm more than willing to offer any form of help for this event that can rake in any form of assistance for Charmaine. Just let me know if I can be of any help ok?

Regards. ;)

Thanks for your kind support and words of encouragement.

We (the person helping me organise things for the doggie shoots) are still finalising details and once that has been done, I can then contact some of you who have kindly volunteered equipment, time and services. Also, once details are set, I can post them up so that all of you will be kept up to speed.

As for the other proposed initiatives, while approval has been very kindly granted, I am discussing with the Admin and Mods and hope to find an efficient way to execute the ideas.

Thank you for caring, and for coming forward and wanting to help. :heart:

Warmest regards,

DM

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind support and words of encouragement.

We (the person helping me organise things for the doggie shoots) are still finalising details and once that has been done, I can then contact some of you who have kindly volunteered equipment, time and services. Also, once details are set, I can post them up so that all of you will be kept up to speed.

As for the other proposed initiatives, while approval has been very kindly granted, I am discussing with the Admin and Mods and hope to find an efficient way to execute the ideas.

Thank you for caring, and for coming forward and wanting to help. :heart:

Warmest regards,

DM
If you need more photographer's let me know. I'll get some.

GMAN

Thank you Gman.

It might be good to rotate, but the photographer(s) need to be good with nervous or excited pets (dogs).

Lighting set-up and technicalities will be taken care of, so the photographer's role is to take charge of the actual situation and shoot. From my previous experience doing something similar for a church event, it would also mean having good people skills to manage the pet owners. :)

Thank you Gman.

It might be good to rotate, but the photographer(s) need to be good with nervous or excited pets (dogs).

Lighting set-up and technicalities will be taken care of, so the photographer's role is to take charge of the actual situation and shoot. From my previous experience doing something similar for a church event, it would also mean having good people skills to manage the pet owners. :)
I work well with pets. I can kinda communicate with them better than people. Haha. Dogs are my speciality. Not afraid of the big ones. Just afraid, that my photographic skills may not be good enough? Anyway, i'm gathering more people who can be at your aid.

GMAN

I have a portable background stand (23266 ) and two muslin ( 23316 and 23310)
refer http://store.tagotech.com/index.php?cPath=23_32 for reference

suggest for portraiture , I think any shopping center (mall) will do especially along orchard road. I believe approval from the building management is needed instead of the police if the site for the shoot is indoor

Thanks so much bblurrr.

Are you able to help transport the set over a weekend, or leave the set with us till after the initiative? We are targetting one weekend's work, but if the response is good enough to warrant a second weekend, we would also need the backdrop set for a longer period.

I'll be candid - my co-planner and I have been (and still are) banging our heads as to where to do this mobile studio. So far, we've explored ideas of using void deck, condo event hall, open park areas and the main problem we foresee is either rejection once land owners/managers know that a large number of dogs are involved, or requests for police permits as well as being at the mercy of the weather (for open areas).

I also checked and one studio has kindly agreed to allow us to rent their studio but it's going to cost $120 / half day. Also, we need to have volunteers on stand-by as cleaning crew. A quick calculation told us that since most dogs need a little more time to adjust and settle down in a studio environment, we might not get enough numbers in that time slot to justify the $120 rental fee. We also have to bear in mind any possible cost if the paper backdrops or any studio equipment gets soiled and can;t be entirely cleaned, or damaged.

So far, one proposal of using a Multi-Storey carpark has been the most viable, but if a studio comes forward to offer the use of their studio without a rental fee, that would be so much more ideal as I was advised that many MSCPs are very warm and stuffy.

Suggestions or help with contacts or favours in this area would help greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.