Help regarding Holga 135BC!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohpamela

May 10, 2009
I'm new to all these photography things and I just bought a holga 135 bc a month back and just got back my developed photos. But it turned out only 5 were developed!! Other parts of the film were blank or just black patches. Most of the 5 surviving photos were used with flash. I used a Fuji roll of film which I thought all along was a negative film, yet when I went to the shop to develop, the lady said it's a slide film, so she suggested cross-process. I wanna know what's wrong !!! :((( Help me!

I'm new to all these photography things and I just bought a holga 135 bc a month back and just got back my developed photos. But it turned out only 5 were developed!! Other parts of the film were blank or just black patches. Most of the 5 surviving photos were used with flash. I used a Fuji roll of film which I thought all along was a negative film, yet when I went to the shop to develop, the lady said it's a slide film, so she suggested cross-process. I wanna know what's wrong !!! :((( Help me!

Can u show any shots here?

Sounds like either light leaks or over/under exposure.

Suggest using lucky 100 film as a cheaper route to learning the quirks of yr Holga.

Ok, some of them...
3906710038_7847136252.jpg

3906710048_04056153a8.jpg

3906710036_5cbdf684c6.jpg

This one was actually taken in brught conditions... was outdoors.
3906710046_79be7d1fac.jpg

They look well under exposed. What ASA of film did you use (100/200/400?) Did you x-process the slide film?

I would recommend you run a roll of negative film through, try ASA 800 if you can, and see what the results are like. With ASA 800 you should get reasonable snaps in dim ambient light. In noon sunlight the shots should be over-exposed, possibly leaving the frame almost fully white!

My first trial with the holga involved shooting a frame every hour from 7am to 6pm. 12 shots per roll of 120 film. That gave me an idea of timing which gave best results in a certain setting. Using ambient light of course.

Don't be disheartened, once you are used to the Holga, you will love it!

Yes I cross-processed it. I'm halfway through a slide film now.
Ok I found the film used is Fujichrome Velvia 50 / 36 Exp.
What is ASA? Is it the ISO? I googled and the ISO is 50.

yup, ASA/ISO rates the sensitivity of a film to light.. the lower the number the less sensitive it is, indoors definately isn't enough light for a holga using ISO 50 film, at least gotta be bright noon light.. anyway, if you manage to get the exposure right, velvia has a purplish hue shift when cross processed quite interesting..

Yes I cross-processed it. I'm halfway through a slide film now.
Ok I found the film used is Fujichrome Velvia 50 / 36 Exp.
What is ASA? Is it the ISO? I googled and the ISO is 50.

Ok, ASA/ISO same thing. ISO 50 film is less sensitive to light than ISO 100. The Holga aperture just doesn't let enough light in. It's fixed somewhere between f8 and f11.
Best results I've had were from ISO 400 film and even a roll of B&W ISO 3200 came out surprisingly well.

Up the ISO and keep going!!!

Ok, ASA/ISO same thing. ISO 50 film is less sensitive to light than ISO 100. The Holga aperture just doesn't let enough light in. It's fixed somewhere between f8 and f11.
Best results I've had were from ISO 400 film and even a roll of B&W ISO 3200 came out surprisingly well.

Up the ISO and keep going!!!

ok thanks. I'm halfway through a Lomography Xpro 200. would it be like that? or better? i think the iso for this is 200 right ?

ok thanks. I'm halfway through a Lomography Xpro 200. would it be like that? or better? i think the iso for this is 200 right ?

given the same light conditions it should be better since the film is technically more sensitive to light.

i used the white flash and i played around with iso400 films when i first got my holga.

now i use provia100.

keep shooting!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.