Help recommend a compact digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshfong

Jan 6, 2006
Hi,

My compact film camera just retired. I am looking into digital camera since the price has come down a bit. I have browsed through the threads here and still remain confuse. There are so many models to choose from. Any one can recommend me a camera that is good and easy to use. Preferrably a camera that can print direct to a pc printer? Thank you. :)

joshfong said:
Hi,

My compact film camera just retired. I am looking into digital camera since the price has come down a bit. I have browsed through the threads here and still remain confuse. There are so many models to choose from. Any one can recommend me a camera that is good and easy to use. Preferrably a camera that can print direct to a pc printer? Thank you. :)

Nowadays most cams can print directly to printer.

Check out the following sites:

www.dcresource.com

www.dpreview.com

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

felixcat8888 said:
Nowadays most cams can print directly to printer.

Check out the following sites:

www.dcresource.com

www.dpreview.com

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Go to a shop get a selection of all the cameras within your budget and play around with them. If generaly you are printing 4Rs, not a lot of difference image wise between the current available crop.

For me the decsion was a combination of what did I need (point & shoot or DSLR, or something in between), price, how comfortable it fealt holding it and how easy it is to get to the functions you would use most of the time, (for me it was, review, delete, flash control and timer, you would be surprised how many small digicams used to have the timer function buried 2 or 3 levels down in the menus)

No right or wrong choice as long as you stick to the more popular models, they are popular for a reason ;)

The more popular models are Panasonic FX9 and Sony T9.
If u anyhow ask the salesman to recommend, some of them will recommend the not-so-popular models.

joshfong said:
Hi,

Sorry to break it to you, but ALL digital cameras nowadays are designed to fit the criteria you mentioned. All of them easy to use (or so think the manufacturers) and can print directly to photo printers.

It'll help if you can be more specific. What are your needs.

Thanks for all your help especially the links and pointers. They are useful for a beginner like me to begin with. I am happy to know digicam has the ability to print direct to printer, I suppose I've have to get the newer model for such function.

Thank you Austin, I'll take a look at FX9 and Sony T9 this weekend.

Thank you solarii, my needs are simple. I'll want to take family picture and bring it out occasionally for use outdoor and travel. Most important of all is to allow me to select and print direct to a printer without hassle which I am most concern of.

:)

why not consider LX1?
although is not that cheap due to just came out in the market recently but has the 16:9 aspect ratio and can shot in RAW mode.
you can go look for some of its pictures under panasonic forum thread titled LX1 rocks!

I've always been a canon fan when choosing a digi camera, but nikon fan for a SLR haha
anyway my advice will be depending on ur budget and how much megapixel u want in a camera.. u wan ur camera to be stylish? or wad i'm using da IXUS 50 now and has do me wonders.. worth reccomanding to the bros.. da IXUS I5 is a good choice for stylish cams.. i never like FX9.. never like their focusing.. jus my personal views.. :)

I'm a canon digi cam fan too, recomend u to check out the canon Ixus series & A series.

IMHO choose those digi cam that use AA batt is more convinient.

I personally like the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon Powershot S2 IS..

joshfong said:
Hi,

jeryltan said:
I personally like the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon Powershot S2 IS..

FZ30 is rather noisy at higher iso but not worse than S2.
anyway you can always get rid of the noise with noise reduction software.

Get the Samsung Digimax Pro815 :thumbsup:

anyone with any comments on fujifilm Z2? I am thinking of getting a ultra compact... so far shortlisted T9, FX9 and Z2... With the FX9 being the most likely candidate... :)

i using FX8, it is almost same as FX9 so i think it is good also

joshfong said:
Hi,

fujifilm f11. the images are good! the high ISO ones are good...gives DSLRs a run for their money. battery life is more than 500 shots.

I'm using a Fuji Z1 :) Not bad too...

compro_1975 said:
i using FX8, it is almost same as FX9 so i think it is good also
precious.jas said:
I'm using a Fuji Z1 :) Not bad too...

Thanks for the comments...

precious.jas: Jus saw this evening that courts selling the Z1 at $399. Think this is a good deal?? :think:

Da'GimCi C0d3 said:
Thanks for the comments...

precious.jas: Jus saw this evening that courts selling the Z1 at $399. Think this is a good deal?? :think:
What?? So cheap now!! Think mine was $600+ fr Cathay leh! Def good deal lah! Mine's only coming 3mths old...

precious.jas said:
What?? So cheap now!! Think mine was $600+ fr Cathay leh! Def good deal lah! Mine's only coming 3mths old...

think probably pressured by the new Z2... :D

T9 not bad.. but pricey.. worth buying.. but it depends on how u see things. and wad's ur ideal camera and functions..

Status
Not open for further replies.