help..Really need DC suggestions for travel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

destrooper

Apr 3, 2004
hi guys

a friend directed me to this forum, hopefully i will get some good suggestions. :thumbsup:

going for a trip in about 3 weeks and am looking to buy a DC of at least 3 mp.. i am mainly interested in taking pics of scenery and need a cam with a good battery life as i will be moving about quite a bit and staying in hostels where its inconvenient to charge daily. :rolleyes:

currently nikon coolpix 3200 seems to be the best choice. but i am also interested in Minolta DiMAGE F100

my budget is about 400, however if its really too good a deal to miss i am willing to pay about 100-200 more for it

basically.. the most bang for the buck! :devil:

it would be great if you could post the price along with the model and also any shops that are recommended as i am a novice at these areas

thanks heaps!
;p

destrooper said:
hi guys

a friend directed me to this forum, hopefully i will get some good suggestions. :thumbsup:

going for a trip in about 3 weeks and am looking to buy a DC of at least 3 mp.. i am mainly interested in taking pics of scenery and need a cam with a good battery life as i will be moving about quite a bit and staying in hostels where its inconvenient to charge daily. :rolleyes:

currently nikon coolpix 3200 seems to be the best choice. but i am also interested in Minolta DiMAGE F100

my budget is about 400, however if its really too good a deal to miss i am willing to pay about 100-200 more for it

basically.. the most bang for the buck! :devil:

it would be great if you could post the price along with the model and also any shops that are recommended as i am a novice at these areas

thanks heaps!
;p

I think the more popular camera for travel would be the Canon A70 or A75. A brand new one would cost around $500, but if you don't mind, I'm sure you could get it at the stated budget 2nd hand.

Now, what's good about this camera is that it's quite compact (not ultra compact though), uses AA battery (so when you travel, you can just use and throw... yes, it's wasteful! But if you're travelling, it's the option you really want!), and best of all, it allow quite a fair amount of manual control found in no other consumer digicams. The manual controls would be good in future, if you're getting serious into photography too!

I agreed with what The Cheat said.. if u are really concern about the battery life, find a camera that uses AA batteries.

Alternatively get rechargeable AA batteries and a compact charger.

If you take lots of photos ensure you have the means to store them outside of the media card(s) you carry, lest you run out of storage space on those cards. Alternatively you can shoot can slightly lower photo quality settings, which shouldn't decrease the quality of prints too much if you plan on printing only 4Rs.

jimtong said:
For price, you can check out bargaincity.com

Use this site as ref.

heheheh....i did and the first thing i saw on their homepage was a photo of a bunch of caucasians grinning at you, and below the pic is the tagline : "Singapore's Online Merchant for...."...

I couldn't help smiling at the irony of it. Why not use Malays, Indians or Chinese for the ad ? Yeah, I know its a global economy, and Singaporeans have always had a Pinkerton syndrome, but I thought it was sadly amusing.

chriszzz said:
heheheh....i did and the first thing i saw on their homepage was a photo of a bunch of caucasians grinning at you, and below the pic is the tagline : "Singapore's Online Merchant for...."...

I couldn't help smiling at the irony of it. Why not use Malays, Indians or Chinese for the ad ? Yeah, I know its a global economy, and Singaporeans have always had a Pinkerton syndrome, but I thought it was sadly amusing.

Err... big time OT leh! :(

The advantage of A70 / A75 is there is manual and creative control for you to grow in the photography skills. If what you need is just an automatic point and shoot camera, I highly recommend Nikon 3700 which is very small, very light weight, stylist, very strong movie recording and a lot of preset mode for a novice user.
3700 is better than 3200 in term of night landscape shot and better movie mode. and some additional feature like sound release shutter.

great! :thumbsup:

i will have a look at the canon A70, A75 and also nikon 3700... ;)

will go check up on the specs now..

i might possibly go the non-AA battery route seeing that the camera would be expensive to maintain once im back :think:

hmm

what about minolta dimage XT, f100 ? any comments ? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.